Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
Overhead cabineet light switch "adjustment"

We have a brand new 2018 Classic 30 and I am trying to get everything operating as it's supposed to. Almost have the FireFly system 100%. Ditto with most of the other 25+ items on my punch list.

One of the simplest yet most irritating outstanding items it the overhead bin lights are "irregularly inoperable" to put a spin on it. A few of the light switches came with a finished wood shim attached to the inside of the door so that the switch was sufficiently depressed when the door closed to turn off the light. Others had a very small plastic bumper (<1/4 inch dia), most of which were misaligned and missed the light switch plunger completely. I'd say that 3/4 of the doors had lights remain on when closed.

No problem I said. I went down and bought the best large 3M bumpers I could find and replaced the originals, aligning them. Great. A few days later I noticed lights on again. On examination, the bumper had slipped and were no longer aligned with the plungers.

No problem I said again. Obviously some problem with the adhesion. I used some solvent to clean off the area and re-applied new bumpers. Seemed to solve the problem. Then I had an overhead door open and the bumper just fell off.

"*^*$$ Problem" I said. Worse kind. simple problem, obvious solution, continued failure. Maybe some forum member has solved this problem. I am looking for a permanent, fail-safe approach. Right now it is affecting my rosy disposition and relationship with the Airstream dream.

Things I am considering:

1. Add permanent shims fabricated out of wood or plastic wither epoxied or screwed to the interior of the doors, with a large landing area that would be impossible for the plunger to miss.

2. Extend the plunger itself with some kind of concentrically coupled plastic/metal tube extender.

3. Check with the forum for bright ideas.

I'll start with #3. Anyone out there with a permanent solution to this problem?

Thanks!
Bothell, WA
WBCCI 03495
JimskyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I used the white rubberish caps made for wire shelving. One of the sizes fits perfectly over the plungers. Worked for last 8 years. Bags of the caps are at any of the big boxes in the shelving dept.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote