Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Help me screw this up..... Spice Rack

I bought my wife a Spice Rack for Mothers Day. Just great, now she expects me to install it too....typical woman. ;>)

This rack came from Airstream. I don't know why our trailer didn't already have one, as they seem to be standard in the Classic Limited units I've seen in photo's.

Oh well, what's another $56 bucks...grrrrr

Okay, I do not want to mess this up. It's apparent that screws (not provided) are commonly used to mount these racks on the bare aluminum wall behind the stovetop.

If this were in my house, I'd be trying to locate a stud to screw to, but I have no idea as to whether or not I need to, or where they might be. I do know that they are aluminum.

The 4 mounting holes are pre-drilled and countersunk leaving 1/8" of wood for the screw head to rest on. The screw would need to be long enough to travel through about 1/8" of wood. I have no idea as to what a safe length should be into the aluminum.

LOL... This is going to be tough for me to actually drill holes in my new trailer. I already wish I had bought her a cheap gas station coffee cup. ;>)

ANY advice will be appreciated.

Dan
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
That is very funny and I have almost the identical experience and trepidation. I'm not sure what a Classic layout looks like, but I have a Flying Cloud. I didn't dare mount to the exterior wall and I don't think mounting behind the stove would be a good spot anyway. You would have to reach over the cooking surface to access the spices. I mounted ours to the interior pantry wall to the left of the stove. I think your galley set up is similar to mine. Good luck with that and I'm sure you will get advice from more knowledgeable and experienced members than I.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
hhendrix,

Thanks. It will likely take me a week just to work up the nerve to drill the first hole. LOL
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
_

. , .
here's an old thread with some pix of my galley zone...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ted-20687.html

ZOOM the 3rd pic in post #2 and the spice rack can be seen installed behind the range top.

since it's NOT heavy and hard to OVER load i think it's just screwed right into the inner skin...

without regard for the ribs.

i also don't think any holes where drilled as the screws are standard a/s metal/wood screws...

((look around at ANY of the interior trim installed with screws, metal OR wood trim the screws are ALL the same))

((a/s uses THESE for just about everything in different lengths and painted tan/white with PHILLIPS heads))

one could also use AUTOMOTIVE grade double stick exterior TRIM tape (3m) and that should hold nicely for years...

ribs are WHEREever vertical rivet lines are on the outside and pretty easy to locate.

there is also a FLAT bottom/counter top version of the spice rack (with tambour door) which can be seen in post # 14 (link above)

this is a more substantial rack that's deeper, heavier and holds more. (and is still available in the a/s parts store)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Smile Spice Rack Relocation

I found the standard placement of the spice rack above the stove not optimal for the spices due to heat buildup.

I actually had my spice rack relocated to the side of the cabinet where the micro/conv. oven located. It required removing the end pieces of the spice rack to enable shortening then reapplying the ends.

'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:20 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I have an 06 Bambi and got my spice rack from Ikea. I liked it so much I bought 2 for the house (mounted inside the cabinet) it works great! Not sure the size of yours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kitchen1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	102493  
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
hhendrix,

Thanks. It will likely take me a week just to work up the nerve to drill the first hole. LOL
It's called ALUMAPHOBIA. I have it too. I'm not sure if there is a cure.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I feel for you, remembering the trepidation of drilling the first screw when I reattached the drooping ceiling of our '95 Classic Limited. Scary, sure I'd drill through to the outside...but it didn't happen, and after a couple of those drillings, I was drilling like a maniac, more concerned about working out my quilting pattern on the ceiling than punching through. Grit your teeth and say, "I can DO it!" ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I agree, having the spice rack behind the burners is bad. The spices will degrade faster from too much heat, if you have a burner cover when it's up you can't reach most of your spices (and that's when you'll need them), and you might burn yourself by setting your clothing on fire reaching over the burners to get something on a low rack.

Put them up on the side wall, or even on the inside of a lower cupboard door if you've got one that's big enough. Your spices will thank you.

Paula