Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2008, 01:05 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
I have a "to scale" drawing, but it's on graph paper, and is 1 square = 3 in. aka, 3 pages, I'd like to scan it in and get some opinions, but I have to find the time to get to the office. We've also been re-thinking our plan, the wheel wells, of course, get in the way of our shower. so we might just put the bath in the back, where it originally was. We have also been trying to figure out the best way to make some sort of pocket door, as thin as possible but not too flimsy, we just want to avoid an accordian door basically. and yes my two main reasons for the bath not being in the back are; at night people don't walk past us sleeping and I feel people would rather not walk through the bedroom period. Although we will be alone (with the exceptions of our 2 dogs) most of the time, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Also, we're almost positive we're moving the kitchen to the very front, simply because every rv/camper etc I've been in it's in the living room area and I'm not too fond of that, unless someone has a reason not to do that.

One more thing, Airianna (our AS) doesnt have a gray tank, or at least i think that's the one, where do I get one and about what do they cost??
Kristara7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristara7
I have a "to scale" drawing, but it's on graph paper, and is 1 square = 3 in. aka, 3 pages, I'd like to scan it in and get some opinions, but I have to find the time to get to the office. We've also been re-thinking our plan, the wheel wells, of course, get in the way of our shower. so we might just put the bath in the back, where it originally was. We have also been trying to figure out the best way to make some sort of pocket door, as thin as possible but not too flimsy, we just want to avoid an accordian door basically. and yes my two main reasons for the bath not being in the back are; at night people don't walk past us sleeping and I feel people would rather not walk through the bedroom period. Although we will be alone (with the exceptions of our 2 dogs) most of the time, so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

Also, we're almost positive we're moving the kitchen to the very front, simply because every rv/camper etc I've been in it's in the living room area and I'm not too fond of that, unless someone has a reason not to do that.

One more thing, Airianna (our AS) doesnt have a gray tank, or at least i think that's the one, where do I get one and about what do they cost??
The wheel wells can definitely be in the way, but I've seen several side-bath models that used the wheel well as part of a molded shower seat-- and if you've followed the trends in new construction of homes, these shower seats are becoming very popular, especially as a feature for folks who are planning for the days when they grow a bit older. So I wouldn't rule out the side bath for that reason, it just takes some careful planning.

For information on constructing a pocket door, you should check out Sergei's Argosy "contemporization" thread. He fabricated an entirely new one, and that thread has a lot of other great ideas in it, especially for someone starting from scratch. This lnks to page 10 of Sergei's thread where he discusses the pocket door toward the bottom, but you should take some time to look through the rest of it someday:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-10.html

Good luck!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
that's funny, i kept saying the same thing to my b/f about building the seat to kind of conform to the wheel well, I wanted one so i could shave my legs easier though, since we will be doing a lot of beach side camping. The other problem with doing that is the bedroom will be very small, like open the BR door and all four sides of the bed against a wall, unless we use a twin.
OK, I give, I have to scan in my drawing later today, lol, get opinions on that.

-Tara
Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
check out this link; it'll answer many many questions, providing you have a year and a half to sit and read it all;

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some floor plan ideas...

Our side bath had a tub/shower that had a seat that fit over the wheel well. There are a number of such tubs available. If you do an internet search for "RV tub" you can find more but check out this one for starters. It shows photos of some of the modles that are available. You might have to ask the vendor which ones have enough clearance under the seat for the wheel well.

Dyer's RV Suppllies - RV Supplies, RV Parts, and RV Accessories - Shower & Bath Tubs

For a rear bedroom it does take more floor space to provide clearance around the bed for walk around room. On the other hand it is possible to do a wall to wall bed if you don't mind that it would be harder to make the bed since you would have to crawl on top of it to tuck the sheets and etc. in. You could also use some sort of sleeping bag.

Some floorplans that I have seen put both the bed and the bath in the back side by side. You have to crawl into the bed but it is more from the front end rather than from the side. It is also possible, by the way, to get mattresses that are built to fit the curve of an Airstream end or corner if you want to put the bed in the end. You could for example put the bed sideways at the very back end and maybe still be able to provide enough of an aisle in front of the bed to make it easier to make and to get in and out. You would have to have a mattress that fit the back curve on one side. Whether or not that would work well for you would depend a bit on how tall you are. Sleeping in the curve would be slightly restricted on space.

Another alternative that can buy you some space for a back bedroom is to orient the bath across the from side to side rather than just putting it on one side. This would mean that you would have to go through the bath to get to the bedroom but it could also mean that the bath takes up less space from front to back. There are new RV's that use this sort of approach so why not an airstream? One layout that I have at least thought about was to put the shower in the middle of a cross-wise bathroom and either make the bathroom a wet bath or have a wrap around shower curtain. You would be standing in the middle of the shower pan when you walk through the bath but you could have a removable floor panel of some sort if that was an issue. At least you would not be entirely wasting aisle space.

Malcolm
Old 05-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #26
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Hi Tara,

Malcolm's idea of a split bathroom is exactly what our 25FB came with. It does not feel like we are walking through the bathroom at all to get to the front bedroom. On one side of the hall is the shower (with the seat you mention) and across from it is the toilet and sink in its own room. We can pull an accordian "door" closed between the split bath and the bedroom or the other one between the split bath and the rest of the unit, which gives us lots of room to get ready and privacy for whoever is showering. I like the split design because both sides can be used at the same time.

I just wish it had pocket doors instead of the accordian "doors".

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:44 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
We went to lowes today, and yesterday, about fifty times. It was horible we ended up getting some thin boards to make the walls, which will have pocket doors. 2 sheets of plywood to fill in an area that did not have it and laminate floor. If anyone else has had the laminate wood floors please let me know if the AS will flex too much.
Just to let you know, I have no idea about remodeling rv's at all lol, I've done many houses but no AS. I've always wanted one to re-do the way I want and I got my b/f to fall in love with them also, so I came home from work last week and Airianna was sitting in the yard, yay! But I'm really thinking it's going to be a very rewarding pain in the butt so if I sound ignorant or unknowing about something, I really have no idea.

The stage we're at now, it's empty, the fridge is still in there but not hooked up or held down, we just need to bring it in the garage. We plan on pulling an all nighter tonight, getting the walls cleaned and temp. painted, cutting all the boards for the walls etc. and getting the floor ready to lay laminate tomorrow. hopefully.

I'm getting really frustrated with the floorplan though, I cant seem to design something i'm satisfied with. I've got everything but im having a problem with having a twin bed, I'd like a full. So far i've got the split bathroom thing going on, as a seperate room right before the bedroom. My only problem is the windows, since ours originally had the 2 twins in the middle in the hall, it seems no matter what I come up with at least one window falls where a wall needs to be, we might cover one or two up but are trying to avoid doing so. I'm a pefectionist, and I hate things to not be 100% of possibilities, I hate to use space unwisely and I feel that the floor plans I'm designing are doing that. I'll try to sketch something up on the comp real quick to give you an idea of what im thinking til I scan in the actual drawing
Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
okay, plans changed...
we now have most of the floor ripped out. We're replacing them all.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:34 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
well to clarify more, we ripped out the top layer, it started by ripping out the 2" build up in the back and when we did, we found our back yard! The original floor in the bathroom was completely rotted out so we decided to go ahead and replace all the flooring, any suggestions on the easiest way to remove the original? Also, is there suppose to be some sort of under belly in the back? It's 2:30 am now, I'm going to try to whip up some type of quick sketch of a possible floorplan on the comp so you can see, anything problems, inconveniences, waste o space, or anything else wrong please let me know, I always welcome constructive criticism!
Thank!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:44 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
This is what i've got for basics, it was done on the paint program thing and isn't to scale obviously, but just for an idea I think it should be sufficient for now, I'll try to get around to scanning soon, I need to pick one plan before though.

This is what I'm attempting to squeeze around the windows and wheel wells.

most recent progress-

BEFORE:

AFTER:

YIKES!!:

"WTF is this" pctures

This is placed right in front of the original sink, it's about 6" deep x 6" across. It's a sealed pvc pipe thing, all we could figure was some sort of "secret compartment" type deal. IDK?

This I guess would have been just on the outside of the bath room wall, a little to the "drivers side" it kind of looks like the duct for air vents on the floor in a mobile home. IDK?

This is sort of the same, I think, kinda like floor vent duct things but it's basically across from the door, once again, IDK

anyway, Thanks in advance for any questions answered or suggestions made.

-Tara
Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
well to clarify more, we ripped out the top layer, it started by ripping out the 2" build up in the back and when we did, we found our back yard! The original floor in the bathroom was completely rotted out so we decided to go ahead and replace all the flooring, any suggestions on the easiest way to remove the original? Also, is there suppose to be some sort of under belly in the back? It's 2:30 am now, I'm going to try to whip up some type of quick sketch of a possible floorplan on the comp so you can see, anything problems, inconveniences, waste o space, or anything else wrong please let me know, I always welcome constructive criticism!
Thank!
If you are talking about replacing all the plywood subfloor then you might want to check out the following thread and especially my post #3 where I provide a pointer to more details.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...off-28824.html

You are also going to want to check out and repair your frame if needed while you are at it. There are lots of threads discussing both subjects here in the Forums. Try using the search for things like "frame repair" or "floor repair".

Malcolm
Old 05-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
One way to play with the floor plan is to use some colored masking tape on the floor - and maybe walls too. Maybe even uses some cardboard as temp walls to get the feel for the size of things.

In my unit the orignal step shower/tub was oriented with the long direction cross-wise and the step over the wheel well. If you have enough space front to back you might be able to slide your shower to the outside edge of your wall and let the step sit above the end of the wheel well. Otherwise it might take less space overall if you do orient it cross-wise and let the step be over part of the wheel well.

If you don't mind the idea of having the shower in the middle you might be able to use a normal residential shower pan of about 36" x 60" to fit almost wall to wall between your wheel wells and flat on the floor. You could make a base for the toilet that was at the height of the shower pan curb and the base of the vanity could be on the oposite wall above the other end of the pan. If at least the toilet end of the bath was a wet bath you could use the toilet itself as a bench. The overall shower would be much larger.

Malcolm
Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
I think we have to put Airianna on the back burner for a couple weeks, we have to remodel the master bath/closet in the house and aparently we're starting another buisness, but at least that'll give me more time to figure out the floor plan and get a black tank
-Tara
Old 05-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For whenever you get started again, the ducts are for the forced-air furnace, the black tank sat on the floor, and I paid $800 for a virtually identical fridge.
So, you bought a fridge, and got a free trailer to haul it around.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
well, the guy had been using it as a "mobile bait and tackle" shop lol. It was strange, to say the least,but I put up a few pics. the floor seems to be great, except by the door which we will re-do and the a/c works, thats all the biggies I know to look for. We plan to do all the work ourself, it's going to be our project. One major question though, it has 12v and 210 wiring, which is better? or does there need to be a little of both? As of right now, we have taken everything out but the fridge, part of the tub frame and front area where theres a radio.

I think if you click on the picture it opens the slideshow

Wow, have you EVER got a job ahead of you there. But man, will it ever be rewarding when you get it done!

And hey, thanks for showing me another way Photobucket can be used. Never knew a slideshow could be so easy to email!

cheers,
Aage
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
dade city , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
Wow, have you EVER got a job ahead of you there. But man, will it ever be rewarding when you get it done!

And hey, thanks for showing me another way Photobucket can be used. Never knew a slideshow could be so easy to email!

cheers,
Aage
Yea, we didnt think it was going to need new floors, plumbing and electric but at least we did basically get it free, we definately have a project ahead but it will definately be worth it in the end. We now have half the original floor tore out and that was easier than we thought it'd be.

And, of course, no prob on the photobucket thing, lol