Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2002, 08:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Alaska
Smile Interior help desired

My 79 MH has had the sofa/bed and fold away table removed and replaced with facing bench seats and a table in between (ala Winnebago). Across the aisle is a plush chair and an AS credenza type storage cabinet.
Anyone out there done any interior modifications or have an idea that might help me get some more sleeping space? The two single beds are great for the kids, but my wife and I need a place to sleep. I could make the table and bench seats convert into a bed, but before I do I thought I'd check with the forum!
This is my first stab at the forum and I look forward to learning and working on my motorhome. Thanks to Peter 79-MH for pointing me in the right Airstream direction.
I'll try to include a picture.
Curtis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6f1-9-10(16-0).jpg
Views:	574
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	42  
Curtis-79MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:17 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Hi Curtis, glad you came by and joined this great forum!
Nice looking sitting area! Maybe Alansd want to trade you for his couch. He was thinking about converting that area.
Camping world sells couch sleepers for about 450.-
They are 32 1/2 "H x 72"W x 31"D
www.campingworld.com
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Hello and welcome to the forums. My 82 has the couch/bed over
the water tank in the same general location as your table set up. I had wanted originally to replace the 2 barrel chairs opposite that with a dinette/fold down bed...to accomodate my 9 year old, but we opted to redo the whole interior upholstery and keep the set up original. (photos are on the airstreamphotos.com companion site)
We looked into any number of couch configurations.
The Flexsteel couches seemed to be the best, and will generally fit most motorhomes- the problem I ran into was having that tank underneath and not being able to clear the water pipes which run into the sink area. i went to camping world ready to buy one they had in stock, but the clearance was not there. Flexsteel made the original furniture, and they no longer make a replacement. I tried salvage place,etc..
My wife and i sleep in the rear twins (like Desi and Lucy), and the kids get the front couch bed, with one of them on afold up mattress on the floor in that same area. Works out well for us, but I sometimes wish I had that GMC set up with the fold down bunk. By the way Campingworld's prices on the flexsteel were unbeatable by quite a bit.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 06:08 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
The 79MH's are wide open in that area. The water tank is under the road side twin bed. So most couches should fit.
Another idea would be to move the dinette to the curb side, replacing the chair and the credenza. But the credenza comes in very handy for the TV, VCR stuff.
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote