Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Brain & Lumatic

Check out post's 467, 489 & 493 on this thread for what I did for the hinge's and battery box surround.

I have only used the LSS on the filiform corrosion, I'll try and find it, it's somewhere on the "corrosion" thread.

NOPE....it's rite here on post #31.

Bob
Wow! What a great job. Thank you for referring us to the pics!
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #42
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Your welcome PT.....

POI...it wasn't too complicated, just took some TIME.

Bob
Old 10-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
Any advice Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Your welcome PT.....

POI...it wasn't too complicated, just took some TIME.

Bob
I've been searching the forum for types of primer & paint to use on the Interior walls of the '73 Argosy 26 we are renovating. They are aluminium with a white "paint" ? does not seem to be the same covering that was in our '87 AS 345 that was kinda vinyl & sticky. It seems to be a painted on texture?? I was thinking of priming with Kilz & painting with Sherwin Williams Ext/Int latex paint?? But when I saw the post on Liquid Stainless Steel I thought how wonderful it might look. Can this be used on the interior walls & what kind of prep do I need to do to make it stick well. Sand? Prime? etc...
Thanks
Addicted2Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Tin View Post
... Interior walls of the '73 Argosy 26 we are renovating. They are aluminium with a white "paint" ? does not seem to be the same covering that was in our '87 AS 345 that was kinda vinyl & sticky. ...
That "sticky" is condensed cooking grease. You need to clean the walls with industrial soap or TSP, then rinse off the TSP really well--it's a base and will corrode aluminum. If you spray the TSP on, use a mask or you'll have a rough throat for a day or two.

Zep
Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Tin View Post
I've been searching the forum for types of primer & paint to use on the Interior walls of the '73 Argosy 26 we are renovating. They are aluminium with a white "paint" ? does not seem to be the same covering that was in our '87 AS 345 that was kinda vinyl & sticky. It seems to be a painted on texture?? I was thinking of priming with Kilz & painting with Sherwin Williams Ext/Int latex paint?? But when I saw the post on Liquid Stainless Steel I thought how wonderful it might look. Can this be used on the interior walls & what kind of prep do I need to do to make it stick well. Sand? Prime? etc...
Thanks
I don't know about the liquid stainless steel but I used Kilz primer and a good grade of Bear interior paint from Home Depot. It seems to be holding up fine. I suggest you use a semi-gloss for easier cleaning. A little shine on the walls seems to look good too. I did thoroughly clean the interior skins before applying the primer. In my case I cleaned them when they were out of the Airstream since I was re-doing my insulation. I have a small double brush floor polisher that I put scrubbing brushes on and used that with a strong cleaner - I don't remember which one now. By the way there is a vinyl skin of some sort that has been applied to the interior aluminum skins that gives it that sort of leather like texture. In general it seems to stick to the aluminum pretty well but I think some people in the forum have removed it. I don't think I would want to do that though.

My guess is that the liquid stainless could also profit from a primer but it would be best to look at the manufacturers recommendations.

I hope that helps some,

Malcolm
Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
Thanks for the info. I cleaned the front panels with 1:1 bleach water rinsed & scrubbed with Dawn, rinsed, dried & sprayed with a mold inhibitor. My husband had these out while replacing the sub floor so they were easy to clean. Then at a later date I cleaned the wall behind the kitchen sink (not removed), it was really bad greasy as you say & I did use TSP & it worked GREAT!! ( hope I rinsed it well enough with the sponge & clear water??) Wish I had used it on the other panels would have been alot easier.
So glad to hear you used the kilz as a primer. My husband brought me the oil based Kilz yesterday?? Should I use this or water based? Wondering if it will "melt" the old paint. For this reason I was afraid to use the Lacquer based Zinser 123 which I really like.
Can't wait to get the walls painted; although this Argosy had pretty good looking walls & look good with just cleaning. I think the new paint will look much better & help with making it smell better. Our weather is about to get very cool soon so I need to "as we say in the South" make hay while the sun shines. LOL
Thanks Again!! Any advice & suggestions are very welcome!!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I think the type of Kilz you have will be just fine and will not hurt the existing coating at all. If you want to be sure try some in an inconspicuous place first.

Malcolm
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
South East , Arkansas
Malcolm,
I did just that on a strip & it turned out fine. Now if the temps will stay up long enough to get it done.
Having a great time working on this ole Argosy, she has so much character!!
Wish we had found these yrs ago.
Thanks,
Barb
Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Spencer , New York
my husband uses it for work. and says it's excellant although expensive and is very durable.he says will work well on plastic. but may need to be prepped. he says there is also a paint steel it that works well and it is hard to chip and scratch. good luck!
jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bellevue , Nebraska
this is what Im going to paint all my wood work, cuboards and , well antything wood . sounds safe to paint the stove top also.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote