Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Interior refresh-‘87 Excella Sovereign

We did it! We bought our 5th Airstream yesterday and boy, does she need a reboot.

First, maybe y’all can help me with the model? It says Excella on the outside and we found some Socereign plates in a drawer. Interior measurements are 22’ by 7.9’. It has rear beds. Anyone know what I’ve got?

It’s the first time we’ve ever purchased from a dealer, but we got a good deal, it was nearby, it was the floorplan I wanted. She’s just a little ugly. The last folks started a redo, did an awful job, and it’s not my taste. I like restoring things more than updating them. My husband and I own a real estate company that specializes in MCM architecture and we’ll always take preserved original over new/remodeled any day. I’m actually going to put colors and materials in this that are more reminiscent of the 70’s than the 80’s.

She’s been shined up recently and has a good awning. For now, the exterior is fine. There’s a dent in the top center panel, well deal with that later.

As for the interior, there’s much to do. The last owners put peel and stick tiles over the whole kitchen and the floor installation is so choppy and poor, were pulling it out, even though it’s new. It’s also gray and I’m going with natural wood tones since I’m keeping the wood cabinets.

In our first 24 hours all we’ve done is get the peel and stick tiles off the walls-that was hideous, my hands hurt. And I’ve recovered the fridge as inspiration to keep going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3CE3E072-43A4-4EC1-8A48-AB6597895612.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	655.8 KB
ID:	368955   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0D2672D-864C-4E0F-81F5-5B7BE2FC7C8B.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	368956  

Name:	7C777B3F-C787-4570-8069-0D11D52C2064.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	368957   Click image for larger version

Name:	CA89209F-F131-4A33-9ACC-F02D9D02B2A4.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	368958  

megan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
Redoing 1985 Excella mid-bath.
Have 1960’s ranch that we are updating consistent with 60’s decor and tile.

My suggestion is that the bulkheads will peel and the t-molding will break. All the ABS PLASTIC that is 35 years old isn’t going to last.

First demo but I’d try to keep interior skin intact. We kept the C channel on so we could replace bulkheads in the same place. Remove bulkheads but ID them and set aside as a pattern. The two sides of the AS are NOT symmetric !

Look for floor rot around edges. Replace flooring or get help with that- 5/8’s Marine plywood instead of OSB. Treat mold and epoxy small soft areas on floor.

Replace grey tubing with PEX. Trust me on this. If you don’t want to remove belly pan, run it behind beds. Consider replacing fresh water tank anyway so might as well take it to dealer/restorer for floor/fresh water tank/PEX anyway. Furnace prob. Fine but needs cleaning; consider replacing water heater at this time.

Bulkheads: check your local hardwood store. Ours will put Nevamar laminate on 1/2” BALTIC birch ply for less than we can do it ourselves with Wilsonart from Lowes. We chose Antique White as it goes well with interior skin, but if you really like those dark 70’s colors, knock yourself out. There are lots of patterns and colors to choose from. They will set up a lamination date when they have enough orders to pay a guy to to that for a day; maybe once a month.

Set new material under old bulkheads on saw horses and clamp. Trace outline; use hand-held jigsaw to rough cut, them use router with original panel as a guide. Wear lung eye and ear protection.

T-groove in the front with router or dremel. We skipped this and are having to figure out how to do this on the vertical. Or choose iron-on edging.

Re-place rivets om C-channel as needed. Poly seal the lower edge of your panels or use firring strip to raise panel away from moisture. Slide new panels into place, screw in to secure (pre-drill is good).

We replaced our ABS tub with a fiberglass version from Inland RV. Not perfect, but it won’t crack.

We replaced twin bunks with IKEA double bed. We got the lift-bed. Other companies make lift beds too; we found that the short Queen didn’t give us side room to stand in older AS. We removed upper tambour cabinets in bedroom because of change in bed.

We are stick-building cabinet frames in galley and bathroom for stronger support and using existing aluminum frames as a face. I would shy away from box cabinets if you can; they tend to be too heavy.

I have lots of vinyl tambour, curtain rails etc. if you need parts.

I sold my gaucho to a gay couple from Arizona; we built in a large banquette and repurposing a 70’s round folding table.

Bought 70’a Magic Chef range $100 on Craigs List to replace 80’s since hinges were never upgraded to handle the glass door.

Best of luck!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5820.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	369177Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5787.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	370.5 KB
ID:	369178
Old 06-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
DRJJL

1985 31' Sovereign
Poway , California
The correct paint match for the 80’s copper rose or rose gold trim including the aluminum U channel for the bulkheads, the square aluminum tubing, the tambour pulls, etc. appears to be Krylon Copper Rose”.

We are planning to paint tambour to match the pulls and also paint our copper aluminum mini-blinds which are too orange to otherwise go with the rest of the trim pieces.Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	369309Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5906.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	369310
Old 06-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
What you have appears to be an Excella 25/Rear Twin... We owned an '88 Excella 25 from 2003 until last month.. Color schemes from '80's were not pretty, lots of pinks/avocados and harvest golds.. Easy to disassemble couch and reupholster major components, and will make big improvement.. We bought the JPA Curtain set and replaced ugly mini-blinds with off-white versions from Home Depot (custom ordered..). We also had carpet pulled and installed composite hardwood flooring. As for kitchen area, cabinets were oak, but if badly painted you may either have to spent $$ to strip or just repaint.. Counter could be replaced as a single piece, which would also open option to install new sink/faucet combo..

John

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjudy View Post
The correct paint match for the 80’s copper rose or rose gold trim including the aluminum U channel for the bulkheads, the square aluminum tubing, the tambour pulls, etc. appears to be Krylon Copper Rose”.

We are planning to paint tambour to match the pulls and also paint our copper aluminum mini-blinds which are too orange to otherwise go with the rest of the trim pieces.Attachment 369309Attachment 369310
This is so great! It took me a day or two to notice it, but man...I love it!!! I'm going to pick some of this up just for touch ups!
Old 06-06-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum View Post
What you have appears to be an Excella 25/Rear Twin... We owned an '88 Excella 25 from 2003 until last month.. Color schemes from '80's were not pretty, lots of pinks/avocados and harvest golds.. Easy to disassemble couch and reupholster major components, and will make big improvement.. We bought the JPA Curtain set and replaced ugly mini-blinds with off-white versions from Home Depot (custom ordered..). We also had carpet pulled and installed composite hardwood flooring. As for kitchen area, cabinets were oak, but if badly painted you may either have to spent $$ to strip or just repaint.. Counter could be replaced as a single piece, which would also open option to install new sink/faucet combo..

John
So...the interior measurement is 22', does that mean that they always count the tongue and hitch into the model? I don't know why, but I thought they didn't. What's funny is...I LOVE the green, orange and golds. This one is powder blue and peach/pink. I can't stand powdery colors. Because I've only ever had 70's models and have to reuse my fabrics from those other airstreams, I'm going with a modern white/gold for this one. In the long run, we want to get the couch recovered but until then, we'll just throw a cover over it. For the curtains, I found the track "teeth" on Wish and will use clips from Ikea to hang the curtains. I COULD do both top and bottom so they stay tight to the wall, but I'm not sure if I will or not. I'll try both ways. As for carpet, someone had recently put in a gray LVP, but I think it looks weird with the dark brown stain of the cabinets. We'll be replacing it with LVP of the same color as the cabinets. I don't even have carpet in my house, I certainly can't have it in a trailer that will house 3 kids and 2 dogs!
Old 06-06-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
I've got some updates, but I couldn't work on it too much this week because my day job has been keeping me busy. You'll see my buddy, Shasta, helping me out as I tape everything off. I sprayed the front half and then decided to hand paint the bedroom. I've since re-decided to spray it, which should happen tomorrow if the rain will let up enough. I got the wallpaper up where I want it and once the paint in the bedroom is done, we'll rip out the floors and reinstall the same LVP but in a color more in line with the cabinets. You can see the fabrics I'm reusing from my old Airstreams. I think this one will be unfussy and modern but colorful and a little retro.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43wtdj.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	369605   Click image for larger version

Name:	gadhsfjd.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	369606  

Name:	gshg.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	369607   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	369608  

Old 06-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
As you can see, we lost our table. By that, I mean it didn't come with one. Can you think of a way I can turn that into useful storage? I had thought about putting a cabinet there with deep drawers, not thinking that your legs wouldn't fit for you to sit on that side of the couch. I'm thinking Ikea makes a very narrow shoe cabinet that might fit nicely. Any other ideas?

Tags
sovereign