Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2022, 09:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Custom Mattress Replacement

We're remodeling our 2015 Flying Cloud Rear Queen
One of the things we want to replace is the mattress, We have the "standard" 60 x 75 with 11" radius corners
Besides Matress Insider I haven't been able to locate other mattress companies who can do the "custom" mattress we want. we tried Ghost Bed, Denver Mattress.
Who are other places we could look?
Thanks in Advance
Streamerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
I loved our Tuft & Needle at first, but over the last year it didn't support my spine enough and my back was stiff and sore when camping. I just got the Mattress Insider Park Meadow hybrid mattress today. This is much more supportive and the quality appears nice. It seems like a great value. The mattress was actually manufactured by Engineered Sleep Mattress Company in Greenville SC. Their reviews seem great. They quoted me 4 weeks, but it took one week. It was made the day I ordered it. There are many other models and sizes to choose from too on the Mattress Insider website. They even have a page showing the most common airstream mattress sizes and how to measure. I was looking everywhere for a hybrid mattress and only found a couple that seemed to make custom sizes and shapes.
Joe15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Give ABLifestyles a try. They make various types for airstreams. I have the coil spring (twin) replacements from them, very very happy with the quality. I don’t like memory foam, but they do sell that type if you prefer it. They were the only place I found to offer coil spring mattresses.

https://www.ablifestyles.net/airstre...s-and-toppers/
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe15601 View Post
I loved our Tuft & Needle at first, but over the last year it didn't support my spine enough and my back was stiff and sore when camping. I just got the Mattress Insider Park Meadow hybrid mattress today. This is much more supportive and the quality appears nice. It seems like a great value. The mattress was actually manufactured by Engineered Sleep Mattress Company in Greenville SC. Their reviews seem great. They quoted me 4 weeks, but it took one week. It was made the day I ordered it. There are many other models and sizes to choose from too on the Mattress Insider website. They even have a page showing the most common airstream mattress sizes and how to measure. I was looking everywhere for a hybrid mattress and only found a couple that seemed to make custom sizes and shapes.
Thanks for the information. We too have the T&N mattress but my DW has back problems and she needs something firmer. A few questions:

1. Do you have twins mattresses?
2. Are you happy with your new mattress now that you have had it for a little while?
3. How much firmer is it (I know it is difficult to define firmness but how does it compare to the standard T&N?
4. And are you referring to mattressinsiders.com?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
We have a queen mattress. They make all custom sizes and even have a page on their site for the most common Airstream sizes.
2. Are you happy with your new mattress now that you have had it for a little while?
We just got it. As soon as we have a warm night that were not working I will try it out.
3. How much firmer is it (I know it is difficult to define firmness but how does it compare to the standard T&N?
It's not hard to notice in this case. Instead of sinking in, I almost feel like I am on top of it. Much firmer than the T&N. There is also more "spring" to it.
That is who I ordered it through. The Park Meadow Hybrid, but there are other choices. I wanted the hybrid because of its pocketed coils.

Being from PA as you know, our camping season is just starting. After a couple weeks of prep we'll be using it regularly.
When we recently ordered the mattress we were told four to six weeks. It arrived in five days.
The hybrid mattress came in a box and was fully ready to use in just minutes. There was almost no off gassing from it.
It has been a pleasant experience purchasing it. All expectations exceeded so far.

Have a great 2022 camping season!
Old 04-02-2022, 10:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Joe,

Thanks so much for your response. Very helpful.

Could you please post again after you get a chance to try out the new mattress. We would appreciate your input.

BTW, seeing you are a fellow Pennsylvanian I'm curious if you are in the AS Club?

Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2022, 04:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We had our twin mattress made at the Mattress Factory in Phoenix. They had us come in and had us try out many different layers of form until they had us laying on a cloud. I had them make both mattresses with a top on both sides so each year I swap them from left to right no mattresses sage.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
We have a queen mattress. They make all custom sizes and even have a page on their site for the most common Airstream sizes.
We just got it. As soon as we have a warm night that were not working I will try it out.
It's not hard to notice in this case. Instead of sinking in, I almost feel like I am on top of it. Much firmer than the T&N. There is also more "spring" to it.
That is who I ordered it through. The Park Meadow Hybrid, but there are other choices. I wanted the hybrid because of its pocketed coils.

Being from PA as you know, our camping season is just starting. After a couple weeks of prep we'll be using it regularly.
When we recently ordered the mattress we were told four to six weeks. It arrived in five days.
The hybrid mattress came in a box and was fully ready to use in just minutes. There was almost no off gassing from it.
It has been a pleasant experience purchasing it. All expectations exceeded so far.

Have a great 2022 camping season!
Joe,

Have you had an opportunity to try your new mattress yet?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
I have only gotten to sleep in it two nights so far. My hips did not hurt. The mattress is much firmer. I think it needs some use to fully break in and I am pretty sure I will like it, but it is too soon to tell 100%. It is much different than the T&N. I will likely report back after an extended stay.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
I have only gotten to sleep in it two nights so far. My hips did not hurt. The mattress is much firmer. I think it needs some use to fully break in and I am pretty sure I will like it, but it is too soon to tell 100%. It is much different than the T&N. I will likely report back after an extended stay.
Joe, thanks so much for posting your test results thus far. It is sincerely appreciated!

Are you going to the International Rally this year?
Old 06-22-2022, 11:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
I have gotten many nights on the new mattress now. It is comfortable and has solved my hip pain. No more tightness in the hips in bed or the following day, even on decent length walks & hikes. If you're having hip pain from not having enough support from the T&N mattress, you might want to try this hybrid.

Our GT is a 2020 with slots in the bed platform. I believe they are there to help prevent mold in the foam mattresses. The coils of the new mattress were not supported in these slots and seemed as if left unattended would eventually poke through the bottom of the mattress. I cut some luan to fit the portion of the base with slots and velcroed it in place. That way it can be removed if I ever go back to a foam mattress. The hybrid mattress with coils on the bottom should be fine without the ventilation.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
I have gotten many nights on the new mattress now. It is comfortable and has solved my hip pain. No more tightness in the hips in bed or the following day, even on decent length walks & hikes. If you're having hip pain from not having enough support from the T&N mattress, you might want to try this hybrid.

Our GT is a 2020 with slots in the bed platform. I believe they are there to help prevent mold in the foam mattresses. The coils of the new mattress were not supported in these slots and seemed as if left unattended would eventually poke through the bottom of the mattress. I cut some luan to fit the portion of the base with slots and velcroed it in place. That way it can be removed if I ever go back to a foam mattress. The hybrid mattress with coils on the bottom should be fine without the ventilation.
Joe,

Thanks for the updates on your experience with the new mattress. We are going to give this a try.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:07 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2021 23' International
P , California
The mattress that came with my 2021 FB23 started out firm but after a year sags on the spot where I sleep which causes back pain in the morning. I weight 200 pounds so this should not have happened. This is a common issue with most house mattresses too.
So now I'll try a Japanese futon which was designed to place on a floor or hard surface area for sleeping. After all half of the world sleeps on soft carpets or other ultra-firm surfaces. And guess who has all of the back pain?
Either way I'm off in August for a few months on the road and will report back.
Old 07-21-2022, 10:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
www.mattressinsider.com - custom mattresses for Airstream

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 12:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
www.mattressinsider.com - custom mattresses for Airstream
We bought a new mattress for our 2002 19' from Mattress Insider a couple of years ago and find it very comfortable. The trailer's bed requires a specially shaped mattress and they provided exactly what is needed.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote