Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lightbulb cushion foam

Does anyone know how you can wash the foam cushions to get a musty smell out of them ? Would regular detergent work ? Then is it possible to dry foam under low heat in a laundromat ? Help please !!!
airtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My suggestion would be to replace and not even try to clean them. The cost of good foam is not very much. You can choose the thickness and density. We even have two different densities on the same cushion so it will give support but feel cushy on the tushy. These are on the former sofa each is over 6' long and cost us less than $75.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Two questions? Have you gotten the covers off the foam cushions? Is it a dirty, cigarette/smokey smell or moldy/mildew smell?
I ran into a similar situation, I think like all trailer owners, when I first got my GT. I talked to my brother-in-law who is professional antique furniture restorer, repairman. His advice was if there is mold or mildew on a foam cushion, it's in the cushion and needs to be replaced. It's not practical to try to clean them. A larger chain fabric store can get you the correct foam at a reasonable price.
I have taken the covers off the cushions and washed them with good results. The bad foam in the front gaucho, gone.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:59 PM   #4
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
foam's cheap... everything else is expensive

I concur with these answers. We replaced all the foam in our 1999 AS because of the musty smell. It was only a couple hundred for the couch, a bit less for the dinette.

Unfortunately, we also re-upholstered. The labor wasn't too bad - again a couple of hundred per. But the fabic!!! OMG!!! That was a killer!
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
A great DIY source of quality foam, cut exactly to size and specification is http://foamsource.com . The are based out of Boulder, CO.

I used them for a reupholster job I did in older trailer with a BAD mildew problem, and I was quite pleased, especially with the custom sizing. Everything fit EXACTLY as expected.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello airtim,

Yes and yes definately replace the foam or have your cushions completely redone. was in my 60 trdwnd .Nice and new ,clean fresh smell .totally worth it when there all redone and installed ,then you take a lounge on the cushions ,oh yeah !! Many fabrics and retro fabrics available .

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
An offer

I have two foam back cushions from my former 22' International that are essentially brand new; just the foam with no covers. I replaced them with softer foam when I did some interior work.

Free to anyone in the Austin, Texas area who will pick them up or meet me at a convenient place. I will be glad to measure them for you. Send me a PM if you are interested.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote