Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Paint coming off of sink.

The paint - that I stupidly thought was corian - is flaking off around the drains in our sinks - which I now know to be "painted stainless steel!" The sides appear to be firmly adhered. So far I've simply hidden the problem using a couple of rubber mats in the bottom of each sink - but every time the mats are out to dry it annoys me to look at the flaking paint. Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, how did you fix it? It looks like the sinks are removable - but if I could simply remove all of the paint in place - leaving the stainless steel finish I'd be happy!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
My parents 2001 MH had the same issue. They had Jackson Center remove the peeling sink and replace it with a stainless steel one. A member of our club with a 2002 Classic actually striped hers and painted it with POR 15 Hardnose. It looks good, but she tells me that the finish would have been better if she had it sprayed on instead of using a brush to paint it on.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Try some of that stripper that has citrus in it from the big box store near you. Tape and cover where you don't want stripped, follow directions.. rinse gray tank well and soon.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Try this - BOILING WATER. Heat enough to fill the sink to the rim. Get it to a rolling boil. Dump it in the sink and let it sit until it cools enough to put your hand in. Use something like a metal spatula and start where it is worn, working your way outward.

Of course you may find that it's not STAINLESS under there - but a second rate metal. In that case, either repaint or replace.

The citrus stuff may not work if they used a good epoxy. In that case you'll need something really heavy duty and stinky. Remove the sink to do that kind of work.

(or hire a professional tub restorer - but know your results will only last 5 to 10 years)

Paula
Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I have the same problem with my sink. Im going to remove it and start looking for an exact fit stainless sink. I would strip it completely but like its been mentioned already, the bottom of the sink is beginning to rust a bit where the paint has flaked off. I will tackle this issue this winter when im just dying to get into another project?!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote