Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2023, 08:33 PM   #1

Waxhaw , North Carolina
Modify a used Flying Cloud or Buying a New One with what I want.

I recently got into airstreams as an alternative to a tiny house that I could take on my summers off (I work in education enough said). I am not against getting a used model but if I do I would like to get one that is at least 2021 or newer. A lot of innovations have come along from what I saw and was told during my walk-throughs at shows and dealerships.

Now the new 2023 would cost me a little over 100k and I am not against such an investment given how well - from what I have seen and heard - airstreams hold their value.

I am mainly looking at the 2023 Flying Cloud 25 FB with the Desk as I do work on the computer and with computers a lot in my free time. However, I do admit I wish the desk was a bit bigger in it.

However, I recently came across a 2022 Flying Cloud 25FB that the owner is asking 92k for, but this version doesn't have the desk. So how difficult would it be to remove the extended sitting area and replace it with a desk? Would it be cheaper and save me money or cost more than just buying a brand-new model?

I have attached a picture showing the seating area I am wanting to remove (it is shaded red) and replace it with a desk of my own design.
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_removal_section.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	432824
DapperDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDice View Post
...So how difficult would it be to remove the extended sitting area and replace it with a desk? Would it be cheaper and save me money or cost more than just buying a brand-new model?...
Lots of variables here regarding difficulty...

Are you a woodworker? A project like that would take me about a long weekend to finish, but I work in a shop making custom furniture. Doing it at home with average homeowner hand tools it would take a bit longer, but not too much.

Matching sheet goods and finishes are available so you can match the existing cabinetry if you want.

All that said, if you're not handy or good at such projects then it could take a long time and you may not get a finished result that suits you, and in the end could cost you lots to get fixed.

Or, there is an outfit out there that specializes in doing custom refits of Airstreams. They would be able to reconfigure the interior to match whatever plans you have. This comes at a cost though.

It sounds like even if you bought the new model trailer the desk would still require a bit of customizing to bring it to what you want, so to me the used one would likely represent a better starting point. Then you can get the setup that suits you best. Plus, if the used trailer has been properly cared for then it's already got the bugs worked out.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
If you happen to be on the west coast, Ultimate Airstream near Portland Oregon does this kind of work. Check out their website for examples.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:40 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Haubstadt , Indiana
Change it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDice View Post
I recently got into airstreams as an alternative to a tiny house that I could take on my summers off (I work in education enough said). I am not against getting a used model but if I do I would like to get one that is at least 2021 or newer. A lot of innovations have come along from what I saw and was told during my walk-throughs at shows and dealerships.

Now the new 2023 would cost me a little over 100k and I am not against such an investment given how well - from what I have seen and heard - airstreams hold their value.

I am mainly looking at the 2023 Flying Cloud 25 FB with the Desk as I do work on the computer and with computers a lot in my free time. However, I do admit I wish the desk was a bit bigger in it.

However, I recently came across a 2022 Flying Cloud 25FB that the owner is asking 92k for, but this version doesn't have the desk. So how difficult would it be to remove the extended sitting area and replace it with a desk? Would it be cheaper and save me money or cost more than just buying a brand-new model?

I have attached a picture showing the seating area I am wanting to remove (it is shaded red) and replace it with a desk of my own design.
Attachment 432824
I say, change it to suit your needs. I did. We have a 2018 FC 27FB. The lounge was moved to end and is now a couch. The bump out kitchen sink was removed and is now straight, like the Tommy Bahama. This gives more room. The original lounge area is now a 2 seat dinette which also makes a great work space. We have been testing it 600 miles from home for the past 3 weeks and are heading back tomorrow. It works much better than I thought it would. I may not be able to send more pictures as cell service is hit and miss here, plus we will be on the road. I plan to do a full share of my work when I get home. I started a thread “what did you DO to your trailer today?”
Good luck!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D2B06015-0568-49DD-A262-44CE7FE05177.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	432866  
Ron Glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
one might consider converting the bedroom area, if queen, convert to twin and make one side office. or if twin still convert one side to office. In either case keep the closet (curbside). I saw this done on a 2008 25ft FC.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
Some food for thought...

How much experience do you have with a travel trailer? It is likely that you really don't know what you will want until you actually try to use it and travel with it. If you are going to be in this for the long haul, I would suggest starting with a used trailer, doing the absolute minimum to it to allow you to get out and use it. Experience will tell you what you really want and need, so use it for a couple of years, then look around at new and order exactly what you want. Unless of course you plan on purchasing another one in a few years' time!
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Some basic AS price conversions:

Take the MSRP and knock off 10%. You might do better, but at least you are in the right range. You could do better than this number in most markets, most of the year.

Take MSRP of a used trailer in the year it was sold. Knock off the same 10% to guess what might have been paid for it. In the COVID years, this number might be low.

Now take some magic number per year off for depreciation. Is that number 5% or something else (like 10%) ? It depends on the condition of the RV and the market at this moment.

Not having dug into the pricing you are seeing, I have no idea how it fits with the numbers above.

I'd guess the mods described as being a sub $5,000 sort of thing. Finding somebody to do the job might be exciting. Could be a bit more if you are picky about the result.

A brand new trailer comes with a 3 year warranty. Everything is new. Nothing has been abused. You might have issues with this or that. You also could have "unfound" issues of the same sort on a used trailer.

Tiny house wise ... hmmmm .... These trailers are made to be moved around and lived in for short periods. Long term occupancy can get a bit exciting. Heat in the winter can be a problem. Plumbing in a fixed location is going to involve some work. Tires and running gear sitting in one place .... not ideal.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
As a starting point to understand the cost of having this done by a professional, you may want to reach out to Ultimate Airstream in Portland OR.

They do the kind of modification you are requesting, see this web page for an example (note, it is a cabinet but they also do desks):

https://www.ultimateairstreams.com/p...ourmet_Cabinet

I do know that the area you are wanting to remove consists of two modular pieces as well as a pull out bed above the lower cabinets. They are easily removed (screwed to the floor as well as to each other) but do not know what you will find as flooring under these items. This is where "can of worms" can begin. Friends of our had the cabinet mod done by Ultimate, although only the end section of the gaucho was converted.

Long way go to from North Carolina to the West coast. I imagine it would take them at least a week to do and you would not be able to stay in the trailer while they perform the work.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 11:45 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Some of the “innovations” added in recent years may or may not actually be beneficial depending on your camping style. If you plan to always have full hookups they can be good, but if you plan to dry camp or boondock, many (myself included) consider some of the changes they’ve made to be a big step backwards. The best change by far in recent years was the switch to composite sub-floors in the ‘21 and later models, but unfortunately those models also forced you into tankless on-demand water heaters, which are not good when boondocking since they require a significant water flow to turn on, making it difficult to conserve water. The ‘22s and later all have electric only fridges also which aren’t good for boondocking either because of their power draw.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 04:15 AM   #10
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
If I was you I would look around and find a good USED Airstream.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:35 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Plano , Texas
I love this idea! I am always looking for ways to modify mine, but have not seen this.
jevst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:47 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Keizer , Oregon
Hi DapperDice
I'm assuming you're single.
I'm a loner also. I made the same decision 5-years ago. I live comfortably in a 25SS. It's a bit of a change at first, thinning out all our junk is a REAL struggle 😫. But stick to it and it'll work out. I lived in a 22-ft SOB for a short while before I purchased the Airstream. The prior RV had the bed in the living area, camping this would be fine, living in it not so much. After purchasing the Airstream, and living in it, I really really appreciate the bed-room on one end and the living-area on the other end. Be aware, new Airstream's loose value and level off, and stay, around 30k if kept in reasonable shape. I paid 25k knowing I had to put in some work. Enjoy!
Ahroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahroc View Post
Be aware, new Airstream's loose value and level off, and stay, around 30k if kept in reasonable shape.
I think the price of a used Airstream in good condition is actually always about what the original MSRP for it was and gradually goes up the older it gets. I did a few spot checks of my theory, looking at price lists in Airstream’s document archive and comparing the MSRPs of a few trailers to their current price on Airstream Classified and every one I checked followed that. Of course you’re losing value through inflation, but buying either a new or used Airstream seems to be no worse than stacking your money under your mattress.
Old 06-14-2023, 03:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNate View Post
I think the price of a used Airstream in good condition is actually always about what the original MSRP for it was and gradually goes up the older it gets. I did a few spot checks of my theory, looking at price lists in Airstream’s document archive and comparing the MSRPs of a few trailers to their current price on Airstream Classified and every one I checked followed that. Of course you’re losing value through inflation, but buying either a new or used Airstream seems to be no worse than stacking your money under your mattress.
A couple more things to consider as you postulate your theory on Airstream pricing, etc. You assume all trailers sell at MSRP. You may want to research the levels of discounting almost all Airstream dealers offer, based on market headwinds. Some to 20% or more. Current pricing levels set by the sellers on used Airstream sites are generally nothing short of pie in the sky hopefulness.

Many are trying to recoup their original purchase price. The reality is these Airstreams age out to the last pages of the ads without some significant downward price adjustment.

There is no public access to see what used Airstreams sell for vis-a-vis their asking price, other than personal experiences or verified acquired info, of which both is lacking. Forming conclusions without such data becomes pie in the sky.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 05:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
A couple more things to consider as you postulate your theory on Airstream pricing, etc. You assume all trailers sell at MSRP. You may want to research the levels of discounting almost all Airstream dealers offer, based on market headwinds. Some to 20% or more. Current pricing levels set by the sellers on used Airstream sites are generally nothing short of pie in the sky hopefulness.

Many are trying to recoup their original purchase price. The reality is these Airstreams age out to the last pages of the ads without some significant downward price adjustment.

There is no public access to see what used Airstreams sell for vis-a-vis their asking price, other than personal experiences or verified acquired info, of which both is lacking. Forming conclusions without such data becomes pie in the sky.

Yes, I’m making several assumptions and broad generalizations. Airstreams selling new below MSRP and used below listing price probably balance each other out though. I disagree that most sellers are listing at pie in the sky prices. Sure there are probably some, but anybody who actually intends to sell something researches the market and sets their price at a point that will likely result in it being sold. I checked prices over a few decades and they all seemed to track. I don’t think anybody selling a ‘90s Airstream is setting their price to try and recoup their original purchase price - I highly doubt many are even the original purchasers.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:24 PM   #16

Waxhaw , North Carolina
Thumbs up Thank you!

First, I want to thank you for all the advice everyone provided in this thread.

I have been weighing my options and - given that I have to finance this - will most likely be purchasing a new trailer as it is unlikely - as some of you pointed out - that I will be able to secure a loan for a used unit.

If I have any other questions I will be sure to post them in the future, but hopefully, I will be in my new trailer around the beginning of next year. I will be sure to keep everyone posted - haha puns - on this thread.
DapperDice is offline   Reply With Quote