Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Question CO smoke detector questions

Can anyone out there who is an actual engineering type tell me what the difference is between a battery operated smoke/CO detector used in a residential/ commercial setting (thus sold at at a reasonable price in any home store) and one that is sold with the RV certification at twice the price? Is there any reason a home detectors can not be used in an RV other than a lawyer being involved somewhere in the process. I'm not taking about the 120v 12v hardwire types.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Would you think it might have something to do with sensitivity? Maybe the RV models take a bit more combustion in hand before they go off. Smaller volume to monitor, more a chance of cooking setting them off.......Although we carry a shower cap to put on ours when we start the toaster up.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Would you think it might have something to do with sensitivity? Maybe the RV models take a bit more combustion in hand before they go off. Smaller volume to monitor, more a chance of cooking setting them off.......Although we carry a shower cap to put on ours when we start the toaster up.

Jack
Great idea! Now I have a reason to take the free shower cap from the hotel room. I know it's not to keep my hair dry. That went down the drain years ago .

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #4

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Great idea! Now I have a reason to take the free shower cap from the hotel room. I know it's not to keep my hair dry. That went down the drain years ago .
When ours goes off it causes one of our dogs to go into the shake and cower mode. Even pulling the thing down off the ceiling prior to cooking sends shivers of terror into him. Patty came up with the idea and it really works great. It also gives us a good visual to remember to pull it off when we are done cooking.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-13-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
getting back to the original question...

The ones certified for RV use, are supposed to stand up to shock, vibration, and temperature variances better than a home unit.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
The one that came with our 2005 Safari is very sensitive, perhaps again the small space. A slice of unburned toast will set it off. But what it has that I haven't seen elsewhere is a button that cuts the sensitivity for about 2-3 minutes, allowing you to do toast without setting it off. During the interval it emits soft occasional beeps as a reminder that it isn't operating at full sensitivity.

It also has a retaining pin that makes it less likely to be shaken from its mount.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #7

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammur
The one that came with our 2005 Safari is very sensitive, perhaps again the small space. A slice of unburned toast will set it off. But what it has that I haven't seen elsewhere is a button that cuts the sensitivity for about 2-3 minutes, allowing you to do toast without setting it off. During the interval it emits soft occasional beeps as a reminder that it isn't operating at full sensitivity.

It also has a retaining pin that makes it less likely to be shaken from its mount.
Yep we have that on ours also. Unfortunately it still sends my old pooch to the nut farm with its warning reminder beeps.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Yep we have that on ours also. Unfortunately it still sends my old pooch to the nut farm with its warning reminder beeps.

Jack
I agree with your pooch. It is less terrible than the full decibel alarm, but still unpleasant.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
Can anyone out there who is an actual engineering type tell me what the difference is between a battery operated smoke/CO detector .
I did not know you could get a combo detector. My belief was that the smoke detector was to be mounted in a high spot (smoke rises) and the CO detector in a low spot (gas forms in pockets on the floor.)
When it comes to something as important as a smoke or CO protector I do not question the cost but do as told.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
I did not know you could get a combo detector. My belief was that the smoke detector was to be mounted in a high spot (smoke rises) and the CO detector in a low spot (gas forms in pockets on the floor.)
When it comes to something as important as a smoke or CO protector I do not question the cost but do as told.
Carbon Monoxide is slightly lighter then air. It basicly will mix with the air in a room. Suggested locations are at eye level in a room, but away from (not above) things such as heater ducts and ovens. I have a battery powered combo CO / Smoke unit in my TT. It is not a RV unit, but a first alert household type. We store it with the towels with no power when in travel mode. When we setup it goes on the wall with batteries and is tested. If you press the test button it will go through both systems and give you an audio readout of the highest CO level (PPM) it has read since last tested.

I think you might have CO confused with Propane. Propane is much heavier then air and will pool on the floor. Propane detectors need to be mounted low near the floor.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote