Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2002, 08:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Confusion

I recently hauled a 1957 Bubble home to evidently rebuild - I'd thought a little spriffing up would be all that was required but found some wood rot and started poking around and am now about 70% finished gutting the poor little thing. I don't know what I'm doing but everytime I see some crummy, I yank it out. I now have a pretty good stack of stuff: 3 burner stove/oven; marine toilet; floor furnace, etc. Before I head for the dump, is there any market for this stuff? I can't see putting in the time/$$ to salvage it.
Also I suspect the floor is at least rotten around the edges and from what I've read on this forum, that's a sort of death knell. Is there anyone out there close to me - I'm in San Luis Obispo, CA. Thanks. Jo Ann
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Market for this stuff?

Joann,

You would be surprised! Dump the idea of the dump! Somewhere out there a person is (our will be) restoring a similar
bubble and would kill to have those original parts.

Put them on e-bay or offer then here.

As for San Luis Obispo, Am and just about sure we have some members in your area.

Moderators ... can we search by state from the database?

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
ABSOLUTELY!!!! You may want to check out some of the recently closed auctions on ebay...you'd be amazed!
Might help subsidize your restoration!

Shari

P.S. Do you have a Jack Plate???
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 09:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Jack Plate?

I assume that is something you put under the jack, no - under the trailer and between the jack and the bottom of the trailer to keep from jacking up THROUGH the floor of the trailer, or the belly pan or something? Let me just say that if I've got one, I haven't found it yet. I still need to get a flashlite and crawl into the rear storage area. So far, a whole bunch of leaf-footed plant bugs have shown up while I was at work inside the Bubble - I'm thinking they were cozy'ed up for the winter until I hauled their sorry little hinnies back to warmer climes so now I'm stepping on them fast as I can. I wear boots for this.
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
It goes on the ground, to hold the wheel on the tongue jack. Here's what one looks like...

Jack Plate

One recently sold on ebay for $585! This one doesn't appear to be doing as well...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 05:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I would not get rid of anything until the restoration is completed.

Especially the cabinets. They can be used as patterns for new wood replacement.

As you progress and hang out here, you will discover how hard it is to find things for an Airstream as vintage as yours. I would rather hang on to something for a year than regret having tossed it. I rented a small storage locker for the guts of a Globetrotter to keep everything in one place and out of the way and dry.

Parts for the oven/stove are hard to come by. If you are replacing it, someone could probably use the parts. Knobs, burners, grills...

If you are ever planning on selling the Bubble, the value will lie in how original the restoration is. The Bubble is a valued find and restored right will bring you top dollar and value, not to mention a sense of accomplishment.

The floor repair will only work and last if you do it right. This would require replacing whole pieces and not trying to just patch it. Probably the worst thing to have to work on. Be glad you have a small trailer and not a 27 footer.

Keep us informed on your progress and discoveries.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags