Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
My Closet Shelving Solution

Wanted to add shelving to my closet-2012 Flying Cloud 25 ft. rear bedroom. The side walls are too thin to put screws through the shelving holders. Saw lots of posts with the shelves installed in the hanging closet but no real details on just how they did it. This closet will waste a lot of space with just the hanging rod. Deb has the larger closet beside the shower(as it should be, of course). Here is how I did it(with pictures).

1. Purchase two 2ft. x 4 ft. sections of 1/8" White Board(got mine at HD)
2. Purchase an adequate supply of 1"x2" pine - preferably pre-painted white.
3. Determine the depth of wire shelving you need and purchase that(got mine from Lowe's). I used 20" deep and 16" deep.
4. Take a sheet of newspaper-you will need to tape two sheets together to cover the length of the closet.
5. Tape the newspaper to one sidewall of the closet-butting the straight edge up against the front side of the wall and positioning the top edge whereever you choose to have the top of your template to reach. I went to just under the bottom of the hangar as I chose not to remove it.
6. With your fingernail, or a razor knife, follow the back edge of the curved closet wall. This will cut the paper to the exact shape of the wall you need to duplicate.
7. Remove the newspaper and lay the cut template on your first piece of white board with the white side facing up. Trace the outline of the template on the whiteboard.
8. With a sabre saw, cut out the whiteboard following the outline.
9. When the first side is cut, flip it over and place it on top of the other piece of whiteboard, trace the outline on to the whiteboard This will create a mirror image for the opposite sidewall of the closet.
10. Cut this piece out with the sabre saw.
11. Determine the vertical position you desire for your shelves and pencil in a line using a square to ensure that they will be level.
12. Measure the length required for your shelf supports(the 1"x2" pine) and subtract at least 3/4" so that the lip of your wire shelves will fit down over the supports in the front.
13. Cut the shelf supports. Line them up under your pencil lines, glue and clamp them to the whiteboard.
14. Turn the whiteboard over after allowing drying time. Glue and screw 3/4" flat head screws from the back into the shelf supports.
15. Position the whiteboards into the sides of your closet.
16. Cut your wire shelving to fit with a bolt cutter. Install plastic protectors on the cut wire rods.
17. Using some angled positioning, install the shelves. You may need to position and hold the top shelf in place prior to placing the sides in the closet.
You then have customized, totally secure shelving in your closet without the need to drill through the sidewalls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prep2.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	194157   Click image for larger version

Name:	prep3.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	194158  

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	194159   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	194160  

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	194161   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	194162  

Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Nice but why didn't you remove the rod? Haven't put shelves in mine but I did remove the worthless rod.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Actually I found the rod good for hanging shoes upside down over the rod keeping them out of the way. I believe I can remove it any time in the future and may do so later. Thanks.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Thanks for the detail description on hou you did your selves.
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Nice work

Now just a thought. If you do more shelving - especially if it's not going to go all the way to the front of a cabinet door - turn the shelf lip UP. Than way your stuff won't cascade forward off the shelf due to vibration when underway. I've been wanting to put in a cup shelf in cabinet over the sink in my new EB. Was planning to us the same shelving you did, but lip up - and let the cup lie on their sides with the handles between the rungs on the shelving. When underway, a bungee cord through the handles would keep them ON the shelf. I'll have to cut the shelving width down, so I'll have to check if the center brace on the shelf will be the right length and still let the sliding doors operate freely.

The inside "sidewalls" of all the cabinets are made out of 1/8 whiteboard already. One had screw holes but no screws (a place where the P.O. hid his weed?) So I know I can remove them and screw & glue the braces on. This cabinet is about 50 inches long. I'll need some kind of center brace. Might just make one from 1/2 inch plywood & snip the shelving to attach it to each side.

Paula
Old 09-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Hemingford , Nebraska
mwernke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Brilliant!
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Hemingford , Nebraska
I didn't read this carefully the first time and planned this setup for the large wardrobe, as well. My concern would be accessing the water pump under that wardrobe. Has anyone else tried this and found a workaround? Would it just mean no shelves (or removable shelves) in the last two feet at the bottom?
mwernke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Thanks for the info Silverbee! This is how I will do my shelves when my closets go back in
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Trois-Rivieres , Quebec
We have the same trailer and we added a slideout drawer with 8" sides (3) on the top shelf which is used for foodstuffs. We still use the bottom part as a clothes closet, especially for jackets, hats & caps, raingear, the (small) Dyson hand vacuum, broom and folding stepup. We have two other drawers under the L couch which completes our pantry space.

Can't supply a picture, the trailer is in storage.
DIY Solar: 500W Renogy panels, AM Solar hdw, Blue Sky MPPT controller, 470ah Rolls battery bank, 2000W Renogy inverter.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote