Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Need replacement queen bed

My wife wants to replace our queen bed in our one year old Safari. She says it already has a dip on both sides and doesn't sleep well to her. She measured it and went to "The Original Mattress Factory" and they can make a short queen bed but it won't have the rounded corners. The orthopedic mattress is $625 plus tax. Has anyone had an inner spring mattress made with rounded corners by another mattress maker?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
I have heard that you can have a custom mattress made to order by any mattress manufacturer. We had the same problem with our foam mattress in our CCD. We considered a sleep number - which comes in RV sizes and is available at Camping World. Pricey, but comfy. Also, an Aerobed will work, but you loose the rounded corners. It is a shame that AS has to put such crumby mattresses in the trailers!

Good Luck!
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I have a custom made mattress in the CCD. The PO had it made and after looking at the new models 3 weeks ago - I have to agree the custom made is mush better. Does not help with your search but it does show that it can be done. The PO also told me that the "new" Airstream mattress was so hated by his wife that it went into the dumpster (OUCH!!!!!) - I would of liked to of had it for a spare.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My wife didn't like the idea of anything inflatable. Is there any label on the mattress that would identify the manufacturer of your bed Clancy Boy?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
My wife didn't like the idea of anything inflatable. Is there any label on the mattress that would identify the manufacturer of your bed Clancy Boy?
Tell you the truth - I never looked. We are packed for the road and I will be in the trailer tonight - I will look and post if I find something. I'm at work right now - bummer - the road calls......

Mike
Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
WE have had a Select Comfort in our home for about 4 years and love it. If I had a queen size bed in an AS it would be a SC matress. The SC matress is adjustable, light weight, absolutely comfortable and reliable.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
replacement bed

Hey Tom,
Does your bed sit fore and aft or sideways in the back ? If it's a sideways model, you could always make the platform a wee bit larger and put a real queen mattress in, upside is it's a VAST improvement over the plywood protector AS gives you, downside is you will lose the "walkaround" feature. For us it was no contest, we never walked around the bed that much. Matter of fact, that thing on top of the bed platform went sailing out the door as soon as I got the trailer to Anchorage.

Sleeping much better now thank you,
Jack
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
put three inches of memory foam on top and anything is comfortable. Works for us!
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
or

you can try getting a mattress made by these folks Artisans Mattress . Fairly spendy but it is a custom cut TemperPedic......
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Did it TWICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
My wife wants to replace our queen bed in our one year old Safari. She says it already has a dip on both sides and doesn't sleep well to her. She measured it and went to "The Original Mattress Factory" and they can make a short queen bed but it won't have the rounded corners. The orthopedic mattress is $625 plus tax. Has anyone had an inner spring mattress made with rounded corners by another mattress maker?
Whew, I can finally reply with authorit-I....

I had a double innerspring made by the Original Mattress Factory for my 22 CCD. I had them angle ALL four corners so that I could actually flip it. I stuff foam pillows in the corners next to the closet and nightstand. On inner springs they can cut an angle, but not a curve, so you could get them to clip the corners at a 45 degree angle. What they didn't tell me was that the new mattress would weigh close to 100 lbs. where the old one weighed about 30..

GOOD luck flipping the mattress in such a tight spot at that weight!

On the 25 FB SE I had a non-latex foam mattress made - I have the sideways queen, and I had a short queen made (60 x 70) and a separate wedge to fit the curve. Foam can be done in any shape. In addition to the 12 inch foam they show on the floor, they do stock 7 inch foam and can make a mattress out of that if you ask them. It's quite a bit more comfortable than the Airstream one was, and doesn't have all that excessive weight of the 12 inch foam or the innerspring mattress. One thing I don't like about the 7 inch mattress is that they didn't sew handles on it to make turning it easier. Ask for them! If I had it to do over I'd have gone with foam on the first mattress.

Paula Ford
Old 06-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Our bed runs parallel to the length of the trailer. My wife checked with Verlo today to see if they could make one with rounded corners. The lady that works there said she thought they had one go out this week that had rounded corners and it was an orthopedic model for about $100 less than "The Original Mattress Factory". The owner was suppose to call tomorrow.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 06-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
MM

I hooked up tonight and went in to look at the mattress, There is no label on it anywhere, sorry. It is a made for size and shape mattress for this bed so I know if you keep looking you will find a source. This was made in Oregon where they bought the trailer. I could call the PO if you are in a real pinch - I have his number.

Let me know - I will be on the road for the rest of the month.

Mike
Old 06-05-2007, 06:10 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I bought a really nice Queen mattress pad (foam & down combo) from Costco for about $150. It totally transformed our Airstream mattress. The bed went from being subpar to completely comfortable. Although it extends a little beyond the parameters of the factory mattress, there's still enough room to walk around the bed.
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
MM

I hooked up tonight and went in to look at the mattress, There is no label on it anywhere, sorry. It is a made for size and shape mattress for this bed so I know if you keep looking you will find a source. This was made in Oregon where they bought the trailer. I could call the PO if you are in a real pinch - I have his number.

Let me know - I will be on the road for the rest of the month.

Mike
Thanks Mike. My wife and I decided last night for her to go back to Verlo today and order and inner spring mattress from them. They can angle the corners and put a pillow top on it. It will be thicker than the current mattress, but we will still be able to walk around it. My only concern is that it may weigh more than the current one and I may have to get heavier struts to lift it to access the storage underneath.

Thanks for offering to call the PO of your trailer.

The new mattress will be $520 plus tax...a little more than I wanted to spend, but it is a custom size and will be their top of the line. I think we will be satisfied.

Thanks again folks for all of your input. Also, a special thanks to you Paula for your incites from your purchase.

Tom, AKA Minnie's Mate.
WBCCI# 4821