Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 07:40 AM   #1
skk

1974 31' Excella 500
carbondale , Colorado
original or not

I am the new owner of a 1974 excella 500 in nice condition. This is my first Airstream. I am curious to know if these campers are worth more in original condition, or if that is not really important for resale? I am thinking about redoing the interior in a more contemporary style, but maybe that is a mistake?
skk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by skk View Post
I am the new owner of a 1974 excella 500 in nice condition. This is my first Airstream. I am curious to know if these campers are worth more in original condition, or if that is not really important for resale? I am thinking about redoing the interior in a more contemporary style, but maybe that is a mistake?
You bought it to please youself, not others.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
My opinion is that if it's in NICE condition, and has a floor-plan you can live with, leave it as is. Resale will likely be better if it's pristine original, and you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and $.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Keeping it original ( or close ) is probably the easiest thing to do. But then again it is your trailer so customize it to your personal liking if you want. If you keep your modifications to practical and stay away from extreme I really don't see you impacting the overall value too much. If your trailer is a candidate for long life at some point it will be overhauled anyway. Most important thing is get out and enjoy it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Make it the way you want it and enjoy it. You didn't buy it for the next guy
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Make it the way you want it and enjoy it. You didn't buy it for the next guy
Absolutely. As long as your changes are done well and you dont go crazy, the resale value wont be affected in any negative way. I would spend most of your initial time looking to make sure that it isn't leaking anywhere and that your floor and frame are in good condition. Too many folks look at the interior with an idea of remodeling without considering that its all for naught if you're frame is rusting away.

Also, if the axles are original, then budget in for a new pair or you will do more damage riding down the road as the whole superstructure will flex much more and will pop the rivets holding the skins on.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
From what I've seen on the forums, most people end up putting more into their trailers than they will likely get back if they ever decide to sell. I know that's my case, but RickDavis said it perfectly. I would say to update as much as you want to make your camping safe, fun, comfortable and enjoyable.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Irrigon , Oregon
We have chosen to stay original, except for carpet, upholstery, curtains. Nothing to do with anything, we just like the style.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by skk View Post
I agree with Andy: make yourself happy. Either way, redo it or not, there will be buyers, and I don't see how a well-done interior upgrade could harm the value. There are no shortage of those models around, if someone wants an original one.

I would definitely focus on making sure all the appliances are in tip-top shape, and are modern. NOBODY will object to a brand new furnace, toilet, water heater, mattresses, AC unit or a refurbished cooling unit in the refer (fridge). And none of those things are in 'nice' shape if they are original.

THAT will help hold the value up.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
I couldn't agree with Andy more!!! Contemporary and modern is a nice way to go!
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
As everybody else has said, it is your trailer to use as you think you want. Just remember a couple things;

1. Any major refurbishment will take money and/or time.
2. Plan what you want and then implement it.
3. Avoid the "I'll do that part later" thought process (you'll only wish you had done it the first time, and there are enough of those thoughts without intentionally adding to the list)
4. Be prepared for family, friends, and coworkers to have ideas. Some are good and some are not, choose what YOU want.
5. Have fun and enjoy it.

As for down the road, original or not, if it is in good working order, you'll get your best value.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote