Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Aldergrove , British Columbia
Interior Paint Questions - Covering Zolatone

We are going to repaint the interior of our '65 Caravel, but we are not sure what type of paint to use. I don't have the cash, the knowledge or the equipment to squirt zolatone, so we are looking for another single color option.

We called Sherman Williams, but they had never heard of Zolatone. They asked me what type of paint it is and I have no idea. I checked the Zolatone website and noted that they seem to have many different paints and no historical reference.

Can anyone recommend a paint product line, a paint type, or some info on the composition of Zolatone??? I would assume to be applying the new paint with a auto type paint spray gun (pot on the gun with compressed air supply).

Thanks!
Frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Interior semi-gloss latex

We used a white semi-gloss latex paint over what was there on our 65gt. Looks good, plus it's easy to touch up.

If you're handy why not choose something like faux textures? Lime green was cool back then

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Aldergrove , British Columbia
Lime green - nice touch...

My wife is definitely into the retro redo - you should see the funky wallpaper she is pulling her colors from. I'm working hard to keep things a little on the neutral side as I'm hoping to sell in a couple years and start over with a bigger unit.

Thanks for the post - every little bit of info helps!
Frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote