Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
heat for black tank & holes in floor

I thought I read that there was heat going to the black tank on a 1975 Tradewind, I don't see it, am I missing something?

Also anyone know what the hole is for that's been plugged by the furnace and the one in the rear next to the shower (between shower and two elevator bolts)? It does not show well in the picture but that's a drilled hole and it appears to have been there a long time

Your help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace duct.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	73546   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole 1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	73547  

Name:	hole 2.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	73548  
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
With the black water tank on our trailers (I have a '75 Safari) are above the floor, I think they just intended the heat from the trailer interior to do the job. If the black water tank was under the floor as in other models, it would have a heat duct.

The hole in floor near where your water heater would be could have been for circulating heat to the fresh water tank.

I'm not sure which hole you mean on the other photo. The small one, or the larger one that has been filled with spray insulation?

I noticed in your other photos posted about the bath fan that the rear floor of your trailer's probably been partially replaced. Also the power cord looked as if it had been replaced, too. That smaller hole may have been for that??? Beyond that, I'm out of ideas.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My 77 has a hole in the floor under the furnace plenum which heats the tanks. You would have to take the furnace out to see it. You have some kind of a box (maybe and after market converter) mounted behind the furnace that you would have to move to take the cover off the furnace to see it the other way. This may not be the original furnace. Some units may have a secondary fan to pull air through the floor and exhaust it into the bathroom area. My 77 does not have one but there is good air flow under the sink to keep the pipes warm and exhaust into the bathroom. My wife finds the drafts from the rear bath cool and always wants to block them off but that would stop the furnace from keeping the tanks warm.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Your furnace has been replaced and the some of the ducting is missing. The hole next to the furnace had a hose that was attached to the missing duct to heat the water tank. Towards the rear of the wheel well there should be a hose that comes off the bottom of the duct through the floor to heat the grey water tank. The black tank is above the floor. The black PVC pipe that goes through the floor in front of the shower is the only thing going into that hole and may have been sealed to prevent drafts or maybe to repair some rot. I also see that the water heater has been removed and it looks like the copper gas line to the water heater has been cut.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
More photo's

Thanks everyone for the information.

DPeakMD, yes some of the rear floor under the the bath counter has been replaced and is appears I may have the sagging tail syndrome, I am investigating that now.

azflycaster, I replaced the furnace last week, you can see the thread here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...4sp-47264.html the piece of duct work that is missing was replaced by the PO with some flashing, I'll have to fabricate some new duct with a hose running to the fresh water tank for heat.

I did figure out where the ducting is to the grey tank, see photo.

Also here is a close up photo of the hole I am wondering about that is by the shower pan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hole 3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	73583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray tank heat.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	73584  

bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote