Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Out with the couch, in with Ekornes chairs

What do you think of modifying/customizing the "great room" and getting rid of the couch and putting in a table between two Ekornes chairs?

Other than cost, I do nothing like this myself , do you see problems with weight change? I know I need to maintain hitch weight. I have no idea what the couch weighs or the Ekornes chairs.

Would I have to screw the chairs to the floor? Do you think the Univolt could be moved about 1-1 1/2 feet to the center into a credenza of sorts?

We find the couch uncomfortable. Since the trailer has a dent and has dropped in value to almost 1/4 of what we paid it is ours forever, I guess.
Brenda will not go for a new longer one.

I take it some of you guys have "gutted" trailers and did what you wished. Any advice?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

That must be some kinda dent to drop the value that far.

We also have a 25', so our lounge area is roughly the same as yours - and the couch is our favorite feature (but then, we had it reupholstered). More on this anon.

There are threads scattered throughout the archive by people who have done something similar, although not with Ekornes chairs that I recall. The converter can be moved, but VERY heavy cables are involved and, as I take it you are not "handy" you will need a professional to do it.

You will also need to deal with the bare floor under the present couch/storage.

Weight is not likely to be a major issue. The couch is not very heavy, maybe 100 lbs with storage and all. The chairs may move some depending upon the flooring they set upon. The movement will be almost always forward, so you may be able to improvise some kind of block. You will, of course, loose the under sofa storage.

If you take out the couch, save everything as the future buyer may be me, or someone like me, who will want to deduct a big chunk off the price for the missing couch.

And yes, one of the reasons I bought used was for the freedom to treat the coach as a blank slate.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Well, maybe I exaggerated a little in the depreciation; itsa small dent. As for saving the couch--where? I have no room in this house/garage and I think the couch is a flexsteel, however it does fit the curvature of the trailer so you have a point.

Thanks for the thinking/advice.....I guess I should quit trying to re create home.

Kistler

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 05-06-2004, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
For us the Coach is a favorite feature...ours is actually a Goucho. We are replacing the cushion with a thick futon to get rid of the shot foam. Our coach does not have a seperate dinette. Out table fold against the wall. With two kids this allows us to open up floor space for play if the weather or bugs are not making it outdoor friendly.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We must have the same layout/floor-plan; the couch folds out into a bed, I guess--there are just the two of us + pets so that we would not miss but future sale might suffer if we remove the couch.

The couch isn't like having your own "stressless" chair but it looks good and is OK as couches go. Our table folds out, or up really, and then can flip open to be across in front of the couch a little over half way. On the other end is a single flip up "writing table" which we don't use at all but the patior chairs are stored in the cabinet.

The table across the front of the divan that we use for eating is a bit awkward as you have to sit on the edge of the couch to be close to your plate--I need to be pretty close as I am messy.

The dinette in our MH was uncomfortable--like sitting on boards--so we thought the couch was/would be better.

K
Old 05-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
The table across the front of the divan that we use for eating is a bit awkward as you have to sit on the edge of the couch to be close to your plate
Unless things have changed for the worse, this should not be necessary. That folding table is on a track (or at least they used to be) which allows it to slide toward the couch. You ought to be able to position it optimally.

Mark
Old 05-06-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Yeah, guess they changed that! Now that is something I wish hadn't been dropped; sliding the table closer to the couch would be a big help.

Ours expands left to right with sliding leg support pulled to max it is OK that way. It attaches to the credenza with a piano hinge for flipping out there is a different kind of hinge????? never seen its type before.

K
Old 05-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
It attaches to the credenza with a piano hinge for flipping out there is a different kind of hinge????? never seen its type before. K
On mine, and others I have seen (all of which are before 2000), the piano hinge is screwed to a slide on the credenza. It is not at all obvious and could easily be mistaken for the hinge mount. You raise the table up, the leg drops down, and the table will slide fore and aft. On mine the slide is relatively stiff, which is as it should be as you don't want it slip slide'n around. In fact, because of the table fitting up tight against the credenza when up, I have to slide it with the table only partly raised.

I cannot believe Airstream would discontinue such a useful, really essential feature.

Mark
Old 05-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I can't wait to get to the stoarge yard and look; I hope ours has that. Thank you for mentioning it.

It might be much cheaper to buy foot stools than throw out the couch and buy two Ekornes.

Kistler