Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Interior Insulation What To Use?

OK Ready to put some new insulation into my 56 AIr. I would like to glue a 1/2 foam board on the wall first, and then cover that with regular batted pink house insulation. I used the batted insulation only in my old 62 Air and it kept the interior nice and warm during the winter, and cooler during the summer, but I had a small leak in one of the rivets, and the insulation got all damp, I figure with putting the foam board in first, it will help deaden the sound a bit, help keep mosture away from the other insulation, and if I do develope a leak, the water will stay between the foam board and the wall while it's traveling down, so what ya think?
Dan Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Foam board

I am in the middle of pondering what to use in the wall for insulation of my trailer. I do remember seeing a post from Andy of Inland RV steering people away from the foam board. When the trailer flexes and vibrates down the road it will tend to disintegrate at the joints and rub points. Just a FYI. I was considering using the double foil lined bubble wrap insulation in conjunction with a second type of insulation. What that second insulation will be and how to configure it I do not know yet. I was also planning on placing vent holes in the floor inside the wall cavity and in the roof vent wall to allow for some air flow. In conjunction to this I was searching for a sealant to coat the entire inside of the exterior skin, like the sealant they use to seal concrete walls only it will seal the seams of the trailer panels. Just some ideas.
BB 55 Bubble
Old 07-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tallahassee , Florida
I used two layers of Dow "blue board" styrofoam insulation. It is wedged between the ribs and "glued" into place with cheap latex adhesive (recommended by Dow tech staff). The foam was held in place for at leat 24 hours. It took me a long, long, long, long time to do this. I now have 1 1/2 inches of insulation.
I would consider putting in refrigeration foam applied by a professional company. They can do it in a couple of hours.
JimWeilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote