Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2002, 10:27 PM   #1
overlander

moved and tore loose what happened

i have a 1977 air stream overlander 27'

here is my question has anyone seen this, some of the interior panel walls have pulled away from and moved sideways from the interior skin. they heve tore loose about a half inch in some places. the peice of channel that the walls where connected to is still solidly connected to the interior skin.

my trailer is setup with rear bath, the bed room is next, then kitchen, then the living room. i was woundering what might of coused this, and is this normal for older airstreams. from what i can see the frame is not bent.

three walls on the left side have done this, from the fridge back.

i am planning on replacing the walls.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Unhappy Odd

This, IMHO, isn't normal.
I know if it were mine, I'd looking into WHY very seriously.
Good luck to you and, plse keep the group informed as to what you find. Pictures would be a big help.
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 08:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Your wall movement is an excellent example of square tires and/or lack of proper tire, wheel, hub and drum balance.
The worse the unbalance, the faster the walls will move. Replacing the walls, won't stop a thing. One way the running gear can be balanced can be seen on our web site, inlandrv.com Click on "articles" and then click on wheel balancing.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:40 PM   #4
overlander

hmmm..

i was thinking along those lines. i think i would be able to feal that kind of imbalance when i'm towing my trailer. i might have somone ride inside for a test.
i'll be getting new tires soon they will be balanced then. i was thinking that probably what coused this was ruff gravel roads, alaska has lots of them. i resently purchased this trailer, and i think i am the third owner. i'm just trying to fix it up some.
the tires arn't that large i dont think that the vibration would be that suvier, if they were imbalanced. raidial tires dont get flat spots,and with bias ply tires flat spots go away when the tires warm up. there 700 15's or somthing like that.... it's not like i have 40 inch swampers on it.
my trailer tows really well and i havn't seen or felt any kind vibration comming off of it. the damage isn't that bad and its only on one side and the other walls are still intacked and in place. i think the problem is it has seen some hard miles on bad roads. i think it was abused. i would say take it easy on ruff roads or yours might end up like mine.
Old 09-24-2002, 06:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
You may also have one or two bad axles. If they are, the trailer will bottom out when it hits bumps. New tires or balancing won't be a help.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:50 PM   #6
overlander

i have checked that out

i when i went through the wheel bearings and inspected the brakes. i looked closley at the axles and spindals and the torshon bars they look ok to me. shocks are good too. everything is in good order.