Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 07:18 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Isn't my floor supposed to be flat???

2004 AS International CCD 22'

I was working on reinstalling the dinette, reversing an interior disaster by the previous owner, when I noticed that the floor curves downward A LOT on the curb side.

Any ideas why?

First pic is next to door in front of bed, second pic just forward of curbside wheel well, third is just in front of rear desk.

The floor seems to be flat everywhere else.

Also, is the wheelwell supposed to be angled like it is, or should it be square with the wall and floor?

THANKS for any considered thoughts or experience!

-Ken (first week of ownership)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3407_web.gif
Views:	50
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	388234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3408_web.gif
Views:	46
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	388235  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3414_web.gif
Views:	43
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	388236  
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Curious on this one myself.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Wow. I have a feeling you already know the answer to your question.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to check the sub-forum which includes your 2004 22' International CCD:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f282/index2.html

. . . and these search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2004...=airforums.com
Same as above adding "frame problems" -- https://www.google.com/search?ei=F1U...4dUDCAw&uact=5

Have you seen any evidence of floor rot or water damage, which might have been above rusty frame problems? Is that the original flooring in your other thread?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/...st-219010.html

The floor looks pretty new for a trailer which is almost 20 years old IMO.

Any chance the previous owner buried some problems under this floor?

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Beaumont , California
OTRA15:

EXCELLENT HELP

I am disappointed with myself, as I have years of experience with buying/driving/repairing older vehicles from the 1940's through the 1990's. I never would have (and did not) expect frame problems with this era of Airstream. I allowed myself to be mesmerized by the look and the reputation. The reality is that Airstream screwed all of their buyers of this era and model.

My trailer is of the front bed/roadside galley/rear wet bath/desk floor plan.

After reading four pages of the thread posted by OTRA15 https://www.airforums.com/forums/f36...nal-48105.html

...I then knew what to look for.

And I found that the frame on the curb side has had a screwball frame adjustment consisting of different dimension square tube being welded between the axles and the frame in order to level the body.

I can also see the side frame extensions "ouriggers" are not square and are sagging.

We paid $29,000 for this trailer which seems to be too much now. The current market is very tight and available trailers of this size have been hard to find, and most were over 300 miles away. Most have been sold with the advertised asking price from $35,000 to $45,000 (with new axles and other major maintenance). However, had I known about the propensity of this era and model frame failures, I would have insisted on paying $4,000 less.

The previous owner insisted I use the included equalizing hitch, which she said she always used. I have read that these hitches are being blamed for contributing to frame damage on these trailers. I never use one, myself.

OK, I'm done crying.

Fortunately (or not), I am skilled at welding and making heavy repairs. While I loathe the idea of this big project, I will be able to do it at little cost. I cannot trust this thing to go to Banff and Alaska from southern California at this point, so I have no choice. The trip will be summer of 2022, so I have some time between getting the tow vehicle ready plus all the other little time black holes that being a dad and husband manifest.

The above thread is extensive at over 20 pages, so I will not be adding to this anymore.

Again, THANK YOU OTRA15!

PS: The floor in the previous thread is composite "hardwood" panels. None of this problem was visible when hidden under the wooden bench that the previous owners had installed. Removal for reinstallation of the dinette revealed the problem. In a way I was just lucky that we were going back to the original furniture!

This trailer will be going to storage for a few weeks until my schedule permits the removal of the axles, removal of the belly pan sheets, and thorough inspection.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Due to an accident involving our trailer banging very substantially up and down, the frame outriggers on the curbside bent and partly separated from the frame. The result was a floor bowed like yours. This involved no fault of Airstream in either construction or design, but was simply a consequence of a frightening accident.

We were lucky to have Vinnie of North Bay Airstream take on the job of correcting the damage. A lift kit and welded on support plates for the outriggers worked wonders and the trailer is now in great shape and ready for many more years of travel such as our trip last September post-repair. Vinnie also replaced two panels that were damaged in the accident.

For us, the investment in the repair was well worth it. We had bought the trailer new in 2002 and the repairs were much less expensive than a new or newer Airstream.

My point is that Airstreams are repairable when many other trailers might not be.

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ugghh . . . thanks for the detailed update . . . well said . . . happy to help.

Mesmerization over . . . sorry to say . . . but better than chasing an illusion IMO.

Happy trails . . . wherever they may be . . . when one door closes . . .

PS -- Bad on Airstream for sure!

Old 02-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Girdwood , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndcctrucks View Post
2004 AS International CCD 22'

I was working on reinstalling the dinette, reversing an interior disaster by the previous owner, when I noticed that the floor curves downward A LOT on the curb side.

Any ideas why?

First pic is next to door in front of bed, second pic just forward of curbside wheel well, third is just in front of rear desk.

The floor seems to be flat everywhere else.

Also, is the wheelwell supposed to be angled like it is, or should it be square with the wall and floor?

THANKS for any considered thoughts or experience!

-Ken (first week of ownership)
I discovered my floor was also sagging fore and aft of the axels. This is probably a cracked frame. The floor is being pushed up into the skin. The outriggers have probably bent or failed. The installation of a new frame under the original seems to be a reasonable solution.
Johnhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Girdwood , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You might want to check the sub-forum which includes your 2004 22' International CCD:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f282/index2.html

. . . and these search results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2004...=airforums.com
Same as above adding "frame problems" -- https://www.google.com/search?ei=F1U...4dUDCAw&uact=5

Have you seen any evidence of floor rot or water damage, which might have been above rusty frame problems? Is that the original flooring in your other thread?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f7/...st-219010.html

The floor looks pretty new for a trailer which is almost 20 years old IMO.

Any chance the previous owner buried some problems under this floor?

Good luck.
I suspect that every 22 ft AS 2004-2006 has or will have a cracked frame. Typically on the dinette side. The kitchen frame work on the other side provides some additional structure. The dinette side doesn’t have this additional structure. The factory will offer to replace this frame with a new one for about 20k. The new one is not likely to last. I had a new 2x4 steel frame installed direct ally under the original. This lifts and straightens the entire trailer. It appears to have worked well for the past two years and 20k miles. The whole process was done in a week by Professional Trailer Repair in Tucson AZ. They are a great crew!
Johnhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Beaumont , California
Airstream representative Cory Rex informed me:
"Cory Rex (Airstream)

Feb 10, 2021, 10:00 AM EST

Ken,
Some sagging can happen on the larger units at the rear, however it does seem to be quite a lot and should not be

in front of the wheels. We would recommend having this looked at by a RV Tech.

CORY M. REX"

The serial number of my trailer ends with 515875; the Bulletin states trailers after 515567 are not affected by the manufacturing defect that the Bulletin addresses, EXCEPT that units 514618, 514673, and 514666, all of which would seem to have been built AFTER mine.

I accept that I bought a 17-year-old trailer, but Airstream's apparent aversion to being responsible for design defects does not elevate its reputation with me.

Anyways, I won't post the Bulletin because I don't know if it's protected or not for public dissemination.

If you believe your trailer is affected by this situation, I encourage you to contact them.

I have already made plans to reinforce the frame (which will be an extensive job). It consists of placing new main rails under the originals, jacking the sides of the shell to straighten the outriggers and then bracing the outriggers.

Best,
-Ken
Old 02-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . Airstream's apparent aversion to being responsible for design defects does not elevate its reputation with me.
. . .
If Airstream had endeavored to repair all its design defects for many decades, it probably would have gone under a long time ago IMO.

. . . not to mention many RV mfg. which are probably worse IMO . . .

Sorry for your situation . . .
Old 02-11-2021, 07:13 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Beaumont , California
Hmmm

The car manufacturers said the same thing about adding seat belts, catalytic converters, and proper location of gas tanks outside of the vehicle cabin...

OTRA15, I really do appreciate and thank you for your help, so no offense intended as I disagree about this.

Maybe I’m missing something? Are every model and year having this issue, this badly?
Old 02-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
The serial number of my trailer ends with 515875; the Bulletin states trailers after 515567 are not affected by the manufacturing defect that the Bulletin addresses, EXCEPT that units 514618, 514673, and 514666, all of which would seem to have been built AFTER mine.

I accept that I bought a 17-year-old trailer, but Airstream's apparent aversion to being responsible for design defects does not elevate its reputation with me.
If numerical order is significant, units with 514... serial numbers were built before your 515875 and that number is higher than 515567, so your trailer should not have the defects covered by the bulletin.

It sounds like you do not know the history of the 17-year-old trailer you bought. Anything could have happened to it including an accident like I mentioned above. Unfortunately, without knowing that history, it is not appropriate to hold Airstream responsible for the frame and outrigger damage.

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote