Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Interior floor rot question

Bought a 1989 Excella which had few years old floor repair in the rear (based on the age of the plywood) and looked well done. However, I found a soft spot(turned into a rotted through spot) in the floor about the size of a 9" paper plate in the back corner near the refrigerator side of the kitchen cabinet. The refrigerator was replaced in 2007 and the floor rot itself was dry and crumbly. Is this a spot that is prone to condensation moisture? I plan to repair it but I'd like to get ideas on whether it may be a refrigerator drainage issue or a shell/window leak. Haven't found any other soft spots and the unit doesn't smell musty. Any info on floor rot issues near the fridge would be appreciated...
Regards,
James
Easyrider06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
In very general terms, it seems that when it comes to rotting floors the area just behind/beneath the refrigerator is a rot prone area. For those older trailers that have a hole in the subfloor for air to circulate up past the back of the fridge, I would assume the rot is due, at least in part, to water splashing up from beneath. There is also usually an access hatch in the exterior wall just behind every fridge, and when the seals dry out and crack, these are as prone to leak as any window. You may alos have leakage from the ceiling "chimney" penetration, that gets funneled down to the floor on the backside of the fridge.

So short answer to your question, I suppose is "all of the above, and then some." Condensate could be a culprit as well, but I would guess it is a minimal contribution. I have a small freezer in my garage (in Houston, TX), and have never observed condensate on the outside of the unit, even on the most humid days.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
As Beleg stated, water got in there somehow... Many times.

RV fridges don't have condensate as they are not "frost free". However, if it does frost up and is improperly installed, water could leak in the area.

You need to fix the floor... So a couple pics would help.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote

« platform bed | Top | tanks »