Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Interior "popped" rivet replacement?

Greetings,

It appears that most new/old AS units flex and "pop" interior rivets from time to time for one reason or another. The question that I have, is what to replace them with? Is the interior rivets used designed to "pop", like a shear bolt? If so, then I would think that replacing them with another pop rivet would be the best course of action and replace them as they shear. However, if they are not designed to shear then maybe a metal screw would hold better. Thoughts on best rivet repairs greatly appreciated.

Regards,
JDB
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Following for answers.

"A good man takes care of his animals, but wicked men are cruel to theirs." Proverbs 12:10
daymonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would go back with rivets..I can say after the initial stresses are relieved in a particular point, I have not had a re-occurrence.

I did also take remedial action to ensure balanced running gear, tires (pressures), and proper hitching/loading practices.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I think that I would I would tend to replace a failed rivet with another similar rivet. I would fear that replacing the rivet with a stainless steel sheet metal screw could cause damage to the aluminum sheet if it would suffer the same stress that caused the rivet to fail.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Replace with Rivets

"The Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance" says replace with 1/8" short rivets. I keep a rivet tool and a box of these in the trailer. I seem to pop ones near the door fairly regularly. If the head breaks off, drill out the old rivet with a 1/8" bit slowly until it drops inside the wall. Then only takes 30 seconds to put the new one in. Just squeeze the handle 2 or 3 times until it clicks. Very easy.
The 20v Black and Decker cordless drill has become one of the most used items I have bought. Drilling out rivets, putting in screws, raising and lowering the stabilizer bars, etc.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJORJDB View Post
Greetings,

It appears that most new/old AS units flex and "pop" interior rivets from time to time for one reason or another. The question that I have, is what to replace them with? Is the interior rivets used designed to "pop", like a shear bolt? If so, then I would think that replacing them with another pop rivet would be the best course of action and replace them as they shear. However, if they are not designed to shear then maybe a metal screw would hold better. Thoughts on best rivet repairs greatly appreciated.

Regards,
JDB
My family heirloom AS is nearly 50 yrs old and never restored. We lose interior rivets occasionally along the rib to which the front end cap is attached. Being in front where there is the most weight, combined with a 4" frame, flexing causes rivet heads to "pop" off. The rivet body is usually left in place and sometimes the hole in the interior sheet metal is shifted slightly from the hole in the frame member. If a gentle probe with an awl doesn't realign the two holes and push the rivet body through, I use a 1/8th inch drill bit to drill the rivet body out and enlarge the hole in the interior skin taking care not to enlarge the hole in the frame member. I have also used the stabilizing legs to try and shift the metal by counter flexing, but that is not usually effective and the shearing force that caused the rivet failure will recur. Over the years, the number of rivets lost has decreased. It has been a year or two since the last one and we make frequent short trips. I won't say they have stopped breaking because as soon as I do, there will be another one.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
A variation--for the first time with a popped rivet, the holes in the two plates are so far misaligned (about 1/2 the diameter) that I couldn't force a 1/8" rivet partway in and then lever the plates into alignment before tightening. So temporarily, I've used a stainless #6 screw to do the job--it's the perfect size for the misaligned hole.

Hopefully, at some point we'll be parked somewhere wher the plates torque and realign so I can actually get a rivet in.

Anybody figured a better solution to get the plates to align?
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Vintage Trailer Supply sells the AS interior rivets, along with most others outside & they advertise on here.

They also have flat belly pan rivets &/or aluminum washers if the holes enlarged, & the acorm Olymipic rivets & rivet shaver that finish them to look like the OE buck rivets - if any of those have popped.

You'll also need a rivet gun from them or a local hardware or home improvement store.

Good Luck!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
I bought the rivet gun kit from Airstream. My only complaint is that it contains 6 different rivets as a starter supply but no guidance on which rivets to use in which areas.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Thanks All, in fact I do have the book "Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance" inbound and its good to know that it addresses such issues/questions as I'm sure I'll have many more. Fortunately, I only have one rivet missing near the front cap so far.
Regards,
JDB
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Call Airstream and they will be happy to let you know what size rivets and where they are used. Rivets and tool can be ordered from AS. Also I think the sizes are listed if you get the parts manual for your trailer online and look at the drawings and associated parts.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Fullerton , North Dakota
Do you use aluminum or stainless steel rivets?
LWinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
I have the correct rivets and gun but I have a question as to the correct method to replace a popped rivet on the interior of our camper.
As can see from the picture, part of the rivet seems to be in the hole. Should I just push it through? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	397422
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Use a 1/8 " drill to remove the old rivet

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bettendorf , Iowa
Thank you Gary. Worked!
Interesting, I’m in Santa Fe and the heat has been unusually high the last couple of days. In the morning it is cool then the sun starts heating everything and we were sitting having lunch and a couple of rivet heads popped. Now today the refrigerator fan is making noise. I’m discovering that part of the experience is doing repairs on the road. I THOUGHT I had brought enough
tools.
Rltports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Use a 1/8 " drill to remove the old rivet

Gary
Do that carefully! The outer skin is not very far past the rivet you'll be drilling out.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Mobile , Georgia
I use a spring loaded center punch once the head has been removed to push the shaft of the rivet into the wall. That way there's no fear of accidentally drilling through the outside skin.

Here's a link to the one I bought on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
88Limited is offline   Reply With Quote