Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2003, 12:12 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Location for a CO detector

I've been reading the pros and cons of locations listed in the owner's manual on where to place this thing.

I just can't bring myself to screw anything into the "simulated" wood or the walls. Also I am not sure, even if I was brave enough of how long the screws can be. It came with plastic anchors, and that is even more interesting for mounting. But if I get the guts to do it, where would anyone suggest I place this on a '03 Bambi? Are there safer places than others? I don't want to hit something by accident or worse.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 12:52 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have a home unit and from the instructions I have, placement height on the wall is inconsequential. More of a consequence is if you place it close to a point of combustion, like the stove or oven where you stand a good chance of false alarm.

If I was putting one in my Safari, I probably would mount it on the side of one of the bedroom cabinets which sit over the ends of each twin bed. Another point of mounting may be the underside of the long cabinet that is over the back window.

Some units even have little stands on them which would allow you to set them on a counter top somewhere. When you pack up to travel, you put the unit away in a cabinet or drawer.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Jack. I bought the Atwood unit and it does have a "kickstand" on it. I was thinking I would do that since I am having a tough time gouging into the simulated wood.

Might be more gutsy after it's been out on a few runs, but since it's so new right now, I am getting same feeling I had when I had the new hitch in my hand and was going to place it on my Impala SS ('96). I just couldn't do it to that car.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 03-06-2003, 03:54 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mounting pads

I use adhesive mounting pads that I bought at Home Depot. They will come off without harming the finish.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know why I love this place? It's because you all validate what I am already thinking. When I don't think of it, you all pass on all the goodies too. Either way, it's a win/win!

I love this place!

Regards and thanks!

Eric
Old 03-06-2003, 07:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i bought a 4x4 and a friend of mine wanted to know when i was going to take it off road . told him i didnt want to get a lot of scratches on the truck. i finnaly broke down and down it to the brairs and brush i went . could beleive it it only had a few scratches that i buffed out the next week. moral, of the story dont worry about go ahead and mount it where it makes sence . next year you will wonder why . why. why. lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 11:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
I have a neat way to hang things with a mimimum of distress to the finish and in this case, the A/S owner. I have, for years, used common dressmaker pins (straight pins). They will hold 6 lbs - YES 6 LBS ! - in drywall. I have now purchased heavier upholstery type pins. If I think the pin is going to be too long or bend I just use nippers and cut off a bit. Using a very light touch with the hammer (I have a very tiny toy one) you put the pin in on an angle and voila! Removal leaves almost nothing to see. On wallpaper, invisable. I have even done this in wood with the shortened pin. Just find a spot near the floor to try it out. If it works ok mount the item where you want. Just be sure to put it away before you hit the road so it doesn't become airborn. Oh, and watch the fingers - there ain't much to hang onto when you cut those pins off!!. HINT: hold the pin with needle nose pliers.

good luck, suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'll give that a try if I get sick of the kickstand on the unit. :-)
Thanks for the tip.

BTW...it's verwy, verwy qwuite here today! I'm starting to think it wasn't my firewall acting up again......

Eric