Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiman57
...a really smooth interior; can you tell me about your wall materials and finish? Thanks!
I am also interested.
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Stone Mountain , Georgia
very nice indeed. I like the mix of old with the new, well done. so it is just for drinking and sleeping, huh? :-D
SpiritAtBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Matt, Beautiful job
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Bardon , Queensland
Wall materials and finish

Hey All,

Thanks again for your wonderfully supportive comments!

Tikiman57 and colberjs, I'm not sure that I completely understand the question but let me see if I can answer it anyway...

What interior materials and finishes?...

The interior skin is completely original. It's the vinyl covered aluminium that comes with airstreams of this vintage. We cleaned it thoroughly with Selleys Sugar soap which got rid of all the grubby dirt etc. There was a kind of sticky residue in parts and it wasn't clear to me if that was grease or (more likely) something coming out of the vinyl coating as it broke down after the years. I used Prepsol to get rid of that gummy stickiness.

We then gave it a light sand all over to improve the key for the paint.

Then we hit it with an undercoat / primer called Zinser. This stuff is almost like a glue with an undercoat. It claims to stick to anything, even glass.

After that, we painted two coats of Dulux Wash and Wear water based paint which has low VOC properties.

The paint colour is called "Antique White USA". If you look at a swatch of it next to pure white, it has the slightest pink hue. Of course, on the walls it doesn't look pink, just white with the tiniest warmth. I don't like whites with yellow in them, they tend towards cream.

Antique White USA is a standard and pretty common wall colour here in Australia which is made by mixing a tiny amount of burnt umber hue with pure white. Don't ask me how much, they did it in the store. : )

I hope that answers the question.

If not, perhaps you are asking about the new cabinetry and partitions I installed. These are made from 18mm MDF (medium density fiberboard). Because our trailer is permanantly sited, we don't have to worry about weight. This material is quite heavy and if we were going to take the AS on the road, we would have used a thin ply instead.

The blue coloured doors on the cabinets are your standard laminex covered kitchen materials. I can't recall the colour but if you want to know I can look through our records. We aren't totally in love with the colour - we're thinking of changing these to a faux walnut which would reference the original AS finishes and would key in nicely where we still have some vestiges of those finishes.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if I missed the question.
Matt.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , British Columbia
Matt - Wow! A gorgeous job! Can I ask - did you move the bath to the side or was that original?
saltygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Nice job on the office space, and the totally hidden bath...
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Great looking remodel! Are the counter tops bamboo plywood?
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote