Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally posted by hohne
The Sharp TV does not have audio out capabilities...

It has audio and video in, an antenna input, and a headphone output.

Thus, it cannot feed a stereo

unless...

If you have the same model I do the AV/2 inputs can be reconfigured as outputs. I do not remember on the menu system, but you can switch the AV/2 to either input or output on the audio side. This is how I feed the sound to the in dash aux inputs of my sound system. It also lets you continue to use the front speakers in conjunction with the other speakers in the coach.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation Just so you're aware

If you're in the market for an LCD TV, be sure it's capable of HDTV, as the FCC has mandated that all TV signals, starting in 2006, broadcasted will be such..The older TV will no longer be of use or, need to be converted to receive the new standard..Just so you know..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The Sharps (and many others) are 640X480 "VGA" i.e. low-resolution NTSC, just like all TVs produced for years.

When analog NTSC broadcasting is shut down in 2006, there will be digital ATSC tuners that down-convert enhanced definition TV (EDTV) and high definition TV (HDTV) signals to analog NTSC, and "letterbox" 16:9 to NTSC 4:3. Currently, they cost $300-400, but that will come down with higher quantities when everyone needs one.

If you have an ATSC tuner today, you'll note that most of what you pick up is still 640X480 4:3 NTSC quality, not EDTV (Fox) or HDTV (720p ABC, 1080i CBS and NBC).

I agree that I wouldn't spend a penny on TV unless I absolutely had to, until TVs that handle ATSC and 16:9 or 4:3 formats are available.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:30 PM   #24
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
From the USA Today:

Broadcasters must return their analog spectrum to the government by 2006, but only if 85% of households can get digital signals.

This means that if the adoption of the HDTV hardware takes longer, our old TV's will still work.

More:

In April, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell asked TV makers to voluntarily install digital receivers, or tuners, in half of TVs with at least 36-inch screens by Jan. 1, 2004. Under his proposed schedule, tuners would be phased into smaller TVs over the following three years so that all sets would have them by Dec. 31, 2006.

This assumes that 85% of the sets in use today will be replaced in 2 years????

Believe me I am a Videophile, but I am not going to shell out the big bucks to get HDTV today when it will be cheaper than a night at the movies in less than 2 years. Besides you can always get a converter box. I already have one of a sort on my NTSC TV. I have digital cable and the picture quality is mediocre at best. Can't wait to see how bad they mess up the HDTV feed.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The requirement is that 85% of the top 200 markets be SERVED by ATSC, not that 85% of the viewers in the entire country have ATSC tuners.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
New Broadcast Regs

The reason for my concern for the 'audio-out' was my affinity for excellent sound & video. I assume that the Airstream fact. sys. uses the amplified audio from the CD/DVD/Tuner to drive the spkrs, the best way IMHO.

Although informed about new broadcast regulations, I wasn't aware current TV's would be 'outdated' & require a converter.

The 2 options I now see are, 1): Either buy a HDTV now, excluding the Sharp we're looking at, or 2): buy a 'cheap' 13" DVD/TV ($200) as a 'throw-away' until things are settled.

I'm open to opinions.

P.S. 'hohne', Thanks for your trouble and input. -Ed
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:32 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
There is yet another reason to avoid buying HDTV equipment now.

The connection between things like HDTV capable satellite and cable tuners, which also include the ATSC tuner that "HDTV-ready" sets don't have, up until recently has been ANALOG component (YPrPb).

The motion-picture industry has been and is still against analog because it can be used to video-capture high resolution signal.

So they are supporting a new interface called Digital Video Interface with High-Definition Copy Protection (DVI-HDCP). This is NOT the same DVI that comes on flat-panel computer monitors! In fact, if a box has that form of DVI output, it MUST be down-converted to NTSC quality, by agreement of the Broadcast Protection Working Group.

I know that the HDCP encryption was cracked almost simultaneously and independently by researchers at 3 universities, however, it isn't the copy protection that makes the DVI signal unrecordable, its the huge volume of data moving across it.

Digital HDTV quality programming is stored and transmitted in a highly compressed format. If it were not, it could not even be stored and it certainly couldn't be transmitted within allowed bandwidth. Hollywood wants that signal to be decompressed in the first box it passes through, rather than be passed on from the first box to others in compressed format. And decompressing in the first box, means that transfer to other boxes occur over something capable of the HUGE bandwidth, and that's DVI. For this purpose, DVI-HDCP.

Passing the signal on in compressed digital format allows "home recording" on something like Digital VHS (DVHS). The standard for transferring compressed digital video data is Firewire, something that's been around in the computer world for awhile. And there is a DTCP copy-protection scheme for Firewire as well.

The industry is trying to trick the buying public into believing DVI is superior to Firewire because the former can transmit many times the bandwidth of Firewire. The fact is that Firewire can transmit 11 channels of compressed digital video, if you support a connection scheme that supports home recording, and doesn't decompress the data until it gets to the display. The other thing that DVI allows that Firewire doesn't is called overlays, where menus or advertising can be added to the program source.

My reason for going through all this is to warn you that a display that only has analog component video input one day may not be allowed to get HDTV quality signal from a source box, if Hollywood has their way and closes the "analog loophole" they hate so much.

I also wanted to warn you that the computer monitor that has DVI, that you are considering buying, will not be able to use the DVI-HDCP from a HDTV satellite or cable tuner, or Digital VHS, unless it is specifically DVI-HDCP.

If you HAVE to buy HDTV level equipment now, make sure the display has DVI-HDCP inputs, and that any source box you buy has DVI-HDCP outputs. If you want to do home-recording at the HDTV level, make sure the source box has Firewire output. Otherwise, you will have to have a source box that has the recording (i.e. TiVo) built into it, where the signal can be recorded before being uncompressed.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:26 AM   #28
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
TV Sound through Stereo

Another easy way to get TV Stereo sound through your existing Stereo is by means of an FM modulator.
The modulator accepts headphone impedance inputs, then converts the sound to Stereo FM in pre-selected frequencies.
You can make a preset on your stereo, or manually tune to the frequency that the modulator is set to. Now the tv sound will come through your stereo, with no wires or input/output problems.
It sounds good, good enough in my opinion for all but the highest end surround systems.
The signal is stereo, and you might have to turn the tv volume to a good enough level for the modulator to work properly. Overall volume would be controlled via the stereo.
Many minivan/suv lcd tv's use this system of getting sound to the stereo.
Apple's i-pod has this as an accessory.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I had thought of running the audio out from the TV, down into the credenza, under the bar cabinet and fold out table, up behind the sofa and the front curtains to the overhead cabinet where the stereo car radio, with aux input is located.

But I like this modulator idea a lot better. Thanks, uwe!
Old 02-07-2004, 03:03 PM   #30
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Maurice,
You're welcome.
Another advantage would be the possibility of using a walkman type portable radio and headphones, for instance if wifey is napping and hubby wants to see nascar.....or whatever.
Or a small radio near earshot, or listen to a game outside the trailer in the summer etc.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Hello all, I haven't been able to see the TV you're talking about but an idea I've been kicking around is to buy a LCD monitor/TV combination. There's one on EBAY in particular I'm watching. It's the Samsung 170MP TV. With it you're able to connect a TV or pizza dish type antenna for watching television (there's a built in TV reciever) or use you PC/lap top computer. The flexiblity to both is a great advantage in our limited spaces. Just an idea I thought I could share with everyone...STu
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:34 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

TV is configured to drive stereo...

Hello,

I got a chance to sit in Goonybird with both manuals -- in short, the TV tuner is connected to the stereo. All I had to do was enable it at the stereo end. AS installed the cable to the TV already.

When I looked at the menu for the TV, the audio lines were already configured to be LINE OUTS instead of LINE INS. That told me that they were intended to drive the stereo, and not vice-versa.

When I looked at the menus for the stereo, the line-out choice was not enabled. Once I told the stereo that it had a line out attached to it, it then gave me the choice to enable it. I enabled it, and was able to hear stereo TV out of the stereo system from brodcast TV.

So, in short, the capability was pre-wired, but the stereo was not configured to take advantage of it...until I configured it. The TV was configured, though...

The SHARP has many choices of video inputs...I will summarize them as a follow up.

-Rob
hohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 11:43 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

FM modulator

...Our DVD player in the suburban (it is aftermarket) uses a FM modulator to play TV through the stereo...

I dunno why I did not think of it -- we usually have the kids use the infrared headphones instead of the Suburban stereo when they watch movies, so we can listen to CD's.

...we have used the stereo when we have had extra kids with us...the frequency is selectable between two choices, in case there happens to be a local FM station on your freq.

The FM modulator in our truck is integrated into the 12 volt DVD player, already, for those wanting to add on...there are players out there with this already in it.

The IR headphones are driven by a LED on the monitor. Your head has to be in the truck to hear it...

-Rob
Old 02-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
FM Modulator

I wasn't aware you could buy a FM Modltr as a stand alone. I'll see if I can find one. That would surfice for what we're trying to accomplish.

Thanks, -Ed
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 06:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I bought one through C. Crane www.ccrane.com to use in my car to listen to my MP3 player through the FM radio.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #36
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Another good choice for modulators, or small monitors, or 12V players etc. is Parts Express. they carry all kinds of goodies for mobile video/audio'Their catalogs are great. Better than the website, in my opinion.

www.partsexpress.com
Old 02-09-2004, 06:50 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Picture of Mount...have more if anyone needs them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_mount.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	4768  
Old 02-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #38
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Here's the mount, does the catch have a manufacturer name?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Latch had a patent number 4597599

Looked up the patent, and is owned by a company called Southco.

They have a website, but the pictures of their latches would not display (404 error).

Looking for a source...
Old 02-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

...took the latch apart, and lost half the parts looking for a part number...

(just kidding!!!)

I did take it apart looking for a part number, and all they have on there is a patent number.

Their website has a picture of the dang thing in a promotional picture, but the part number cross reference will not display the eningeering pictures so we can figure out the part number.

The web site said you can get sample quantities of stuff.