Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

1961 24' Tradewind
Poway , California
Holes in the floor

Hi there,

I have a 1961 Tradewind. I've gutted the interior, and I'm planning to put a 1/4" layer of plywood on top of the existing plywood. The existing plywood is in relatively good condition (not so bad that I want to separate the shell from the floor). However, there are three holes near interior walls. See pictures below. These holes are located under where the fridge will be and under cabinets - meaning that no one will be standing on it. Should I repair the holes first before I put the 1/4" plywood on. If so, do I need to make sure that the edge of the plywood patch is under the interior wall? Of course, I will make sure each edge is above the beams underneath. If I need to make sure it's completely under the interior wall, how do I do that and how do I secure it?

Thanks for your help!

A complete Newbie!!!

Wayne C
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	93351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	731.6 KB
ID:	93352  

wayneacp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Wayne,
What does the frame look like? Has the water intrusion that rotted the plywood rusted the frame out from what you can see?

If not, I would just square up the holes back to good plywood and patch in those areas since they are so small.

Keep in mind that if you add quarter inch plywood and are planning on reinstalling some or all of your original interior, that little bit of height will throw things off. Not much but maybe enough to cause trouble. Why is it necessary to add the 1/4" plywood?
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
The Polishing Guru
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Riverside , California
Speaking from a professional stand point. Old damaged wood should be totally replaced by new wood to prevent any more rott, and damages, it should be replaced from the main exterior wall into the center of the main part of the frame, and to each adjoining outrigger, that way the new plywood can be screwed down to the frame to give it structural strength because of the refrigerator. If you do this this is not necessary to use 1/4 inch plywood on any of the floor, because you have your structual strength back. Good luck

Tags
floor, hole, patch