Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2002, 08:29 PM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Description of Remodeling Interior

to John--"83 Excella/Moderator"...
and for anyone else who wants to read about the extensive remodeling/redecorating I've been doing for 3 years to "Bear" .. my 1981 Excella.
I tool this from an email I sent to someone else who asked just yesterday.
I hope it's ok.

Here's my rig's description:

It is a 1981 - 32 foot Excella, twin axle, with a side-bath, full galley, rear bedroom, AC, and other aminities. It is in very good condition, is being completely redecorated in a 'retro' decor...(not quite completed actually...the shower is still in progress (ceramic tile edging w/ SOLID vinyl 'wallpaper' which appears like broken mosaic tile chips), sealants etc.). I am planning on coming down to California on August 12th---but sans the Airstream (I have planned on leaving it back here in Washington) for now.

The redecorating/remodeling has been done with only the highest quality items. (A "Bar" sink faucet, the "NuTone" insink blender motor has been rebuilt and reconditioned...they said it didn't need it...I said,,,"do it anyway...they are irreplaceable!"; the upholstery is all genuine "Naugahyde" (yellow & black), the refrig has think STEEL panels enameled in a turck paint turquoise, a swivel chair in Black with Auqa cording, new cardtable in Teak, all edging in 1-1/4" Aluminum "Chrome" 1940 "T-Trim", the formica is confetti in the galley (galley top replaced with 1" thick marine plywood), and Burgandy in the salon. The carpet in the Salon is also Burgandy ("Merlot"), the galley floor is "CheckerFlag" vinyl in 10" squares...the hall and 'head' are in sage green carpets, and the bedroom in a commercial grade which is being covered with "Faux" MINK FUR! The 'bath' vanity/toilet area is 'wallpapered' in a solid vinyl 'cloth-backed'; as is the shower...in a Mosaic tile "chip" Solid "Cloth-backed" VINYL...Very heavy..and triple sealed.

The rear bedroom has torn (& burned edged) taupe colored silk pieces glued to the walls, chocolate vinyl screen roll-down blinds (awesome!), with beaded cording. Besides the 'mink' rug, the dresser has been custom cut with a sit-down vanity, leaving 1/2 original drawers and doors. It's redone (as is the overhead cupboard above the rear-window) in black Lacquer. With antique trimming...and Cloissoine cabinet handles of stars & 1/2 moons; the ceiling panel is in midnight blue with glow-in-the-dark constillation...and the "square" light has a lace cover with stars that glow as well. a 4 foot branch of "Twisted Willow" is attached to one wall with bird houses and birds.

The inside of the door is even painted with a mural of a tropical scene.

It's very fanciful and whimsical...but even guys who see it are mesmerized!

All blinds are new and Basswood in the Salon, Brushed Aluminum "Micro" in the Galley; the microwave "hole" is now the computer desk with another brushed aluminum micro blind there to cover it when not working.

The bedroom folding door has been removed (the hall one is still intact to make a bed/bath SUITE), and a heavy brocade door curtain is being hung (with heavy ornate tassles and fringe at the bedroom opening).

In the Salon, the stereo has been rewired with "Monster Wire"...and the 8-Trak has been replaced with "Trapazoid" "coke-bottle green edged" lucite shelving for CDs (3-shelves) behind the "Tampour Doors"...The same vinyl has been installed on top of the long stereo/dining credenza in clear lucite over the Burgandy naugahyde (matching the formica table tops), with the "Chrome T-Trim" edges around the credenza AND the table(s).

I'm very proud of it.... The exterior is in very good conditon...but soon I plan on applying new stencils girthing the entire rig and propane cover; and repainting the dark grey under-carriage and propane cover top. I have been very careful to not add any weight...if I wanted an item which weighed more than it's replaced item...I adjusted something else to compensate for it...so as to keep the integrity the same as the Manual states.

My door (the interior of it) is another piece of art....I have painted a tropical mural on the inside of the door.

John....(83 Excella)
I hope this is enough...or not too much.. I know there's more...and I'll add to it when I can. Pictures will definitely be up online soon. My new business has just been taking higher priority...

Cat & Bear

"dreamin' of 'streamin'
Old 07-11-2002, 08:33 PM   #2
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Bear's Update CORRECTIONS

That's "THIN Steel panels" on the refrig...
That's "TRUCK" paint on them..

and
That's "Tambour" doors...on the stereo....Tambour are the 'rool-up (and down) doors, FYI...
THIN
Old 07-11-2002, 09:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Use the Edit function....

Cat;

You can go back to your original message and press the "Edit" button at the bottom of its frame anytime and make all the changes to your post that you need to. Trust me. I edit mine many times the first couple of minutes after posting because I always miss several somethings.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 12:12 AM   #4
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Editing posts

Thank you ... I didn't trust that feature...but will now.
I'm kinda a slow learner... & appreciate it.
.........Cat
Old 07-12-2002, 12:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Cat~

Sounds very creative & interesting! Can't wait to see the pictures....you paint such a visual word-picture!

Please share them when you get a chance!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Cat~

Sounds very creative & interesting! Can't wait to see the pictures....you paint such a visual word-picture!

Please share them when you get a chance!

Shari
Old 07-18-2002, 07:33 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Cat....we need to see some pictures. Sounds like alot of thought went into making you Airstream a real piece of art. I'm in the process of breaking all the rules on my 1956 Bubble. I plan to give it a sort of Mission Style interior but on the informal side. I had custome made 1/4" plywood made out of very figured quarter-sawn oak (like the old stuff). I'm going to apply it to the walls/ceilings and stain it with die-stains to give it an old look. I've been trying to come up with a neat looking trim piece to cover up the seams. I could trim it with a piece of oak but am trying to think of something that may look cool. Maybe have the stips anchored with the classic looking Olympic rivets to tie in with the Airstream look. I was going to make the other pieces of furniture out of Oak (quarter-sawn) with ancents of Aluminum.

The idea came to me when I saw some picutures of some 1930's trailers with wood in the interior. I want to end up with something that feels warm and cozy and aged. I plan on pulling the trailer with my 31' Airstream motorhome and make it a place for my kids to sleep at night. Have 4 kids and my MH won't fit the whole family in it.

If you or anyone has any good ideas on Retro-30's ideas or places to find unique details that would fit my style I'd love to know.
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 08:06 AM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you want to simply fill the seams fso that they are less visible you could use a matching or contrasting vinyl edge t moulding.

I was able to get a kit with samples from a plastics and cabinet company, as I want to replace some of the edging in my MH. I have relaminated the table and replaced the kitchen counter, but I needed an edge moulding to match. They offer many styles and colors as stock and will do custom if you want to pay the $$.

Here is a link to one of them

http://www.tapeease.com/t-moldin.htm

One other option you may want to consifder if you are doing aluminum accents on the furniture is to see if there is a local shop the could anodize aluminium strips to a close match to your stain. then you could use a strip of alumimum, but it would be a close match to the wood, with the olympic rivet highlights.

now that you know how to post pictures I hope to see more on the bubble project. It sounds like a cool idea!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 10:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
TapeEase also has flexible stainless steel t-moulding. That's what we used when we re-did our edge trim on our counters. There are some pictures on our website, if you want to see it. I think the SS trim was easy to work with and it looks great. They also have several different aluminum trims, however they don't appear to be as flexible for the curves unless you have special bending tools. If you are doing alot of it, it may be worthwhile to invest in the tools.

Anyway, the wood/metal combo sounds like one of the Ralph Lauren trailers...it'll look great!

Shari
Old 07-18-2002, 10:34 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Molding idea

Yet another material to use could be wood strips cut to fit the seams. You could do these in a a light sealed wood such as ash and create a "woody" look like that of 1940's station wagon woodies. This may not be the look you are after but is one way to go.
sbernasconi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 12:12 AM   #11
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Trims & Mouldings

Kzener40... I think I hear what your're saying...and yes there are a lot of ways to go... I think you need to go to a fabric store...!! (shock! ... check it out...the trim on spools by the yard. That's what I'm using on mine. A little non-flammable fabric glue (read the label...it must adhere fabric to vinyl or wood), will do it. I'm using a TREE in my bedroom... and silk on the walls (with burnt edges). (I don't smoke).

Shari...you don't need special tools for the rigid Aluminum trim...just lots of carefully wrist-motion with a super large cloth-covered rubber mallet. As I said, installation isn't for the faint of heart. IT bends beautifully...
I'd like to see your website...can you drop the link in an email on this thread? Thanx all...and please be patient ... the photos will be downloaded around the lst of october....I'm leaving 8/10th and won't return until 9/10..for holiday.

Cat
Old 08-13-2002, 08:58 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Scotti
Smile 1970 Safari Interior floor plans

Hi Sorry to bug ya new at this. I am looking for floor planns for my 1970 safari I just picked it up on the weekend. Looking for pics of interior of this particular model. Any help would be greatly apprecitated.

Scotti
Old 08-13-2002, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Cat ~

You can always click on the "www" button at the bottom of the post of folks with a webpage, in the grouping with "profile", "pm", "search", etc. If the member does not have a webpage as part of their profile, this button will not appear.

Anyway, here it is, just in case my description isn't clear:

www.insideout-design.net/maxwell

Enjoy!

Shari