Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Mouse Urine Odor

My recently acquired 1968 Caravel appears to have hosted some unwanted guests at some point. I scrubbed it out with a bleach and water solution then with Lysol disinfectant. I have placed an "Odor Sponge" inside for the winter months to see if it removes any residual odor from the trailer.

To be honest the problem was not very severe and I doubt that there will be any lingering evidence. I did not find any nests or other indication that these "souvenirs" were left by any more than casual guests.

The problem is that mouse piss is very corrosive. Somehow (?) they got in between the screen window and the glass which was evident by the corrosion found on the aluminum frame.

I am wondering what others have done to try to eliminate the "eau de Mouse-o-Line" when they encountered it and I am thinking that a thread detailing their experiences and successes dealing with this anomoly might be beneficial for those in the future who may encounter this problem. There is a thread on another board that discusses mice chewing electrical wiring and consequences of this activity:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ing-59666.html

Bad stuff.
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
You might try Odorid - pretty effective stuff. I doubt the corrosion in the window frames is caused by mice....

Welcome to Air Forums - enjoy your new toy.

3R RV and Marine Holding Tank and Fresh Water Treatment
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
we didn't get rid of our mouse odor until we droppped the belly pan and removed about 4 garbage cans full of p***ed on insulation and mouse condos! Not a pretty sight.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullydogsmom View Post
we didn't get rid of our mouse odor until we droppped the belly pan and removed about 4 garbage cans full of p***ed on insulation and mouse condos! Not a pretty sight.

Annette

Ditto on dropping the bellypan. I've had mice use the bellypan region as their personal recreation area and there are plenty of nesting places for them. As such I would drop the belly for my own peace of mind.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote