Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Front Travel lounge Assembly

Front Travel lounge Assembly
I am in the process of getting my 1974, 31ft, center bath Sovereign ready to hit the road.
I have attached a picture of the front couch with everything removed but the frame. Obviously there is something missing to provide support for the back, when used as a couch. The front of the aluminum frame is screwed to the 2 uprights that you can see but it binds on the interior of the shell at both sides, so probably needs to be spaced further back to prevent this.
Anybody have a picture of the proper way that this should look underneath the cushions and firply that they could let me have so that I can see what is missing and try to fabricate something from? (a picture being worth a thousand words!).
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front assy2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2366  
gvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Sorry, I don't have a picture. But I can tell you that my front lounge doesn't have any support behind the coushion. On my unit, both the bottom and top coushion are covered together. There is a piece of plywood that is underneath the fabric. You can't see it, but you can feel it. There is also another small bolster that is curved to fit the front of the trailer. When the couch is up, it helps support the back; when the counch is pulled out into the bed position, it fills the gap left by the coushion.

Sorry about all my spelling mistakes. I hope this helps a little.

Patrick
PatCrusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Same solution 10 years apart...

Our '64 Gaucho is very similar...except all wood. The back is supported with a 1/4" piece of plywood between the upholstery and the foam...it's inside the back. The seat & back are hinged and there is a "filler" cushion that helps support the back in the seated position. It too has a thin sheet of plywood on the bottom. Pretty simple actually...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
No, that is the way it is supposed to be. The "back" portion of the mattress has plywood sewn into it which gives you a rigid back. There is also the contoured plywood stiffened cushion which goes into the cavity first which gives the bottom of the back a place to set against, just like previously mentioned.

I guess you know you are missing the bins and the bin support surfaces and dividers?

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:58 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Howell , Michigan
Patrick, Shari & Chas,
Thanks for your answers!
The parts list for this is showing a frame with a spring bracket assembly and I thought that this was what was missing.
It is actually showing the frame that I showed in the picture, I just looked at it wrong! I don't see any spring brackets on my frame, but it probably doesn't matter.
I will go with the plywood.
Chas - yes, I am aware that the bins and frame are missing. I chose not to put the bin holder back as it was ripped out by the PO during installation of the carpet. The result is too many sharp edges! I will replace this when I have more time - my trip starts in 8 days.
Thanks again!
gvanman is offline   Reply With Quote