Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
house plants to go

As life long gardens and generally plant lovers , we are curious if there is anyone growing on the road veggies and herbs. We are tossing around the idea of making some window liners that can be removed and set outside the camper while staying at camp side. They could be set in the window wells (sorry ours is a 66 Safari and it does have "inside ledges) while traveling for light then placed out once set up. Also any inside plant container ideas? Any suggestions for growing fresh while on the road.
Thanks,
Karen & Barry
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
Also any inside plant container ideas?
What about fastening a potted plant to the wall? Small plant pots, that would fit into a gimballed wall-mount cup holder that you could buy at West Marine or other boating supply stores. This would be mostly for decorative plants, or possibly herbs.

You may have to fashion some type of hook to secure the pot into the cup holder so it can't bounce out when you hit a pothole, but the gimbal would take care of minor bumps and rocking/swaying.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Gosh, I would be in heaven if I could have a mobile tomato plant!
We have 2 potted mini succulent gardens in our AS. Succlents are so easy to care for. Once they are established, they need watering every 7-10 days.
When we're driving, I stash them in the shower. They are low, shallow pots so they don't tip over when driving.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Yes we have suculents, but our interst is in taking fresh herbs for salads/ and cooking. We're thinking like shadow/window boxes, but potted cherry tomatoes would be a plus!! Maybe a low narrow ivy box over top the front dinnette cupbord. Hmmmmmmm.....
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Karen and Barry,

I saw photos of a person who did this at Alumapaluzza this year. Steve (Tinloaf) took photos of a trailer who had "window boxes", you could ask him about it next week at the rally as of course he'll be there. Here is the link to the photos on his website:

Photo Archive

See ya soon!!

Tina
Old 07-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We have a pretty large garden, and we just cut a tree down to triple our capacity for next season (just came in from planting jalapenos, banana peppers, poblanos, and habaneros). Inside ledges or not, I shudder to think if one took a spill. How we plan to do this? A small scale mobile square foot garden. The one foot square raised bed will have handles on the sides, and can be lifted into the truck bed. Unfortunately, lettuce, tomatoes, and most other veggies wouldn't be a good transport (could you imagine a 6 foot tomato plant in a truck bed swaying as we towed down the road?).

Steve