Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Interior Paint

I just painted the interior of my MH using a Product from Sherwin Williams called Polane 700T. This is a water based urethane that was originally formulated for the business machine market. It is very stain resistant and durable, with a nice low sheen. I found out from a friend who paints the interiors of airplanes that he uses it as well as a solvent based product called polane L. Not being crazy about the fumes of solvent I opted for the water based product.
The surface must be clean and grease free. To accomplish this I cleaned with a strong solution of simple green and rinsed many times, changing the rinse water often.
I prepared any cracks I had by drilling a tiny hole at the end of the crack to stop it from travelling any further. I then filled the cracks with a flexible urethane caulk. (No silicone!!!) I then applied a number of coats of a sandable primer called Kem Aqua Sprayfil. This primer is in other words like spayable bondo. You must sand most of it off however. The result is a very smooth surface free of scratches or imperfections. I then applied 2 coats of the 700T and the results are outstanding. It dries quite quikly has little odor, (do wear a proper charcoal filter resperator.) I have completed the walls and ceiling and will do the cabinets and fake wood areas next.
I just thought I would share this great system with anyone else who might be intersted. Pics to follow.
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

paint

What kind of color choices are there on the product? How would you describe the sheen of the finished job - is it flat, shiney, glossy/???
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I beleive you can get most any color you like. It may take a few days for them to match it. As far as the sheen goes I would say it is like a satin or eggshell.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:16 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Are you not concerned about the sticky stuff coming back through the vinyl and destroying the bond? What about impact resistance on the fake wood?
I repainted my cab ceiling and even after sanding it hard, a heavy duty oil-base type primer/sealer showed only a fair bond.
Just wondering..
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Well I havent started on the fake wood part as of yet and you do inspire some great questions, I will do a test area in a closet befor going at it.
As far as the paint on the plastic goes.This product was designed for use over plastics, has no harsh solvents that might otherwise attack the plastic thus creating a softness that might inhibit adhesion. Oil based products especially the type designed for home use dont have nearly the adhesive qualities as todays profesional quality acrylics.
I will let you know on the fake wood parts.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
did you try to match that "mottled' look of the interior trim or cover all of it? I have a few cracks i fixed and want to paint over, but i would rather not paint it all.
I thought of using the rag on rag off technique, with colors that match the rest of the area as closely as I can. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Also saw a spray "sand" finish that looks close. Lastly i have the zolatone catalogue, but theirs is a three step spray, might be a bit much for such a small area. I'm talking about mayber 4-6" wide and the height of the plastic trim below my overheads near the galley.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up Paint process

J man..
This does sound promising. Our walls are slightly sticky and in the Spring we will clean them. I have used the spray bondo too once before on a car project. It works good. Keep us posted on your project and get us some pic if possible.

Interesting!