Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Gas lantern in '67 Safari - need info

We purchased our '67 Safari just this past June. The PO gave us the remanants of a gas lantern that they said had been installed near the dinette. Apparently it was removed some time ago and the original mounting holes were filled in. It's mostly in good shape, missing the globe and some other stuff. I would love to restore it and reinstall, but I need some help determining what is missing. Does anyone have a picture of one that is still intact that they can share with me?

We have little kids, so I'm open to the idea of converting it to electric or battery power. Has anyone ever attempted this before?

Thanks for the help,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Safari lantern (Small).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	24317   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Safari lantern - backside (Small).JPG
Views:	181
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	24318  

Name:	67 Safari lantern - underside (Small).JPG
Views:	204
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	24319   Click image for larger version

Name:	old lantern home (Small).JPG
Views:	192
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	24320  

Old 08-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
meredith

these folks may be able to help http://www.gas-lights.com/paulin.html

if it were me i would leave it set up for gas and tell the little ones not to touch it!

john
Old 08-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Try looking on Ebay for starters. That'll give you an idea of what one looks like. The globes of that style are not available anymore unless you can find a used one someplace. Paulin does make a replacement model. Here is another site that might be helpful, Gas Light dot Com. They are very simple devices and even old ones can be restored with relative ease. Finding a globe I think may be the hardest part.

As a kid I remember my parents having these in our old Aladdin trailer. They were up too high for me to reach. I don't remember ever getting burned by one either. I am not sure what exactly your concern is with kids around, however.

I like having a gas light in the trailer. For one it uses no battery power, it uses very little propane, it also is a heat source when its cold out. (one of the reasons I rarely use it in the summer). They do produce some heat out the top but not enough to burn the skin/wall if mounted correctly.

They can be a hazard when improperly used, such as not turning it on all the way or using it with out the globe or with a broken mantle or both.

I guess what I am saying about their being safe is, common sense goes a long way. They are very safe when used properly.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Gas light

The mantle, a small sock looking piece of fiberglass like material, and the globe, clear glass. Both are available from most RV parts suppliers if they care to look for it.

ZoomZoom
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi airdrmr--ZoomZoom is right about what you need. You might also be able to find the parts you need at a camping supply store (mine looks like Coleman gas lantern components). It is mounted high enough that small children getting into it should not be a problem. It is great light when boondocking, and will take the chill off the trailer when it is a little cool, but really not cold enough to turn on the furnace.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hey Mer ,

I can see if Adams has the globe on monday ,I have to see if Jim has
a fischer LP regulator ,and I am picking up some trailer connector pin/socket
cleaning brushes .He probably has one like it .Ill let you know.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Another way to do it

I have a plant-container hook over the dinette in my Ambassador which I use to hang a Coleman lantern. I attach it with a length of chain to raise or lower it. It provides plenty of light and a good deal of heat, so I like to use it on cool days where it supplements the heat of my Olympian Wave 3 catalytic heater. The propane versions of these are good too, but I already have the white-gas variety and I'm cheap.

The only problem is cracking your head against it when you're fooling around on that side of the trailer.
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Gilroy , California
Lantern Picture!

Here's a quick snapshot of identical lantern which is temorarily removed from our '69 Globetrotter during refurb. Glass globe is labeled "Pyrex" and "Humphrey" whick I assume to be the manufacturer. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lamp.gif
Views:	136
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	24371  
dickwhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
thanks for the picture!

DickWhite1 -
Thanks for the photo. I appreciate it very much. It's great to see one put together...the globe is not at all what I thought it would look like!

I'm glad everyone has mentioned the heat factor of the gas lantern. That is something I had not considered. I think we'll just put it back together and get the gas hooked up again.

Scott, thanks for checking on the parts at Adams! I'm sure I can find them on one of the internet sites if they don't have them in stock. By the way, we took the day off from polishing today. So far we've logged about 20 hours of stripping and F7 polishing, and have maybe finished 1/8th of the trailer....still a loooooong way to go before the NorCal rally!
Old 08-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
The regular ol' Coleman mantles work just fine on my Veritas lantern and in 5 years have only needed to replace it once because of turning to powder on a rough road. We use ours all the time in the cooler mountains in the morning while coffee is brewing and in the evening while making dinner. Saves on the trailer battery too.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello ,
The po of our 60 trdwnd had packs of coleman mantles in the older brown wax wrappers along with alot of other neat stuff .They are in excellent shape and really made well . I lit it once with a newer mantle (lamp) works good .i kinda like those old packages as the box was almost as important as the part
inside .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote