Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2015, 05:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
Looking at a smoker's trailer... can it be de-smoked?

Ok, ok, I see that there is a thread on this that is a little old, but I wanted to layout more about this trailer and why I love it and what I want to do with it and then you can talk me out of it

I have been looking at trailers (airstreams and avions) for a while and the ones I have seen have all had structural problems that I just don't want to deal with (rot, bent frames, plumbing issues, etc.). It's also hard to find the layout I want, two twin beds in the very back.

I found a 78 30R Avion and I am in love with the layout. It does not have carpet, but I would be pulling up the laminate and replacing it anyway, the walls I want to clean and coat with Zolatone paint (I just really like this super white look). The drapes are gross and I would toss them, I plan to paint all the (solid wood) cabinets anyway, and toss the current foam couch/bed thing in the front (the only other fiber thing).

So knowing all that I want to do, can I get the smoking smell out? They have already re-done the plumbing with pex, a major plus for me. Besides being gross smelling like smoke inside it doesn't have a lot of negatives so what do you think? Have you tried this? I know it's harder with cars, but I want to Zolatone the inside anyway... ok I'm rambling.
lifeincolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
yes you can!

Yes you can! I bought my '87 Avion 34X off a guy that smoked a bunch. It will take some elbow grease, but you can get it out. We scrubbed the interior down with Mean Green or something like that. It took about three weeks (maybe only 2.5 for the shorter trailer ) but we got it out. I let it air out during this entire period. Something in the smokes puts a film on the walls, but once you get that scrubbed off, the stench is gone.

That is a nice trailer. I would not let the PO being a smoker deter me from it.

You might want to pull out the curtains and wash them. But, you can get that smell out.

Best of luck and see you on the road!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There are also commercial outfits which specialize in smoke smell elimination. Ask around your area, possibly check with auto dealers who take trades which have been heavily smoked in. They may know of who does it locally.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'd say if you are already planning on replacing all the soft goods and painting the walls, you are probably going to eliminate most of the smells right there.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Yes you can get rid of the odor. Had house fire and when we got rid of ALL the soft goods and ventilated for several days it was amazing. Finally cleaned and all was good for the rebuild.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Salem , Oregon
Yes thank you so much! I figured it would be a lot of elbow grease, but it sounds like it is doable which is what I wanted to hear! Sorry about your house fire vwstreamer!

I think I am going to find this forum very helpful!!!
lifeincolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
I bought an old Winnebago years ago that was so cherry, except it was owned by a smoker. We did most of everything mentioned, and used Febreeze, and you honestly couldn't tell it when we were done. When I sold it, the new owner never would have guessed that a smoker had owned it at one time.

-Red, unsmoking...
Old 02-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Just a related story...am flying out of Gainesville years ago in an old Delta DC-9. As it takes off early morning I see black liquid dripping onto the seats next to my aisle seat. I tell the flight attendant about a hydraulic fuel leak...she tells me its just overnite condensation with accumulated nicotine in it after years of having been smoked in. And to think they had to sit in the last row of seats behind the smokers for years. We have come a long way....with so much further to go. At least our AS are built tighter than the old DC-9s. Happy Valentine's Day. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It depends-
How sensitive is your sense of smell and how bad are your allergies and sinuses?
I can always smell smoke in a smokers house or a burned and renovated house.
I don't believe you can possibly get the scent out of the insulation and wood.
We just bought a new car because the used 2013 with 14,000 miles that we looked at smelled like cigarettes.
Our first trailer was used. We walked through dozens of smoky trailers during the shopping. We still walk through a bunch of smoky trailers when browsing at RV dealerships. As soon as I walk in, I turn right around and walk out because the slightest exposure will send my sinuses into a daze. I will be sick with a sinus infection for 2 weeks just for one breath of cigarette smoke-
For me, I would absolutely never, ever buy a house, car, or trailer that had been smoked in.
If your sense of smell isn't as keen as mine or you don't have allergy/sinus trouble it may be OK.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
new bedford , Massachusetts
hydrogen peroxide

pour it in spray bottle.spray.spray anything.wipe.use paper towels.good for cigs.
pet odors "all".cheap too.
gezundheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
mankato , Minnesota
If all else fails go to your local car detail shop & see if they have an ozone machine a day or so the smell will be gone. It worked very well for me.

Good luck & have fun
Dave.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
I agree with everything everyone said, but if you are sensitive to smoke you will always be able to tell. My son was looking for a nice used car, he found one but asked my opinion. I could tell as soon as I entered the car. The dealer assured us that the smell would go away that they had taken extra care in cleaning it. My son didn't buy it. I think it's really a personal thing. If it bothers you don't buy it.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't think you can ever get the smoke out of a used car. Too many softgoods and the smoke smell will be stuck in them forever. I had a Mustang convertible, and I cleaned it very thoroughly, I think I even had a pro clean the upholstery, and fabreezed it, but when it got wet inside (which happens now and then in the NW) that smoke smell would come out so strong I couldn't hardly stand to drive it until it dried out again. It was nasty!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode with the smelly car?

-Red, why can't sweat smell good...
Old 02-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Look for a car retailer who sells car cleaners, polishes, etc to dealers. Can't remember the name but they have something you open up and keep in a vehicle overnight with it being closed up. It removes the cigarette smell. You just then have to clean the walls, etc. good luck!
Syr1pss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:51 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I pur. airplane that heavy smoker owned, some gauges have filters, had to replace filters, lots of elbow grease finally got heavy yellow residue off, much air freshener still had some odors. I to have same prob. as m.hony has
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
The nicotine (brown stuff) gets in every crack and crevice and the smell may reappear on damp days. I am sensitive to the smell and I wouldn't buy it. YMMV
fth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #18
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Or, just take up smoking... Your sense of smell completely goes away.

-Red, ex-smoker since Aug 1, 1988...
Old 02-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #19
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
A fire recovery place like Servpro could do it for you. I had the same problem with mine. 2 complete scrubdowns with a citrus based cleaner got the gook off down to the zolatone. It was nasty looking stuff in the bucket. Draperies to the cleaners, Out with the carpet. Leave the windows and doors open, weather permitting. You will get it out....a little patience and a lot of scrubbing. Welcome and good luck.
Clayton
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:27 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I once forgot about a bone that I was boiling for my dog & left the house for several hours. The entire house was filled with smoke when I got home. Fortunately, the dog was outside! I washed everything that was soft ware & used a product called "Odorban" on my couches & carpet & walls. The house was for sale at the time & I nearly had a breakdown!! The smoke smell was gone & the house sold. I'm sure if you get rid of the soft items & scrub down everything else with some recommended products, you'll get rid of the smell.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote