Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
1962 16' Bambi
Smithville , Texas
Light Circuit Blowing Fuse

I have a 1985 31' Excella. The bedroom reading light, closet light and hall light are on a circuit that keeps blowing the 20 amp fuse. It doesn't blow immediately and all the lights are off. I have looked for bare exposed wires but have not pulled all of the lights yet. How do I best track this down? I am not an electric whiz but know some basics.

Thanks
Tom
tbettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
This may have nothing to do with your problem (but OTOH it just might have): do you have a functioning battery connected in your trailer?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
1962 16' Bambi
Smithville , Texas
yes 2 relatively new batteries. Everything else works except this one circuit.
tbettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks for the info.

In my trailer, this circuit is the purple wire, and I have had the same problem. I found that the fuse panel was heating up to the point of damaging the purple wire that connected to it. There doesn't appear to be a short, but the fuse does keep blowing, as you are experiencing.

I have the original Univolt converter, and I strongly suspect that the metal fuse holders in the fusebox on it have deteriorated and since they will not keep enough tension on the fuse to maintain a good connection, the loose connection increases the resistance, it heats up the fuse, which then blows.

This is only conjecture on my part so far. I purchased a new converter and fusebox late last year and I mean to install them when I can get back to the trailer in May.

I also read on here that not having a battery installed in the circuit can cause problems with the Univolt's operation, which is why I asked you if you have one.

Good luck with your problem, and please post any information if you manage to repair the fault.

cheers,
Aage
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbettes View Post
1985 31' ------- It doesn't blow immediately ----- How do I best track this down?
Thanks
Tom
Tom,

I used the quote button and left in the key words. I'm thinking you have some corrosion or it is loose on the fuse panel. It is most likely not at the point where fuse contacts the fuse holder but where the fuse holder attaches to the board. (Heat and Cold makes them loose)Below is a couple of links where it is explained how to change out the converter or the fuse panel.

Changing the converter

Changing the fuse panel

If that seems like to much work you might try going to a lower power consumming device like LED blubs

Click here to see a reading light

Click here to see one for the living area.

These guys have great shipping once you get over 30 bucks

Fix
Dan@LED4RV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical