Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2003, 03:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Cleaning Interior; No Electric; Inverter ??

Trailer is parked at storage yard.
No electricity available there.

Need to run vacumn cleaner, electric drill motor, 4 inch side grinder, sabre saw, possibly circ saw (Skil), box fan (for circulation after cleaning walls), 100 watt trouble light at times.
Should only need one device running at one time.
I have 100 ft extension cord 10 gauge.
Also have some 14 or 16 gauge 100 ft cords.
And a 25 ft 14 or 16 gauge extention cord.

Lowes has a 400 Watt Power Invertor (Vector brand) for 30 dollars.

What can I expect if I hook that up to my truck and try to use the above devices in the trailer?
Will need at least 50 ft of cord to reach the farthest point from truck.

What harm might come to my truck and its battery life? and Alternator?
Will I have to leave the truck running?
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 04:35 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Guys,
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but a 400 watt inverter is not going to be able to run much more than your trouble light The 400 watts is probably the peak rating for that unit so it will run continous at around 350 watts FWIW a average skill saw needs around 1000 watts at no load. We use 5000 watt inverters on our maintenance trucks. You could probably get by with a 1200 watt unit, barely. You would want to make sure you run the truck once an hour or so to keep from totaly draining the battery. A small generator would be a better choice if you can beg, borrow or buy one. As far as running cords, the larger the gauge (smaller the number) the better to limit line loss. Personally I don't bother with cords under 12 gauge.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Amperage draw

Individually, both the vaccuum and the circular saw will draw in excess of 80 amps from the 12 volt system.

If you do wire a converter system to your truck, I would recommend having someone do a quick calculation on what guage wires may be necessary for the interconnect.

Here in the mid-south portable generators are available at rental houses on a weekly or daily basis for a nominal sum.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote