Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
Newbie Disappointed in AS Quality

My wife and I purchased a new 2015 28 Ft. FC last August. We love the trailer but we are disappointed in the quality. We continue to have hinges that come lose and plastic hooks that hold the cabinets closed that have screws come out. How do you screw them back in so that they are secure? The cabinet wood isn't real wood it is pressed board or some type of composition material I think that is why the screws vibrate lose. The plastic door hook that holds our medicine cabinet closed came lose and the hinge at the top of the medicine cabinet has also come lose. The plastic door hook on our closet next to the refrigerator has the screw come lose as well as a screw that holds the hinge to a cabinet in the BR came lose causing the door to fall off. I know that these trailers bounce down the road but there should be some way to keep the screws that hold the hinges and latches from coming lose. Can someone tell me what type of "wood filler" to buy so that the screws can be put back and tightened? I'm frustrated that so many screws and latches are malfunctioning. Is this just our unit or have other owners had the same problem? Any help/advice that others can give me will be greatly appreciated. We are leaving in less than two months on a six week WBCCI caravan and these items need be fixed before we leave. I don't mean to rant; we love the AS forum and every AS owner whom we have met has been friendly and helpful but we are disappointed in the quality of our AS.
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I would check the hitch. What brand do you have? I am guessing that you have it set up wrong and are shaking things badly. Do you see any rivets loose on the inside or outside, and items moving around in the trailer?
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:35 PM   #3
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I usually try inserting a broken off toothpick into the hole then along with some type of glue I screw that screw back in. More often then not this will work.

PS...for the cost I agree that the quality control should be much better.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
If the tooth pick doesn't work you can use a wood dowel, slightly larger than the current hole, drill out to the dowel size and glue it in place. Then do a starter hole for the screw.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Are you Towing with a Dually ?

Are you able to take it in for service/warranty work ?
Old 05-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I think CBWELL has a point. You haven't said what your TV is or the details of your hitch set up. For example, when I first got my 2009 27' FB, I was towing with a F350, a very stiff suspension. Add to that I had 1200 lb rated bars which the combination was killing the trailer. I switched to 600 lb bars and life was a lot better for me and the trailer.
That being said, simple wood screws in particle board are a design for failure in a trailer. Where ever I can, I replace them with machine screws backed with as large a washer I can fit and nut and lock washer. The top hinged mirror in the bathroom is a prime example. So many, including me, have forgotten to release the hinge lock on the left hand side and blown out the wood screws in 1/2 inch particle board.
Warranty should cover the items you've listed. Take it back to the dealer.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
I think you're gonna learn a whole lot on the Caravan. The quality of your AS is just like every other AS, but your experience is not. So what are the variables? I would suspect the hitch set-up as CBWELL observes. Not the hitch, the set up. Also $200 invested in Centramatics - call Andy on that one - will make a world of difference. Maybe past driving conditions contributed - last year while on a 45 mile dirt road detour, I was going about 15 - 20 MPH and a yahoo came around me at 50 or more.
Not saying you would do that, but speed on US 99 in California will bust your teeth.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 19' Flying Cloud
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
evergreen , Colorado
After 2 years and several warranty fixes, the screws still are still falling out; the dowel insert is a good solution. I complained to AS sales VP at Denver RV show. He said it was an unusual list of system failures, including some minor screw malfunctions . We were surprised at the 17 problems we encountered in the first 18 months.
masterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Tow Hitch and Tow Vehicle

Thank everyone for your suggestions and questions about my AS quality post. I am towing with a Hensley Hitch with 1,000 lb. bars. I do have a new tow vehicle, I originally towed with an Infiniti QX 56 I recently purchased a GMC Denali 2500 Diesel. The problems with loose screws has occurred with both tow vehicles although they seem to be worse with the new truck. Originally when we purchased the AS we would find screws on the floor of the trailer after towing the trailer. Right now we have the bathroom mirror with loose screw that holds the hinge at the top and a loose screw in the plastic latch on the right side of the mirror. We have twin beds, with two small closets at the foot of each bed. The door to one of the closets came off due to a screw that came loose on the top hinge. There is a trap plywood door beneath the cushion on the dinette, the trap door has a piano hinge every screw in the hinge has come out, and there is a strip of wood 2 X 2 under the plywood seat in the storage area that fell off we found it on the floor of the storage area under the dinette seat. The closet beside the refrigerator had a screw come loose that held the plastic latch. That plastic latch has on that door is broken. This is not acceptable quality the trailer was purchased on 8/11/14 and was stored and unused from 11/1 until 4/15/15. It has been towed approximately 5,000 miles all on interstate highways.
Charlottesville, VA
Old 05-03-2015, 07:01 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
I have the same trailer, only ours is a 2013. Have not had any problems similar and I also tow with a 2500 Duramax. I do have an Airsafe Hitch in addition to my Equalizer and I do believe it gives the trailer an softer ride. Especially over rough expansion joints, railroad tracks, etc..
Check out the Airsafe website for more info.
There are others on the forum that also use the Airsafe.
Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I'm gonna second the need to ensure your wheels are balanced. I'm in the process of changing the headliner in our 2002 Bambi. Once the old headliner was removed I was truly shocked at the number of interior ceiling rivets that have sheared off - the only culprit that comes to my mind to cause this would be wheel balance.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ed, we want to help! So, thanks for giving timely reply.

So, are you towing your AS level or nose up/down?

Have you weighed it? Was it fully loaded or dry? Do you tow with water in the fresh tank?

Have you taken the AS and had the running gear balanced? What is your tire brand and wheel size? Tire pressures? What speed?

For those of us who have older AS, this is merely annoying stuff. Yes, from mild to insanely annoying.. And, actually I can imagine how you feel about it.

Our AS is a bit out of warranty, it is all on us...to maintain and repair. So we must ask for help then apply the creativeness of this group balanced with my lack of talent.

In your case, I would insist on repairs by AS. Yes, repairs at dealers cost time and money... But it is documented in event of a lemon law or more civil recourse.

Regarding the cabinet quality, the "green" folks may say "sustainability"... I prefer another word beginning with "s" for that "stuff". No manufacturing is perfect and unless you report to AS, the problem will never get resolved by them.

If you plan to keep the AS "forever", fix it yourself. Use adhesives to strengthen the wood to screw adhesion. Put a dowel as mentioned above. This will give a wider bonding area to the cabinet and better wood for the screw to grab.

If you add a toothpick to the hole then drive the screw, you might put too much pressure and cause a bigger hole or split the wood. So ask about each fix you envision. There are some great wood workers on the forum who can help!

A final thought... If the screws have been overtightened at AS, stripped out wood material from the hole, the same screw will never stay in. This is where you may be able to add some toothpick or other wood with a bit of glue to see if it will hold ( usually this gives a great, long term fix.

Let us know!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
If possible I would consider warranty at dealer. Primarily because the quality issue gets back to airstream. However dealers are not always convenient and in my case 500 miles away. Wood golf tees work good, they are already tapered. Tap lightly cut off to length. Works on screw holes nicely. I feel your frustration.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I suspect the hitch is not set up correctly. Your comment about more problems after getting the new truck almost confirms my thinking. The 2500HD has a lot stiffer suspension than the QX. Call Hensley and explain to them what is happening and ask for suggestions. I am not familiar with the Hensly/ProPride, but maybe some owners of these hitches could give some insight and help. As others have mentioned, check the tire balance. Good luck and keep us posted. Chris
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
The ProPride is the next version of the Hensley design.

I own a PP and on our 34' triple axle works great once dialed in.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Ed: We've been towing and or RVing for 50 years. There are so many variables involved between tow vehicle, set up, air pressure, hitch set up, tire pressure in trailer roads traveled on it's virtually impossible to tell from a forum what is going on. Our current set up pops rivets, loosens screws etc and I know it, expect it and live with it. We tow with a n F350 (1 Ton Diesel) not dual wheel, but almost as bad. I've gone to light bars to try and help and it does a bit.

When a screw comes out I put in some glue, some saw dust and screw it in and let it sit before using the door or whatever for a while. Seems to work. Hinges the same. Hooks basically the same. Rivets I put back in and grind down the heads. When the trailer goes in for work, I let the techs handle what I have not under warranty. Understand the frustrations, but we recently had a 38' MoHo, considered very high end that made falling screws seem insignificant; they are not, but compared they are too us.

After so many years of doing this, and being type A, to my wife's pleasant surprise I've finally learned what is, is and "these are the good times". as the song goes.

Good luck.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We've had our AS for 14 years. Self-loosening screws has been an ongoing maintenance issue. But, it's pretty easy to resolve. I always carry an assortment of screws (various lengths and diameter). If you can replace the screw that falls out with one that's longer and/or larger, that's a good way to solve the problem. Another way to fix a hole that's gotten too big for the screw is to take a small piece of aluminum foil. Roll it tightly into a small piece that's slightly bigger than the hole then jam it in as far and as tightly as it will go so that it fills the hole the screw fits in. Then take the end of a screwdriver handle and tamp down the bit of foil that's sticking out of the screw hole. Tamp it down to ensure the foil completely fills the hole and so that it's flush with the surface. Then, screw right into the foil filler. It should hold pretty well. I've done this many times. Same idea as filling the hole with wood filler, toothpicks, or a dowel, but it requires no drilling or drying time and you're probably likely to have foil onboard to make this quick fix.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Boerne , Texas
I have had my new 2014 airstream FB flying cloud 8 months. I can not tell how disappointed I have Been in the Quality for a $73000.00 RV. I thought I was buying the best RV made. Surely has not been the case. By the time I sell it it will surely be better than new!!!
Rusty Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Iceman, thank you for your reply to my post concerning AS quality. It may very well be my hitch setup; I have a Hensley Hitch and I'm now towing with a GMC 2500 truck. I was towing with an SUV (Infiniti QX 56) I have had problems since the very beginning with loose screws. However it does seem to have become a little worse since I got the truck although it is a pleasure towing with the truck because you don't even know that the trailer is behind it. You mentioned $200 invested in Centramatics - call Andy. What is a Centramatics? I have talked to someone at Can AM when we first go the trailer about the hitch but that was eight months ago. I will call him again and sincerely appreciate your suggestions. It's interesting that I have not met a single AS owner that hasn't gone out of their way to be EXTREMELY helpful and whom I haven't liked. However, I have been to four AS dealers for warranty work and there is only one place that I would go back to again. I think that I am going to have to take the trailer to Jackson Center to have it done correctly.
Charlottesville, VA
Old 05-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Bud, thanks so much for your reply and for putting my problems in the proper prospective. You are right; we have also owned MoHo's and I'm familiar with the headaches etc. We started off camping and thinking that anyone who stayed in a trailer or MoHo was crazy and might as well stay home. As we've gotten older we have become softer and enjoy the comforts of being off the ground. We love the life style so I should stop complaining and learn to fix the small problems that occur. I'm just sick of loose screws, broken latches, and hinges falling off a new trailer but I love the life style so I'll learn to cope. I am also a type A so I know what you mean. Again many thanks for your reply!
Charlottesville, VA