Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Interior gutting advice?

I know there are a lot of things to look for as far as safety, when testing appliances/systems to see if they work, work properly, and are safe. We're taking *everything* out, it's the next step in our remodel.

The first thing we're going to do is label everything (cabinets, doors, etc.) before we tear them out and use them for templates if necessary. Then we test appliances etc. so that if they are functional and we want to keep them, then we include their shape/size/wiring etc. in the plan we design for the new interior.

Then we remove the appliances, and we label the wires sticking out of trailer walls for future reference.

Here's my big question:
I've heard stories of heaters exploding and trailers catching fire, stuff like that...does anyone have general advice on appliances, especially stove and heater and potentially dangerous stuff, to see if they work properly?

As always, point me to the existing thread if there is one, or several if there are individual threads on each topic.

We do have a complete owner's manual with wiring diagrams of everything.

Sorry for the vague general all around post, but I don't really know anything about this stuff, and although my husband is good with tools and remodeling, he's never done a trailer before either, and a lot of the stuff I'm reading would be completely foreign to him too...and we don't want to blow up our trailer!

Any and all help would be gratefully welcomed.

pf

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
the big answer

Quote:
Here's my big question:
ingrid,

as being one of three folks on the forum who has seen your trailer inside and out i suggest you try to keep the oven/range and toss everything else for new stuff.

remember, you want to have fun camping! fighting a 30+ year old furnace and waterheater is not my idea of fun when on vacation.

i hate to sound like the dim reaper here, but you also have to consider the safety factor when dealing with items of this age!

glad to hear you guys made it home ok, minus a part or two!

john
Old 07-09-2004, 09:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
ingrid,
as being one of three folks on the forum who has seen your trailer inside and out i suggest you try to keep the oven/range and toss everything else for new stuff.
glad to hear you guys made it home ok, minus a part or two!
john
Why didn't I think to ask you?

That's what we were thinking, I'm glad you said that because it is all so old we were debating doing that very thing, and there's no 'fridge anyway, so that sure simplifies things, and we don't want to think about that stuff on vacation either.

Any advice on testing the oven?

Our little Salt Flats Adventure is a story that's been told a few times already....!

Got any more advice?

ingrid
Old 07-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Ingrid,
get a few of the GOOD dust masks, the ones that cost about 4bucks for a package of 2 when you take things apart. Yucky dust, mold, insects, mildew, insulation particles and several PO's DNA will definitely get the allergies, and migraines going. Once it's stripped and clean, then it's all yours and you can take off the mask.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
yeah

[QUOTE=uwe]Ingrid,
get a few of the GOOD dust masks,QUOTE]

Did that. My father wrote a textbook on asbestos removal that was adopted by the state's curriculum in the trade itself. My lungs are pink...I'm keeping them that way!

Couldn't help but shiver a little though just now.

Nice to hear from you! Didn't you do belly pan work at one time on your 63?

ingrid
Old 07-09-2004, 09:59 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
[QUOTE=pinkflamingoes]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Ingrid,
get a few of the GOOD dust masks,QUOTE]

Did that. My father wrote a textbook on asbestos removal that was adopted by the state's curriculum in the trade itself. My lungs are pink...I'm keeping them that way!

Couldn't help but shiver a little though just now.

Nice to hear from you! Didn't you do belly pan work at one time on your 63?
Ahhhm, the 63 is cleaned, gutted, stripped, disected, de-shelled, and de-framed right now. It's shell is hanging on the ceiling by 3 chains, and I am currently working the kinks and bugs out of the frame with 250lbs of raw steel in various shapes and lengths. You can take a look at the thread "A63 for me", if you're interested. It has some progress pics and the current status.
I did do a entire new rear belly pan on the 71. It's easy, with just a few basic tools. 0.025 5052 Aluminum is not very expensive.
The 63's belly pan is in teh dumpster. You think you got a shiver? Let me tell you - I have never seen so much dirt inside an object in my life. There will be nothing N O T H I N G of the old interior, other than the refinished tub and sink vanity.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
oh.

OK!

"Belly pan is easy". that's the answer I needed...I'll have to take a gander at the 63 work when i get a chance. I'm headed out for pizza and beer right now...!

i.

ingrid
Old 07-10-2004, 03:06 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Take Pictures

Ingrid,
I am a visual person I take lots of pictures before after and during, it helps me get stuff back in the right place. Especially stuff like wiring and plumbing. As far as blowing things up, remove the LP tanks completely away from the trailer, and don't use any type of power cutting tool on any LP line or gas fired appliance. I have seen a 29' Coachman trailer burn to the ground because some one used a grinder to attempt to cut an old fridge fitting, and they accidently cut an LP fitting. The tanks were off the unit and had not been connected for some time. They now have a 29' flat bed trailer.

Good luck with the resto/renovation. And as usual we want to see pictures!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Gas Piping

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I know there are a lot of things to look for as far as safety, when testing appliances/systems to see if they work, work properly, and are safe. We're taking *everything* out, it's the next step in our remodel. ....Then we remove the appliances, and we label the wires sticking out of trailer walls for future reference....Here's my big question:
I've heard stories of heaters exploding and trailers catching fire, stuff like that...does anyone have general advice on appliances, especially stove and heater and potentially dangerous stuff, to see if they work properly?.......husband is good with tools and remodeling, he's never done a trailer before either, ...and we don't want to blow up our trailer!
Ingrid:

If you have not yet made the decision - I would suggest that, since you will have everything exposed, pull all of the gas pipes and replace with new.

Age, vibration, chemicals, and thermo cycles each take a toll on piping over the years......no better time than when you have it apart to replace it.

Actually, the above parameters can be applied to the wiring, but with not nearly the catastrophic results if a failure occurs.

If you see any suspect wiring (frayed, corroded, kinked, off color), it's not that much of a deal to replace sections now as opposed to when everything is back together.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
yep

That is a very very good idea. I will take pictures of every inch of the inside today. I hadn't thought of that. I'll still label it.

The LP tanks are empty and going bye bye. We have figured out that we probably are going to get rid of every single little thing in the trailer. Including floor. Then I want to do a combination of copper and aluminum sheeting on the inside, and the rest will be a combination of warm/cool colors.

I actually have no idea what I'm talking about!

We have to gut it first!

here's a picture of what I took out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	7634  

ingrid
Old 07-10-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
We will definitely do that. Thank you. I can't imagine it would be very hard or expensive especially when everything's opened up.

ingrid