Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Exclamation Make your own ABS Compound!!

Check this out folks a good way to make some ABS repair of large areas . I plan on fixing my trailers tub drain this way I had to cut it out fitting was rusted.

HOW TO MAKE ABS COMPOUND CLICK HERE

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
This is a good way to fix abs and make ABS parts... I think im going to give it a try... thanks for the post...
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
ABS solvent based adhesive is readily available at Ace and other home stores. The solvent is highly volatlle and explosive. It is also a potential carcinogen. Be very careful with it. Acetone is widely used in the illegal drug industry. The adhesive shrinks as it evaporates in proportion to the % of solvent present. I have made many formulas myself using a closed vessel (metal paint can) on a rock tumbler for home use. You may more easily decrease the shrinkage and increase the viscosity of the standard Ace Oakley adhesive by letting the can open in the back yard for a few hours and letting some of the solvent evaporate before you use it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
ABS solvent based adhesive is readily available at Ace and other home stores. The solvent is highly volatlle and explosive. It is also a potential carcinogen. Be very careful with it. Acetone is widely used in the illegal drug industry. The adhesive shrinks as it evaporates in proportion to the % of solvent present. I have made many formulas myself using a closed vessel (metal paint can) on a rock tumbler for home use. You may more easily decrease the shrinkage and increase the viscosity of the standard Ace Oakley adhesive by letting the can open in the back yard for a few hours and letting some of the solvent evaporate before you use it.
The adhesive yea but I have a 2 inch hole I have to fill I would use acetone mix to fill large area and adhesive to fill smaller area like is linked article.

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 11-29-2008, 04:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I would fill in the area with an existing ABS part of the approriate size and thickness and then glue it in place with the ABS adhesive. Most plastic parts are now marked with a recycle symbol on the bottom indicating which plastic the part is made from. The triangle symbol should have ABS marked below it.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #6
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
John had success with the ABS glue here on his blog.... 1966 Safari ( HUGO): Sucess!!!
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
From what I heard about the compound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
I would fill in the area with an existing ABS part of the approriate size and thickness and then glue it in place with the ABS adhesive. Most plastic parts are now marked with a recycle symbol on the bottom indicating which plastic the part is made from. The triangle symbol should have ABS marked below it.

You can make it any consistency you want, It is much like what you would get if you were making a plastic mold your self. I have to fix almost all of the ABS fixtures in my bathroom I think his idea of using screening is good idea give edges extra strength. What I want to do with the tub is fill in drain hole with plastic compound (I had to cut it out drain was rusted solid) then re drill hole. I will take pics of the work when I get to doing it redoing plumbing now with pex .

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Try finding ABS plastic.

I had to call around some Plastic suppliers and they don't carry ABS plastic as a matter of fact I can not find anyone who sell's it . BUT one of these place's gets ABS from custermers who want mold's made from there ABS parts then they throw the ABS out . If I buy a 3 gallon can of ABS cement it would cost @$60 so I hope the guy calls back sounds like he get allot and I can make my own ..

K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are plenty of plastic distributors out there, but they do not stock or sell less than 50 lbs. of plastic pellets at a time. If you just want a pound or 2 your best bet is to find a local plastic molder with some left over partial bags. ABS is only worth about $1.30 per pound. You can likely find them in your local yellow pages. There are 10,000 of them in the US. I would recommend using MEK as a solvent rather than Acetone. You will likely be more successful using some fiberglas (either mat or woven) to reinforce the edge of the patch and soak it with the solvent cement rather than using Aluminum screening.