Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Inside Sealant around Windows?

Was wondering if someone could please help me. I've done a search and haven't been able to find what I am looking for. I have used Vulkem to seal around our windows on the exterior; however, I can't seem to find what the Airstream standard product is for sealing the edges on the inside of the Airstream windows? I just did a close inspection of our 2006 Airstream and man, it really needs a caulking re-do. I just want to make sure I use the right product.

It's funny though, in some areas, it almost looks like they did use the grey Vulkem and in other areas, it looks like a clear caulk.

Anyhow, thank you so much in advance for your advice/help/input.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
I found that on my 1975 Tradewind the caulk had pulled away from the window frame in spots, yet the caulk was still soft. In fact when I tried to remove the caulk you would have thought it was caulked three weeks ago not 35 years ago. I gutted my whole trailer and this was the case for all the windows and the door.
I called Airstream to to ask what they had used back then and they said they used the same caulk on the inside and outside, Vulkem 116.
I can't say for sure it was Vulkem as I don't know what 35 year old vulkem looks like but I do know I replace every bit of caulk on the trailer and except for the caulk on the waste valve to drain pipe, it was all the same.
Needless to say I used Vulkem 116 on my trailer, that was 3 years ago and the caulk is still soft.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
I noticed that too with the Vulkem, it is still soft on the exterior of our Airstream as well and I sealed the exterior windows, oh, probably back in November? I also assume that they too used Vulkem on the inside of our windows "here and there" but why they would switch and start using a different sealant on some of the other windows puzzles me.

Now that I think about it, if I do use the grey Vulkem, it will probably look better than using the clear. I've also went to my local drugstore and got some of those "baby" medicine syringes. I have found Vulkem to be so messy and runny to work with. I'm hoping the syringe will help keeps things a little cleaner especially since it will be on the inside this time.

Thanks for letting me know that they used it on the interior too!

PS Have you ever frozen your Vulkem in order to be able to use it at a later time? Mine is currently in my freezer and I'm wondering how it will work once in it's 'thawed' state. Guess I will find out...
Old 05-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Tape both sides of the joints with good quality masking tape. This will allow you to make the bead as wide as needed and keep both edges straight. Apply the Vulkem (Tempro)and then run your finger over the sealant to smooth it and force it deep in the cracks. I like to wipe it in one long pass. Immediately after that carefully remove the tape. The edges will will be straight and by removing the tape at once the edges will "melt" down and not leave a little ridge the thickness of the tape. If you wait to remove the tape you get a little edge. Take care not to let the messy tape touch anything.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote