Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
Dust Off

My son and I are back at work on the Overlander AKA: "Dusty Rhodes" after a prolonged Holiday leave/project and the death of my mother. It is good to be back at work but my trepidation has increased logarithmically when realizing that I have only 6 weeks left here in Huntsville before I have to make a move when I am released from Active Duty.

Economy of time has become essential in my project and I thought that perhaps I would implore all of you to lend a desperate restorer your priceless knowledge and experience. I have therefor posted a nondescript thread to document our progess and ask specific questions when using the search function has left me with additional questions.

1. Is jacking up the whole shell the only way to change out the flooring? Should my decision to do that be based on the condition of my frame?

2.We have removed the plastic endcaps and plan to replace them with aluminum - pseudo CCD decor. If we do need to take the shell off, will those need to be replaced first for structural integrity?

3. How do we remove the 2 strips running parallel down the center of the Overlander? Do we bang it into submission, or do we need to remove the interior skins to loosen that as using a rubber mallet and plastic putty knife only succeeded in breaking the putty knife?

My first plan was calmly reading the forum, my second plan was PANIC, my final and best is trust in Airstreamers.

Ankornuta thanks for pioneering the way!

Thanks,
Jennifer
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrhodes
1. Is jacking up the whole shell the only way to change out the flooring? Should my decision to do that be based on the condition of my frame?
My first plan was calmly reading the forum, my second plan was PANIC, my final and best is trust in Airstreamers.

Ankornuta thanks for pioneering the way!

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer,

The floor can be replaced without removing the shell. That is what we are doing with our 1954 Liner, however the floor cannot go in in whole pieces from side to side, it must be split down the center. If you want to see some pictures of this method, look at RJ Dial's site Vintageairstream.com and his 1957 Flying Cloud restoration.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
uno mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Jennifer,

The floor can be replaced without removing the shell. That is what we are doing with our 1954 Liner, however the floor cannot go in in whole pieces from side to side, it must be split down the center. If you want to see some pictures of this method, look at RJ Dial's site Vintageairstream.com and his 1957 Flying Cloud restoration.

Bill
I contemplated this idea and asked my rather, brilliant son. He wanted me to ask whether this would significantly weaken the structure or if this is okay?
(Written by my son, who is a doofus).
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrhodes
I contemplated this idea and asked my rather, brilliant son. He wanted me to ask whether this would significantly weaken the structure or if this is okay?
(Written by my son, who is a doofus).
Jennifer,

If you do the replacement properly, with all of the bolts and screws securing the floor to the frame and the shell to the c-channel and to the floor, I don't know how this could weaken the structure.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote