Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Question Check systems in gutted trailer?

My recently aquired 1973 31' Sovereign was partially gutted by PO. The major system items are still there such as water heater, heater, stove, refrigerator and even what appears to be an original Onan generator. The question is how can I go about testing each of these systems to determine if they work or should be replaced, keeping in mind that the electrical, water and propane lines may need some rework too. Could I, for example, take each item out of the trailer and take it somewhere to have it checked out free-standing? I could of course just decide to replace everything to be on the safe side but that seems wasteful.
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I see no reason the systems could not be bench tested at a qualified facility leaving as the only variable the wiring and plumbing hookups of the trailer itself.
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Malconium, the most common denominator of the systems you list is the propane supply. I would start there, and ensure that is safe and legal. You need the tanks to be within their certified dates, fitted with OPD valves, and with recent rubber hoses without cracks. The regulator needs to be checked for 11 inches of pressure, and the whole system checked for leaks. Once you have a safe and legal propane supply, I suggest you light the stove and oven and repair any defects. The next could be the water heater, as that is probably only propane powered. Servicing this is not complicated, involving removal of soot, adjustment of the burner, and blowing sediment out of the tank with a water jet. If the heater then works, and the tank does not leak through corrosion holes, then all is O.K. The air heater should be serviced before use, as there may be obstruction of the vents by mud daubers, etc. Most people will leave this job to a qualified professional, and you could certainly disconnect the heater and take it to be serviced. Removal of the heater does, however, require confidence in disconnecting electrics and the gas line.The forum search facility will give details on how to service the other appliances. I suspect that, from the way you have put the question, your best bet would be to trail the coach to an experienced service agent for the systems to be checked. I would not recommend removal of the refrigerator or water heater, just for them to be checked. Have fun! Nick.