Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
Mattress: Help Us Replace!

We live in our AS at least 6 months a year. One of us has "arthritic shoulder" and is having trouble sleeping without discomfort on the mattress supplied with our new AS. Our impression of the factory supplied mattress is that it is made of foam and is generally comfortable to sleep on for a period of time during which it gradually but permanently forms itself to our body shapes and does not recover during periods of non use. We have turned this mattress end to end and enjoyed for a short period comfort, which soon adopts our body shapes and does not recover. We are not able to comment on the quality of this mattress as we all know how difficult it is to judge a mattress which we did not choose ourselves. We are of average weight and height and are typical AS owners who appreciate the value of our wonderful travel trailers.

We are seeking your experience. We need your advice. Many of you have already lived through this challenge. You can help us decide. Buying a mattress that must be custom made is always a challenge as without the experiences of others there is no way for us to judge quality or comfort before we make a buy decision.

So share your experience with us. We promise never to complain after the fact. We can hardly wait to enjoy a painless nights sleep.

Thank you in advance!
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We bought a memory foam mattress from Walmart and cut two twin size mattresses out of it using our trusty electric carving knife and then sewing the open mesh cover closed. Been 5 years now and they are still very comfortable.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
zinus memory foam mattress from Amazon. Take it to a foam shop with a template of your bed(s) and have it cut to fit. I prefer this mattress to my $3,000 Tempur pedic. Walmart also has good prices on these.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #4

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
I googled mattress factory near ct and found yankeemattressfactory.com ,and they made a short queen innerspring mattress and a made to fit mattress topper for our couch,all within 2 weeks. Maybe you can have the same luck in your area
Flying tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We put a Sleep Number RV Radius Corner Queen in our Airstream, separate firmness control for each side. It's sized as a replacement mattress for RV's. Incredible, adjustable comfort.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We got a gel memory foam mattress from Mattressinisder.com. The 8" LUXURY COOL-MAX® GEL FOAM RV MATTRESS II custom made for our AS. Best prices we found internet wide and 8" of comfort.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
The OEM mattress & furniture in my Dynamax DX3-37RB Super-C RV looked great but, was NOT at all comfortable. When I was in Elkhart, IN, I had ProCustomInc rip out the OEM junk and install a SUPER comfortable thick foam mattress and real furniture. The recliner is a HUGE improvement of the OEM "couch" and, the real dining table and two regular chairs are SO much more comfortable too. It's a shame RV builders won't sell you a shell and let you add GOOD, comfortable furniture that will suit your needs/lifestyle.

www.ProCustomInc.com 574-217-0399

There are MANY customizers in the Elkhart, IN area. If you can arrange to swing through Elkhart, you'll find LOTS of shops who can customize your rig to want YOU want/need. At ProCustomInc, I was able to live in my RV at night, saving on motel costs.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Punta Gorda, Florida , Florida
replace mattress

I see a North Port address. Try Bedmasters in Port Charlotte 4105 Tamiami Trail Tele #941-766-9122. They made for us mattresses for our FC26u twin. they had the correct degree arc template to make them. Any style cover and fill you want. Done in 2 weeks, great service. They told us they make a lot of custom mattresses for rv's. Good luck.
Silver Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We also have a Sleep Number RV mattress and love it. Separate adjustment for each side.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
brandon , Mississippi
mattress

We got our mattress off Amazon, and it is a short queen. They have a few shorts. It was delivered in a box and it is really nice!
DilmoreFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Charlotte , North Carolina
Original Mattress Factory

I have never been satisfied with the foam mattresses in our 25 FCFB. I am accustomed to a firm interspring mattress. OMF will custom make mattresses to fit unusual size/space. They were great to work with and I look forward to camping this spring. P.S. my wife didn't want me to mess with hers!
MaiziesGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
We just traded up to a 2017 25' RB and have yet to sleep on it but my wife really disliked the bed at the dealership. So when it comes out of winter storage we will probably be replacing it. We plan on traveling out to this company's factory and trying them out. My eyes and sinuses cannot take off-gassing so the all natural material of this company's products is what we are looking for. Hope they are as comfortable as they are natural! They said special size/orders are no problem.

http://www.surroundewe.com/C/6/Mattresses
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
I also have a 2016 International 30'. Previously I had a 2015 27'. The mattress in the 2016 was worse than the 2015. I tried fixing by putting a 2" foam topper on it and it was still bad with no support. I was at the dealer recently and noticed that the new 2017 beds seemed firmer and didn't roll over on the edges.
So...I ordered new 2017 twin mattresses. Problem solved and they are comfortable.
At $625 each. I also didn't want to pay shippng so I asked that they be sent in a new trailer en route to the dealer.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
http://www.foamforyou.com first class place.....

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
We second Bedmasters in Port Charlotte, Florida. Got a bed for the AS last year, great service and fit. Like it so much we called them the other day from AZ and ordered one from them they are sending to us for our home in Michigan when we return in the spring.
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We put a Sleep Number RV Radius Corner Queen in our Airstream, separate firmness control for each side. It's sized as a replacement mattress for RV's. Incredible, adjustable comfort.
We did the same. Ordered it from Camping World. It has worked out great! My wife and I both love it and as a bonus it is very light weight. Rick
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We had a custom latex mattress made for us at Rocky Mountain Mattress in Salt Lake City about five years ago. My Wife has had multiple back surgeries and she has had no complaints about the new mattress. It was a little expensive but was worth every penny to us.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Mattresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrittan View Post
We live in our AS at least 6 months a year. One of us has "arthritic shoulder" and is having trouble sleeping without discomfort on the mattress supplied with our new AS. Our impression of the factory supplied mattress is that it is made of foam and is generally comfortable to sleep on for a period of time during which it gradually but permanently forms itself to our body shapes and does not recover during periods of non use. We have turned this mattress end to end and enjoyed for a short period comfort, which soon adopts our body shapes and does not recover. We are not able to comment on the quality of this mattress as we all know how difficult it is to judge a mattress which we did not choose ourselves. We are of average weight and height and are typical AS owners who appreciate the value of our wonderful travel trailers.

We are seeking your experience. We need your advice. Many of you have already lived through this challenge. You can help us decide. Buying a mattress that must be custom made is always a challenge as without the experiences of others there is no way for us to judge quality or comfort before we make a buy decision.

So share your experience with us. We promise never to complain after the fact. We can hardly wait to enjoy a painless nights sleep.

Thank you in advance!
Our experience with foam mattresses is a little different but I thought I would share it with all here that may be interested! We had original foam mattresses in our 1967 Safari when we got it in '04! They were let's say Grossly old and much of the foam had deteriorated to crumbs inside the zippered covers. We were fortunate to find (2) two curved cornered twin mattresses that were at Jackson Center that were being replaced in mid-nineties trailers. The two twin mattresses were double spring Sertapedic quality mattresses. We took these apart down to the bare springs and steam cleaned the wire frames and springs. I then took them to a local mattress building shop and had all new padding and covers sewn onto them. They are very comfortable as they are but one could also put a comfort foam topper on them if needed! We love them. The cost was only what the shop charged us to put the padding on and sew the standard mattress cover on each of them about $400.00 if I remember right. Since your newer foam mattresses are in good condition and have no curve to worry about you should be able to get a mattresses mfg to build you new spring mattresses for a reasonable price that perfectly match your foam ones. They may have a showroom near you where you can try out some of there products to see how well these inner-spring mattresses will work for your needs. IMHO comfort is priceless so cost was not the first consideration in our decision for mattresses. You may even find off-the-shelf products that will fit your space for length and width. We also modified our base cabinet tops that the mattresses sit on to give better support to the mattresses. The OEM base was thin (14") plywood so we purchased (2) two bunkbed "box bases"! They were just simple 1" X 2" frames for super twin bunkbed mattress support that can be purchased at furniture and bedding stores. We removed the material covers from these and made the curved radius corner to fit the front twin bunks for our trailer. It has worked out well for us and I thought I would let you know our solution for these foam mattress issues. Hope this helps! Let us know! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Camping world has Comfort Aire mattresses on sale this month. The predessor of sleep number, and pretty much the same deal. A short queen radius corner (that's what I need for my rig) is $824.97 this month. Thinking hard about this.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We switched out the 7" stock factory mattress on 2013 25FB International Serenity for one 8" thick and custom made by Rocky Mountain Mattress. The 600 thread cotton custom fitted Airstream sheets fit the 8" mattress perfectly.

We left the the stock twin mattresses on the assembly line at the factory and installed the twin 8" Rocky Mountain mattresses in our 2014 31' Classic and once again the Airstream 600,thread cotton custom sheets fit perfectly.

We then upgraded our home mattress to a 12" Rocky Mountain king.

When we acquired the 2015 23D International Serenity, we replaced the stock mattress with a 10" Rocky Mountain mattress. Having spent some time in the 23D, we would consider upgrading the Rocky Mountain 8" twins to Rocky Mountain 10" twins. The 10" mattresses required a different sheet vendor. We are still trying to find the best sheets for this odd shaped mattress. Making the 23D corner bed is like a wrestling match with only one arm.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote