Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Needed: curtain stain sleuths

I just went out to check the interior of our Airstream after a day of rain--always hoping for the best but anticipating leaks--and found brownish edged stains on the curtains over the front windows. When we bought the AS four years ago, it had these stains. After light laundering, the stains disappeared and had not reappeared until now. We have recaulked around windows thinking that needed to be done considering the age of the trailer. I have run my fingers all along the window, caulking, on the fuzzy wall covering below, and everywhere I can imagine, but find no wetness. Can these stains come from condensation in the trailer? But why would we have condensation when it has been closed and winterized through Jan and Feb? Thanks for any suggestions. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
I went out to our camper the other night when it was raining an noticed a small stream running down the inside of the screen. When we first got it, we had problems around that same window. the piece of wood where the table hooks in was rotted. never really found a leak either. i did the same thing you did and ran my finger all the way around it and couldnt find where it might be coming in. i am thinking now it may be that little window in the roof, cant remeber what it is called, wonder if it is running inside the wall somewhere? i hope someone know the answer so we can both figure this one out.
Tammy
https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Georgia,
I wouldn't be surprised to see condensation stains especially as varied as the weather has been this year. My torn apart trailer has been growing mildew at an alarming rate due to the temperature swings. The only two ways I know to deal with condensation are keep heat and air on it, or try using some version of Damp Rid. A dehumidifier wouldn't hurt either.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've got the same light stains on the curtains behind the curved front panes. I've hesitated to wash the curtains since the stains don't really show unless the curtains are fully closed. It's got to be some kind of condensation thing. I've never detected any leaks - but, even though I've never noticed it in the three or four years I've owned the trailer, I can imagine condensation having previously occurred on the inside of the panes.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Are the stains on both curtains or just one? Location of stain- top ,bottom ,middle.
There is a window bow that runs over top of the front windows, it has hole punched in it above the curved windows.If there is a leak from above the window it can run down into the bow and drip out of the holes and drip on curtain without getting on anything else. Next time it rains look over curved windows at plastic window trim.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
The stains ripple across all the curtains in the front, behind and on the sides of the sofa. Like Cracker, I've never noticed moisture or condensation, though I've read many posts from others who speak of water running down inside walls, windows and so on. The curtains launder well using a gentle detergent (I was sure they'd fray apart the first time I laundered them) so I guess I'll just take them down, wash, and hope that's the end of it after this winter of temperature ups and downs, as Wahoonc pointed out. Thanks, all.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yep it's condensation

I left a pillow on top of my dinette seat, leaning against the curtains and got the same stain. I got home in time to see the actual condensation on the window and found the curtain damp. The stain showed up when the curtain dried. I laid the white curtain on a white towel and gently spritzed it with a spray bottle. I then blotted it until the stain faded. When it dried it was like new. (I probably could have gotten away with hand washing it, but why risk it.)

Paula
Old 03-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
You would be surprised at the amount of water generated by the windows during the winter months.

If you the trailer is note in inside storage - you will have the suns heat cuase just enough condensation to make the windows drip. If your curtains are not nice and tight - which I see many of them bag - then the base of the curtains will be sucking up the moisture.

if you had caught it at its peak you woud have seen your curtains soaking wet almost. - I normally leave small tea towels in the window wells so that they soak up the moisture - and keep an eye out when it is mild more than a couple of days so they do not get moldy.

A bit of bleach in the wash works great! to remove water stains.

You can also hang those "moisture" away ball thingies they apparently work great.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
That ring is usually a dust or dirt ring left behind once the fabric has been exposed to moisture. There is no real way to remove it without leaving more rings other than to balance it out like Paula said by spraying the entire piece with a spray bottle. If this does not work the only other alternative to get the ring out would be to oxidize with Oxcyclean. Put a few panels in a very gentle non-agitating hand wash cycle and let them sit for a few hours. You can lighty dry them but do not allow heavy heat..this is what will shrink them. Dry cleaning will not remove the rings.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Threads
I went out to our camper the other night when it was raining an noticed a small stream running down the inside of the screen. When we first got it, we had problems around that same window. the piece of wood where the table hooks in was rotted. never really found a leak either. i did the same thing you did and ran my finger all the way around it and couldnt find where it might be coming in. i am thinking now it may be that little window in the roof, cant remeber what it is called, wonder if it is running inside the wall somewhere? i hope someone know the answer so we can both figure this one out.
Tammy
Tammy,
The best bet is to reseal ALL windows around the frames on the outside, including the vista views (roof windows) the next thing to do is redo the plumbing stacks, then start looking for loose or missing exterior rivets. All of those items can contribute to leaks. And what really makes it fun is that the water can run along a horizontal stringer and show up inside way away from where it is getting in.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote