Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Arlington , Texas
Hot water heater

Im thinking about putting an electric hot water heater 1 I dont have to run the gas lines all the way to the back of the Rv and also we will be at parks most of the time so we will have electricity so I wont have to run and get propane to take a shower. What is the best kind. I think I want gas for the kitchen
airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The recovery time for an electric water heater on 120VAC is going to be hours... Old fashioned propane will take about 30 minutes. Since you only have 6-10 gallons of hot water (depending on model) you may have quite a wait if you don’t have first “dibs” on the shower or you just finished doing the dishes.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Hot water heater

Atwood 6 gallon model 90071 XT gas/electric. Just don’t hookup the gas line. Draws about 12 amps AC when heating by electricity. Recovery time is fine (~20-30 min), not much slower than LP. I use it in electric mode all the time when at campgrounds to save on LP. No problem.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

. . . especially in the heat of summer, when "warm" showers are often preferable, an Atwood on electric is fine IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Water Heater Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by airking View Post
Im thinking about putting an electric hot water heater 1 I dont have to run the gas lines all the way to the back of the Rv and also we will be at parks most of the time so we will have electricity so I wont have to run and get propane to take a shower. What is the best kind. I think I want gas for the kitchen
Atwood 6 Gallon Gas / Electric Water Heater. Model #GC6AA-10E

6 Gallon Capacity
Direct Spark Ignition
Input 8,800 BTU or 1400 watt
Recovery Rate of 11.6 Gal/Hr on LP / 6.2 Gal/Hr on Electric / 17.8 Gal/Hr on Combo

It sounds like you are renovating and have to run all new lines for your propane. They are not hard to do. A tubing cutter and a flare tool, coil of copper line, line clamps some fittings, flexible rubber line to appliances. It would not be a bad idea to run the line to the "water heater" anyway. You don't have to use the propane if you don't want to. But, you might like to have the option. It will definitely add to the resale value of the trailer. My $.02

I went a different route. Precision Temp, Twin Temp JR. Heats the trailer and instant and continuous hot water (same footprint size as a 6 gal water heater) It also has an AC option but in reality needs propane to work well.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
Atwood 6 Gallon Gas / Electric Water Heater. Model #GC6AA-10E

6 Gallon Capacity
Direct Spark Ignition
Input 8,800 BTU or 1400 watt
Recovery Rate of 11.6 Gal/Hr on LP / 6.2 Gal/Hr on Electric / 17.8 Gal/Hr on Combo

It sounds like you are renovating and have to run all new lines for your propane. They are not hard to do. A tubing cutter and a flare tool, coil of copper line, line clamps some fittings, flexible rubber line to appliances. It would not be a bad idea to run the line to the "water heater" anyway. You don't have to use the propane if you don't want to. But, you might like to have the option. It will definitely add to the resale value of the trailer. My $.02

I went a different route. Precision Temp, Twin Temp JR. Heats the trailer and instant and continuous hot water (same footprint size as a 6 gal water heater) It also has an AC option but in reality needs propane to work well.

-Dennis
Thanks a lot how much are those and where can I find them
airking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
$750 bucks or so google the part number can buy them at many places
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote