Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #1

Colorado Springs , Colorado
Talking Color Scheme HELP! 1973 Argosy

HELP! Anybody with interior design knowledge, I could really really really use your help with figuring out a color scheme for my 1973 26ft Argosy that would go with my super awesome (and original) GREEN kitchen appliances. I've attached photos of my Green Machine (I've been working on a name for my baby, I just got it this weekend!)

So here's the deal, tomorrow I begin stripping the vinyl clad yellowish-white walls and by the end of the week I hope to have the walls buffed and shiny, well at least stripped (wishful thinking). It currently has a dark green carpet, which will stay for now but I intend on installing snap-in light bamboo flooring.

So what I need help with, because I am by no means an interior designer, is what color(s) to paint the yellow plastic interior end caps, what color(s) should I paint the cabinets, and/or strip the brown cabinet paper and clear coat the wood underneath it. The thing with clear coating the original wood on the cabinets is that the smaller cabinet pieces are a light wood and larger wall pieces are a darker reddish wood - and from what I understand it's nearly impossible to lighten wood.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10817...COjIz8m9zv38RQ

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP WITH THIS!
Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Your wood cabinets look to be in good shape, I would leave them alone for now. The flooring will make a huge difference.
I painted my endcaps off white. The PO painted the interior of mine blue with clouds... yikes! so I repainted all of the walls including the endcaps.
I would stick with neutrals for the bedding, curtains and gaucho fabric, then accent the color with accessories or pillows and such. it can get really busy in a hurry if you overdo it. There are lots of great pics out there to get ideas.
Good luck!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
So what kind of paint did you use to paint the interior? a premium latex? I'm trying to figure out if the original interior is vinyl over aluminum or is it painted? If it's vinyl, is there a special paint to use?

Thanks
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
You might try an interim step before painting. I used a bleach solution on the zolatone in our trailer, to clean it up but it also lightened the color. If you paint it, it's a solid, dense finish and you might want to experiment before committing to a painted surface.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I used "Simple Green". It worked really well to clean all the surfaces in our '74 Argosy. Spray it on full strength and rinse with clean water.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I used "Simple Green". It worked really well to clean all the surfaces in our '74 Argosy. Spray it on full strength and rinse with clean water.
I'll second the Simple Green recommendation (there are other similar cleaners as well, if you prefer.) It cleaned stuff off the interior skins I didn't really expect to come completely clean.

Oh, and to answer one of the earlier questions: The interior skins are aluminum with a vinyl coating. The vinyl is very tough and it's a good idea to try to clean it before trying to paint it... after all, if you don't like the look after it's really clean, the skins will be more prepared to paint.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Nashville , Tennessee
Send a message via Skype™ to Kartimel
It looks like you post is a couple of years old so hopefully you found some good solutions. We just purchased an Argosy and the interior walls need to be 'dealt with' in some fashion. We thought about taking them down and putting up something fresh but that sounds like WAY too much trouble. How did yours turn out? I just tried to view on the google link and am waiting for acceptance. I would love to see pictures.
Kartimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #8

Colorado Springs , Colorado
I shared my album with you, but what would be better is if you took a look at this: http://1973argosy.blogspot.com/

I ended up stripping the walls and fell in love with the aluminum underneath and kept that in the end.
Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote