Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Santa Fe , Texas
Is this normal?

I tried to place a parts order Mon. AM with Inland R.V., Quite a few parts but nothing that should be a problem (marker lamps,gaskets,seals,rivits,light covers,shower pan etc.) and was told she would need to look everything up to make sure they had all in stock(all items ordered are currently listed on their sites "Sales List&quotand would call me back in a couple of hours. I call back Tue.@ noon and am told she is still looking everything up and will call me back shortly. No call. Am I wasting my time with these people or is this normal? I placed this order first thing Mon.for a reason. I am looking for a reliable and timely parts source for a '74 L/Y. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
David Kinsey
DKinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Thumbs down Never had a problem

That's quite unusual. We have never had a problem getting parts. Maybe Andy will pick up on this and answer you direct. Good luck with your project.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

They just could be very busy. I ordered a part from another vendor last Friday and phoned them Monday morning. They had the part in stock already boxed and they only needed to put a label on it. I was told it would ship Wednesday. I asked what the $ 27.25 handling and fright was for and they just said it would ship Wednesday and I should have it the following week. Wow! it dose make you upset. Next order I'll find another vendor.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
FYI- I've had good luck ordering from Oasis RV. They are very supportive of vintage units.

Check out www.oasisrv.com

Good luck with your project.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I've had good results with Andy and crew. I'd believe you could ask for a call-back with a report on where your order is going. InlandRV's website does a good job of showing you what is available -- and they have restarted production runs for vintage parts!

I've also dealt with OasisRV (for the rare-elsewhere J-Trim for inside aluminum edges) -- no complaints there either.

Try to stand out from the crowd and you'll make out.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

i made an order with another dealer here in calif..........it would be almost $1000 with shipping.they waited a week to turn it in to the factory. when i found out i promptly told them what they could do with my order and canceld it...........
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
Sounds similar to my attempt to order some parts from them. Three calls still no parts. She said it is inventory time or something like that. For now I am considering that I have not placed the order and will look for another source.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Summer

Most Airstream people are out in the summer.

The best time to order parts and equipment is in the winter.

Chill dudes, enjoy the summer!
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:28 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

We too have had great service from Oasis in Tucson....
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #10
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I have also had great service from Oasis in Tuscon -- in fact, I live only a few miles from Dillon's RV but go to Oasis when I need parts. Having said that, I'm surprised to hear of the service problem at Inland. Almost all of their feedback is positive and Andy is a great contributor to this forum.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Returning phone calls

DKinsey

Researching some items on a customers request for parts, can take some time. Usually at least one day. However, if one of our staff is out, for whatever reason, it could take a couple of days, and depending if we must get Airstream involved, it could take up to a week.

You called Monday morning. We were short two people all day Monday.

Additionally, our offices are all being remodeled, to coincide with the X-STREAM MAKEOVER coptest, which has slowed down our normal response time.

I was not through with pricing out your requests until about 1 PM Tuesday, and gave the paperwork back to one of our customer service girls.

She called you back on 7-26 at 2:10 PM. Your mail box was full.

She called you back again on 7-26 at 3:20 PM. Your mail box was still full.

It is impossible to leave any message when someones cell phones mail box is full.

The girl handling your file does not come in until 9 AM. Therefore she did not have any opportunity to call you back, until today.

It is a near impossible task, sometimes, to call and call and call, and receive no answer, or the answering machine is full, or the cell phone mail box is full.
The girls then will try at least once a day, for three or four days to call back.
After that, we have no choice but to file the inquiry.

I will have one of our customer service girls try to call you again, this morning.

It is not our practice to ignor any customers request, or to not return phone calls.

However, if we cannot leave a message then that customer has tied our hands. That, unfortunately, happens many times, every day.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
DKinsey.

As of 9:20 AM today, your cell phone mail box is "still full".

How do you suggest we reach you?

We cannot post prices of items we sell on this web site.

Please advise.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:52 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

For what it's worth, my own experiences with Inland have been positive. They have been quick to fill and ship the two orders that I have placed with them. (and equally as quick to charge it all to my Visa too !) My only complaint would be the lack of any alternative to UPS for shipping from Inland. When I placed my first order I requested a different method of shipping and they told me that the only way they would ship was via UPS, no ifs ands or buts.

You see, any consumer products shipped into Canada are subject to applicable taxes, (which you can't do anything about), but when they arrive from the US via courier they charge you "brokerage fees" as well allegedly for clearing the parcel through customs. Fed-ex isn't too bad and if someone insists on using a courier then I'd pick Fed-ex every time. On average they charge $10 - $15 CDN. for brokerage. UPS on the other hand like to jam it in a little further. From my experience they charge $40 to $50 CDN. for the same service. By the time you figure the price of the parts and shipping, factor in the exchage rate and add the taxes it kinda hurts to have to pay the brokerage too. Of course the best way for Canadians to get stuff shipped out of the US is via USPS. The Priority Air service delivery time and cost is comparable to couriers and there are NO brokerage fees charged. The only downfall on this end is that you have to go to the post office to pick up larger parcels. Oh well - you can't win 'em all I guess. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
I too have ordered from them and have had fantastic service.The girls are great and fun to talk to (and so is Andy). But anyway, give them time it is the summer.
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:45 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Santa Fe , Texas
I apologize! My fault! My phone is set up to roll out Private or Anonymous #'s due to the high volume of phone solicitors not having a call back #. My question is this normal and evidently NOT. Order was placed and I also apologized to Cindy and I do apologize to Inland RV.Thanks.
David Kinsey
DKinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am a great fan of Airstream Dreams.

http://www.airstreamdreams.com/
Old 08-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Dickinson , Texas
In the past 3 years that I have owned my A/S, I have learned that there are great RV places to do business with.

I suggest you do like any responsible consumer and try them all, then only give your repeat business to the ones that YOU feel value you as a customer.
old_silver is offline   Reply With Quote