Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
lds
1 Rivet Member

williamson , West Virginia
How to dis-asemble interior wall skin

Having trouble figuring out how to detach a wall skin in the area of the vista windows from the ceiling skin for replacement. Wanting to replace the skin but can't figure how to separate the ceiling skin from the wall skin at the trim joint.
Any help appreciated Need to cut out an area about 40 inches wide from the ceiling joint to the next overlap joint down. Thanks in advance
lds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
It would help an awful lot to know what year/modle of trailer you are working on.

If it is a 70's vintage, then the order of assembly is as follows: The skins are put in place from bottom to top, overlapping as you go up. When you get to the center section, a set of rail/channel trim is riveted to the higest edge of the last sheets before you get to the center. The center skin is then slid into the channel, and this hides the rivets that hold the channel in place.

So, start by removing the center/ceiling section, then remove the channels/rails, then you can get at the rivets for the next layer of interior skin.

If you don't have a 70's era trailer, then the above may or may not apply.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
lds
1 Rivet Member

williamson , West Virginia
center channel trim

I have a 1970 Safari 23 ft that I am replacing the center metal. Does anyone know where I can buy channel trim that the center piece of aluminum slides into
Thanks
lds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I hope you didn't destroy the original channel. I looked for a replacement within the last year or so visited all the online sellers but came up empty handed. Your best bet may be to look at some of the salvage/used parts sellers.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote