Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2002, 09:00 PM   #1

Front Goucho-Bed

I am interested in increasing the functional bed size in the front of my 65 Overlander. The twin size is way too small. I would like to increase it to a queen size or beter, yet leave the integrety of the original bed, I have thought of replacing the cushions with a futon mattress and purchacing a 30" futon chair that will match up to the full size futon mattress. My wife thinks I am full of mush and wants me to remove the drawers and put a regular pull out queen size sofabed frame in place of the drawers. Any suggestions?
JIMANDHELENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Make Mama happy!! That's the only way to go, unless you like to travel alone. Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 09:44 PM   #3

1995 34' Excella
1969 21' Globetrotter
Steamboat, CO. Copperhill, Tn
Jim,

I have done the Futon thing. When I bought my trailer the front bunk was removed and replaced with a non-functional shelf. I removed the shelf and moved in my Futon. It is a very functional sofa/bed. Check out Dave and Karla's web page (I don't know the link) but you can get to it by airstreamtrailers.com. They now make futon mattresses with quality coils springs inside. Extra Comfort.... Good Luck!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:28 AM   #4

Of course, I wish to make Mamma Happy, but is it do-able, both make her happy and fitting a sofabed mechanism in the space, if once there will it stay?? She is hard to please. Do Hubbies ever do it right?????
Old 05-01-2002, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jim. Only on payday nights.Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2002, 11:31 PM   #6

Well now....After all of us agreeing that Mamma is always right....Reality sets in. The queen sofa bed inner-works are 90" for clearance,so that option won't work as I see it. A new plan is to extend the glides so the sofa extends further out aprox 60" ( extra support may be needed on the end ) and getting a Queen size innerspring futon mattress. Has anyone had success with this plan? I am trying to come to a compromise with the boss lady so we can share the new bed.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Have you seen the flex steel rv sofa- beds? They run as small as 72" wide., and I believe they offer 80" as well.
Check out their web site, or camping world who carry that line.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 12:30 AM   #8

Hey, Nice suggestion. The Majic Bed by Flexsteel has my intrest. It is 74" wide and 33' deep as a sofa, 51 1/2' deep when made into a bed. I think I could pull it away from the front of the trailer when making the bed to add more inches and add a foam pad over the watertank and add a stretcher piece of wood in front to make it a full 74' x 80" ( then cover the entire foam/mattress with a pillowtop matress pad) making a nice size bed. Think it will work????
Old 05-18-2002, 01:10 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I was looking for a couch replacement for the front of our TT. The couch that Camping World had at that time wasn't high enough to clear the cover over the Univolt. It would have stuck out in the room too far. We ended up having the couch reuphoistered & new foam put in. It didn't help much. Its still very uncomfortable if you set on it very long. I've seen some people who replace the couch with recliners, which I don't want.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote