Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
"Dim" fluorescent light in bathroom and etc.

The bathroom in our tt has two fluorescent lights--each with two tubes. The left one, when you face the mirror has gotten dim. What do I need to buy? tubes? starter? (I don't know what a starter is except in a track meet)

The strange thing is a few weeks ago the right one was dim....then it brightened up and now the left one seems to be suffering from low voltage or something????

AND, if you connect a dish to your tt and have the "loop" under the credenza and you understand page G33 in the manual , I need help.

Can you tell me cord connection by cord connection what I need to do to get reception, please.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
The bathroom in our tt has two fluorescent lights--each with two tubes. The left one, when you face the mirror has gotten dim. What do I need to buy? tubes? starter? (I don't know what a starter is except in a track meet)
Kistler, the starter is a capacitor which delivers a very high voltage to start the light. Once the light is on, the starter could be removed, and the light would stay on. (Just like a car starter). Thus your problem is likely to be low voltage, and is nothing to do with the starter. I have this problem in my sailing yacht each spring, after the yacht has been stored for the winter. I need to leave the lights on for a while before they gain full power on the first time I use them. There may be some damp over the winter. If leaving them on for half an hour doesn't fix them, I would check the trailer battery voltage at the battery, with all circuits off, with a (digital) voltmeter. 12.6 volts would be OK for a charged battery. If the battery is low, you need to fix that. If the battery is ok, you need to measure the voltage at the lights (tubes removed). Look for at least 12 volts. With that circuits breaker off, try rubbing the contacts, and those on the tube, with some steel wool. You could also smear the contacts with a little dielectric grease (From Radioshack, amongst others) Replace the tube, turn on the breaker and the light, and see if there is an improvement. Good luck! Nick.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you for the info/advice....I'll borrow my wife's emery board and we shall start there

Now, do you do satellite dish wiring?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 10-24-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Now, do you do satellite dish wiring?
Kistler, sorry, no. To me, satellite only means what I accidentally did to the long dry grass at the top of our yard in the summer of 1954, as a 7 year old boy. Some things you never forget! Nick.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Isn't English fun took me a while to translate satellite into sat a lite...

Am getting older here...

Language is really difficult when you get the words mixed up.....I will never forget "Como un arbol"....thought it meant I eat a tree. As was opposed to "como un arbol" which means like a tree.... I am getting too old for our language.

Kistler